Changing instructors Watch

KJT2007
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Been learning with BSM on and off for about a years. Took a break for my exams now would like to resume. because I'm no longer a student i now pay the full rate, just wondering whether I should consider switching as i mainly choose BSM because of the discount as i know there are cheeper instructors. What d'ya think?
nk_angel89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I reckon you should change, in my experience with bsm my instructor was terrible and not really worth the money. I changed and you end up getting a new perspective on your driving and i passed this morning
i suggest an independent driver -dunno why really, just my experience
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've heard nothing but bad words about BSM and AA instructors. Steer well clear imo.

Independant schools seem to be the best option. I'm with an independant one now and I'm dead impressed. I did have an AA instructor for 3 months last year, and she sucked.
KJT2007
yeah my current instructor is OK, had to change a few months back and he's better than my 1st one, so would be only changing because of the cost really, but not sure whether its worth starting a fresh at this stage
campbell87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know a few people who changed to independant instructors, some were great some not so great, try getting some reccomendations off friends etc and ring up a few instructors for quotes. I don't think Ill ever go with BSM or AA, there so expencive and I get the feeling that some teach you in a way so you fail and they get more money from you
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by campbell87)
BSM or AA, there so expencive and I get the feeling that some teach you in a way so you fail and they get more money from you
That's what my AA ADI did... made me drive for weeks and weeks without mentioning maneouvres.
Spiffy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont get why people pay so much for driving lessons with these big companies when there are independant instructors out there who offer much cheaper prices so that they can compete for work.
KJT2007
so you don't hold much value is sticking with an instructor who knows you?
Thats the only reason why i'm hesitating as it feels too much like starting from scratch
Balky_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well I'm going to stick up for my poor driving instructor from BSM lol. I have nothing but good words to say about my experience with the company. My instructor is brill and puts me at ease and tbh from going off what my friends have said about their instructors, it seems I've hit the jackpot with mine. With large companies it is fairly obvious that some of their instructors will be better than others and it is hit or miss if you get a good one. The price differes from area to area and so I will not commet too much on that. Although I must say that what I pay for my lessons is about the same as my friends pay for their lessons with other large companies but also with independents.
To the OP, I suggest that you ask friends/family to recommend a driving instructor, have a lesson with him/her and see how you get on with it. If you find that you like your new instructor and the price is cheaper then it is obvious what you should do. If you feel that you prefer your old instructor and don't mind paying extra for familiarity then stick with him/her.
You will get to know a new instructor just the same way as you have gotten to know your current one and this shouldn't put you off changing.

Sorry for the long post....I tried to keep it short lol
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think you should change if you're not happy with your instructor. The price shouldn't be the main thing. I switched and it's radically improved my driving, I didn't realise as I didn't know any better that my old instructor was actually really rubbish and let me pick up a lot of bad habits which I've had to break. If your instructor has let you get away with sloppy habits, you should switch and go for someone stricter who'll really get you up to test standard.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you're not happy, switch. Anyway, how could you possibly find anyone more expensive than BSM if you tried? Other people also offer discounts, you know, with much cheaper starting prices.
KJT2007
Thanks for your advice- much appreciated
After thinking about it I've decided to stick with my current instructor for the time being. I don't have a problem with him, in fact he's tons better than my previous one, and I feel its probably not the best time to switch. Although I'll let him know the situation as it might change
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.52%
No (286)
74.48%

Watched Threads