Do we need to behave better on holiday? Watch

Have Your Say
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
British stag and hen parties heading to Prague have made the city a hotspot for travellers getting into trouble.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office says a disproportionate amount of consular assistance is given to Britons visiting the Czech city.

More Britons lose their passports, get arrested or hospitalised in the country than some more popular destinations.

Top of the list of countries where Britons require consular assistance is Spain - also the most popular holiday destination.

Do the British behave worse than other nationalities when abroad? Should we be more thoughtful? Have you needed consular help in a foreign country? Send us your comments and experiences.

Click here to read the main story (on the BBC website)
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
britian has long had a reptuation for loutish behavior on holiday,
mudblood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it's embarrassing that we have people acting like complete idiots on holiday and making the English look like cavemen - if they have to get that drunk to enjoy themselves there's something missing in their heads.
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What do you mean "on holiday"?
recneps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Segat1)
What do you mean "on holiday"?
Quite... you only have to walk around a city at night (especially around kicking out time) to see that behaviour even at home is far from exemplary!

The British in general seem to have a low alcohol tolerance and a high alcohol consumption. I'm not claiming to be perfect here (far from it - i've done plenty of silly things when drunk) but I have never seen the attraction in walking around the centre of town drunk, breaking things, urinating in doorways, and starting fights.

The fact that we behave like tihs in our own country means its hardly surprising that when on holiday, and even more "relaxed" (for relaxed read pissed) we behave like neanderthals.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"We?" - I'm not in any way associated with the underclass louts who destroy European cities, we simply happen to share a passport.
Schmokie Dragon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm with Lib North (sorry, Libertin du Nord) on this one.

But I do think that "Brits" on holiday have earned themselves an unfavorable reputation. And from what I have seen, a lot of them deserve it. Indeed, some people only go on holiday to binge drink, club and get a unhealthily dark tan. But some of us are very well behaved =)
mudblood
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
"We?" - I'm not in any way associated with the underclass louts who destroy European cities, we simply happen to share a passport.
I would give rep if I hadn't used it today - I share your sentiment.
dave
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well put.
I think British society as a whole needs to re-evaluate it's definition of the word "behaviour".
recneps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sorry Lib! I totally agree with you. If i travel to a european city its to see the sights there, not destroy them.

Unfortunately it seems that a large proportion of british tourists might not agree
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, the British do need to behave better on holiday. "They" (I'm not saying "we" because I don't consider myself part of this minority who behave like louts as if they have never seen a bar before) need to definitely work on their behaviour abroad and help re-evaluate the reputation of this country. In fact, many need to behave better in this country too, not just out of it.
Catsmeat
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by The Anthropologist)
Indeed i think some individuals need to. More and more drunken, rebellious and quite frankly loutish people can be seen in tourist regions that were once peaceful and untouched.
Absolutely. Many British tourists tend to believe that once they have crossed the border out of their own country that regular laws and civic regularity no longer apply to them; drunken behaviour, fighting, noise, disturbance, vandalism, theft. This list of crimes is not befitting of any person, and why many 'louts' allow themselves to get involved in such activity speaks a lot for what remains a very potent sense of cultural Imperialism amongst the British.

I mean by this that many British people (certainly not all) believe that they have an inate sense of superiority which somehow becomes focused when abroad. They treat the local inhabitants like idiots, often openly abuse the culture and show very little inclination to reciprocate (to learn about the country which they are visiting).

This is why we need more international, cross-border accountability about tourism; if somebody behaves badly abroad they should be punished for it, not be allowed to get away with it simply because they are not a citizen of the host country. When abroad, you become a diplomat for the country which you have come from and should therefore act with according sensability, control and good manners.
Consie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bratislava was a ****ing hell hole anyway, I’m glad I got trashed. That said, pissing on a restaurant wall resulted in us getting chased by its gangster owners in Porchse jeeps, my brother getting a gun to his head, and our taxi on the way back to the airport getting rammed off the road. All we did was piss on his restaurant wall. The armed police patrolling the streets watched him point the gun to my brothers head too. Perhaps if we were more sober we wouldn’t have risked our lives.

Just shows you joining the EU means ****, Slovakia is still the Wild East.
Higgy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If someone pissed on my restaurant wall i would want the right to hold a gun to their head while they cleaned it off. Drunk or not surely people know not to piss on peoples property its disgusting.

But back on topic i think when the Brits go abroad its not seen as 'real' life, its a break from the grey wet boring British summer so lets drink lots i say why not.....although in my view drunk or not you should be able to control yourself, if you cant then its more than just drink that makes people act like an arse
happy cola
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
90% of Brits abroad make me feel physically sick.

It is so infuriating and embarrassing to see Sun reading, Manchester United worshipping, fat, drunken ****s behaving completely out of order just because it's not their country they're ruining.

They should be culled, seriously. It's disgusting.

Consie you're a prick. Every post you make sees you championing anything loutish and moronic. You have some oxbridge chip on your shoulder but really, that doesn't excuse you being a **** person and an embarrassment to decent British people. Get over yourself.

Bring on the neg rep.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Make that 90% of the visible ones. I imagine people like myself probably aren't that noticable as being distinctly British as we aren't pissing on people's walls like disrespectful little *****.
Consie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my mum and dad just got back from a quiet resort in Mallorca that was about 40 minutes away from the dreaded Magaluf. They went in to see why it had such a reputation and found that all the kids were pretty well behaved - no fights, no throwing up on streets. People were having a laugh but not being dicks. Suprised me.

Consie you're a prick. Every post you make sees you championing anything loutish and moronic. You have some oxbridge chip on your shoulder but really, that doesn't excuse you being a **** person and an embarrassment to decent British people. Get over yourself.
... :|
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Urgh drunken louts. It's what you see on those TV shows all the time.

Some people have no dignity or self-respect and make their country look bad.
djchak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Suprisingly...the Brits who go to florida are mostly well behaved.

Why? :eek: Because:

You have to be 21 to drink in the US.
95% are families with little kids that are there to stay at attractions like Disney world.
Most of them want good service and great shopping....and you can't avoid it in the US....

Oh, and if you get out of line, we will TASER your ass first, then pull out the guns if we have to... nuff said. We tend to crack down on hooligans HARD. :cool:
Rainygal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol ^^, ITA.

in response to the q posed in the title posed by this thread - yes!! it is so easy to point out brits abroad before hearing them speak, just by looking at how they behave, it's so embarassing!
tommorris
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Completely agree with Mr. Libertin. All this "we" stuff is just communitarian propaganda. It is not "the British" who engage in this kind of thuggish stupidity while abroad, it is individual people.

I did see a documentary (or something approximating that genre) a while back about football hooliganism at the World Cup in Germany last year. To be honest, if you spend your money flying out to Germany only to spend it in a jail cell, that's your money you've wasted, not mine. It must suck to have your city taken over by louts.

Perhaps if schools taught foreign languages with some degree of adequacy in this country, then the desire by certain people in this country to act like complete and total tits while on holiday may decrease somewhat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (78)
30.12%
No - I got the required grades (148)
57.14%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.74%

Watched Threads