The Student Room Group

Kind of regretting my university decisions, should I be?

Hey all,

So I got BCDD at AS, dropped the C and was predicted BBB in all my other subjects (Maths, Computer Science & graphics).

I was looking at York for computer science, who ask for AAB-ABB, but I was specifically asked to achieve ABB.

Results day came along and I managed to achieve A* - Maths, A* - Graphics, A - Computing.

I could obviously have adjusted to almost any university, but I stayed at York because all my friends and family where saying I probably should because I've had my heart set on it for so long.

So I did opt to stay at York, but going through London the other day I passed Imperial college and I just started to think that maybe I should have gone to London, I have good funding due to a relative dying and leaving me a large amount of money for uni, and I have always loved London.

I mean, do you guys think I should be regretting staying at York? Will my job opportunities in the future be significantly lower since I'm staying at York? There was too much choice for me, I just don't want to feel like I could have done better Uni wise yah know? I know York is great! But I don't wanna have a lower chance of getting dream jobs in the future because I didn't take that leap of faith.

Thanks,
Cas
I'm in a similar situation, I got offers from both King's and York and put York as my first choice as it was originally my first choice and I only applied to King's on a whim. I questioned it a lot at first but I'd like to think I made the right choice, although reputation is important and all, actually enjoying the university you want to go to is even more important as it'll make it easier to do well. Being stuck at a university that you're not comfortable in can't be good for your grades and mental health.

Although Imperial may seem like a better option you have no idea what the atmosphere is like and having never visited it may not know if it'll have everything that attracted you to York. Reputation is important but there's a reason why teachers recommend you visit universities to get a feel for them before putting them down as your first choice no matter how good they may seem.

If you were originally set on York you must have been for a reason, I'd recommend sticking with your gut feeling :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by imjustnotnormal
I'm in a similar situation, I got offers from both King's and York and put York as my first choice as it was originally my first choice and I only applied to King's on a whim. I questioned it a lot at first but I'd like to think I made the right choice, although reputation is important and all, actually enjoying the university you want to go to is even more important as it'll make it easier to do well. Being stuck at a university that you're not comfortable in can't be good for your grades and mental health.

Although Imperial may seem like a better option you have no idea what the atmosphere is like and having never visited it may not know if it'll have everything that attracted you to York. Reputation is important but there's a reason why teachers recommend you visit universities to get a feel for them before putting them down as your first choice no matter how good they may seem.

If you were originally set on York you must have been for a reason, I'd recommend sticking with your gut feeling :smile:

Hmmm, Yeah I guess you're right, I just don't want to regret my decision in the years to come you know? Ironically, doing so well at A2... is kinda lot more stress than just meeting the requirements. What are you studying at York? :smile:
I'm studying Mental Health Nursing which I guess puts me in a different position since it doesn't necessarily matter what uni I go to, I'm pretty much guaranteed a job if I got a good degree.

But it's not like you can really do much about your position now, so I'd say just make the most of your decision and work as hard as you possibly can to get a First and then hopefully it won't matter where you went since you've got a good degree :smile:
Reply 4
I'm studying Mental Health Nursing which I guess puts me in a different position since it doesn't necessarily matter what uni I go to, I'm pretty much guaranteed a job if I got a good degree.

But it's not like you can really do much about your position now, so I'd say just make the most of your decision and work as hard as you possibly can to get a First and then hopefully it won't matter where you went since you've got a good degree :smile:

True true, and I am able to get a first I'm pretty sure any uni will take me for a masters right? And thanks for all the help :smile:
Original post by Cascadess
True true, and I am able to get a first I'm pretty sure any uni will take me for a masters right? And thanks for all the help :smile:

Yh there's no reason why they wouldn't accept you if you make a good application and have a First. No problem! Might see you around at York, any societies you're thinking of joining?
Hey all,

So I got BCDD at AS, dropped the C and was predicted BBB in all my other subjects (Maths, Computer Science & graphics).

I was looking at York for computer science, who ask for AAB-ABB, but I was specifically asked to achieve ABB.

Results day came along and I managed to achieve A* - Maths, A* - Graphics, A - Computing.

I could obviously have adjusted to almost any university, but I stayed at York because all my friends and family where saying I probably should because I've had my heart set on it for so long.

So I did opt to stay at York, but going through London the other day I passed Imperial college and I just started to think that maybe I should have gone to London, I have good funding due to a relative dying and leaving me a large amount of money for uni, and I have always loved London.

I mean, do you guys think I should be regretting staying at York? Will my job opportunities in the future be significantly lower since I'm staying at York? There was too much choice for me, I just don't want to feel like I could have done better Uni wise yah know? I know York is great! But I don't wanna have a lower chance of getting dream jobs in the future because I didn't take that leap of faith.

Thanks,
Cas

I feel your pain.
Firmed Newcastle for Law and ended up with A*A*A* and now I feel bad since I rejected UCL thinking I wouldn't be able to achieve that A*AA they asked.:angry:
Reply 7
Yh there's no reason why they wouldn't accept you if you make a good application and have a First. No problem! Might see you around at York, any societies you're thinking of joining?

I'm a bit of a geek, so i'll probably join the sci-fi fantasy society, but i've also been practising the martial art Aikido for a few years now, and will continue up in york :smile: what about you? :smile:
I'm a bit of a geek, so i'll probably join the sci-fi fantasy society, but i've also been practising the martial art Aikido for a few years now, and will continue up in york :smile: what about you? :smile:

I'm a bit of geek myself so will definitely be joining the doctor who society! I've heard they have like a cycling group too so might join that aswell :smile:

Have you heard of York Geekfest? It's a convention they hold at the University, definitely check out their FB page it looks great, already bought my ticket!
Reply 9
I'm a bit of geek myself so will definitely be joining the doctor who society! I've heard they have like a cycling group too so might join that aswell :smile:

Have you heard of York Geekfest? It's a convention they hold at the University, definitely check out their FB page it looks great, already bought my ticket!

Ooohhh yes, I might be joining the DW society too :biggrin: And no!?!?!? sounds awesome though!!! I'll check it out :biggrin:
Reply 10

Just got me a ticket too, thanks for the headsup :')
Just got me a ticket too, thanks for the headsup :':wink:

Awesome, hopefully it's as great as it sounds! Are you going to cosplay?! I'm thinking of going as a weeping angel :biggrin:
Reply 12
Awesome, hopefully it's as great as it sounds! Are you going to cosplay?! I'm thinking of going as a weeping angel :biggrin:

naaaah, I always wanna cosplay to stuff but never have the tiiiiiime D: I'll keep an eye out for a weeping angel around campus though :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending