Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Schools Direct or Masters Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I have just competed my BA in early childhood...now I had the intention to apply for school direct next Sept (giving me time to re-bloody-sit my GCSE Biology...however it has dawned on me that applications for next years intake open on the 14th of Oct and I'll need to of done my science by then...yeah impossible...
    Having been to my local uni's open day it was suggested that I apply to do my Masters in Education (early years), as I don't need the gcse's, skills test...and that my 2:1 would be ample enough as well as my 12 years experience within early years...

Question - would you take your time and get science done, skills test and do schools direct for 2018 entry or apply and begin the Masters in April of next year??

Note: I'm having a baby in Jan 2017 so hence the application date being April 2017, thought whilst on Mat leave I could make a good start on the modules...

Thanks in advance....

Kate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EYgrad2016)
    So I have just competed my BA in early childhood...now I had the intention to apply for school direct next Sept (giving me time to re-bloody-sit my GCSE Biology...however it has dawned on me that applications for next years intake open on the 14th of Oct and I'll need to of done my science by then...yeah impossible...
    Having been to my local uni's open day it was suggested that I apply to do my Masters in Education (early years), as I don't need the gcse's, skills test...and that my 2:1 would be ample enough as well as my 12 years experience within early years...

Question - would you take your time and get science done, skills test and do schools direct for 2018 entry or apply and begin the Masters in April of next year??

Note: I'm having a baby in Jan 2017 so hence the application date being April 2017, thought whilst on Mat leave I could make a good start on the modules...

Thanks in advance....

Kate
    If you did the Masters in Education what would you do after? My understanding is an MA like that doesn't lead to a particular career so you would need to have a strong plan for after.

ReputationRep:
    I don't overly think it would be for any particular 'next step' if I'm completely honest...more of a self-achievement.
    I would allow me to go into colleges and teach BTEC students their levels 2/3. Now my college tutors were a credit and their passion and drive for the love of working within early years really hit home with me and I often see part of each of them within my practice when I find myself doing different tasks. And yet I see so many apprentices come through the 'working' doors who just don't have a clue. I would to be able to teach the future passing of nursery nurses the love, drive and passion that I have for the job, the skills and attributes that are needed and that do make a difference...so the idea that the MA would allow me to do that is intriguing.
    But like I stated at the beginning it would be for myself. I have a love for the job, the subject and why not try and go as far with qualifying as you can, if job offers come my way then surely that is nothing more than a bonus?

But I've always wanted to teach. But hearing how teachers currently feel and the constant battle with red tape, makes me think am I mad for going into the profession where there is as much frustration and anger with teachers banging their heads against a brick wall as we are sat within a nursery setting...

What to do...what to do?? argh!

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to have passed your GCSE Science when you apply. Simply state on your application that you are re-taking it in the June before you plan to start and they can make your offer conditional on you passing it. There are several people on my course who were re-taking GCSEs and it wasn't a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minnieuk)
    You don't have to have passed your GCSE Science when you apply. Simply state on your application that you are re-taking it in the June before you plan to start and they can make your offer conditional on you passing it. There are several people on my course who were re-taking GCSEs and it wasn't a problem.

Are you sure?
    When I went to enrol for schools direct they said as UCAS applications open on the 14th of Oct, I had to have my English, Maths and Science??

Perhaps it's different rules for each uni??

I'll send them a quick email via admissions to clarify but thanks for the heads up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.