Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

I have a question here (not really a big deal) but my parents unknowingly bought me CIE study material and I had already registered to write my math exam with the edexcel exam board.

I am just concerned if there are any major differences with regards to the content between the two exam boards? the exam format is not an issue however can I use my CIE textbooks (P1,P2/3 & S1) to study for my edexcel math exams? (C12 & S1)

your response would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhanyaN)
    Hey there

I have a question here (not really a big deal) but my parents unknowingly bought me CIE study material and I had already registered to write my math exam with the edexcel exam board.

I am just concerned if there are any major differences with regards to the content between the two exam boards? the exam format is not an issue however can I use my CIE textbooks (P1,P2/3 & S1) to study for my edexcel math exams? (C12 & S1)

your response would be much appreciated.
    The CIE textbooks will cover more than C12 and S1 content, so it will be up to you to use the specification to single out and study the relevant material from the book. Most, if not all, of the material is on there, but there's also more content that isn't relevant to you, so you'll need to avoid that.

I'd advise highling the table of contents with the topics you need to know by cross referencing the specification.

Also, if there's anything missing from the textbook, make use of examsolutions, it's fantastic for that sort of stuff.

It's not going to be an issue at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    The CIE textbooks will cover more than C12 and S1 content, so it will be up to you to use the specification to single out and study the relevant material from the book. Most, if not all, of the material is on there, but there's also more content that isn't relevant to you, so you'll need to avoid that.

I'd advise highling the table of contents with the topics you need to know by cross referencing the specification.

Also, if there's anything missing from the textbook, make use of examsolutions, it's fantastic for that sort of stuff.

It's not going to be an issue at all.
    Thank you so much for replying and for your advice, i will definitely cross reference. I have already started using exam solutions and its everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhanyaN)
    Thank you so much for replying and for your advice, i will definitely cross reference. I have already started using exam solutions and its everything!
    No worries! Good luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.