How does one invest in the stock market?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this in the wrong place...
    But anyways, how do people go about this? Do you do it yourself, or do you hire someone to do it for you? I don't know much about this, so if you have invested in stocks before please let me know about your experience doing so! Fank you!

ReputationRep:
    get a broker from a bank or investment company. most of the major banks do it.

ReputationRep:
    FYI I've moved this over to the correct section for you! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Probably the simplest and best thing is to get an index tracker unit trust... So at least you aren't getting wallet raped by management fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimkarsd)
    get a broker from a bank or investment company. most of the major banks do it.
    Any particular bank that you'd recommend?

(Original post by Joinedup)
    Probably the simplest and best thing is to get an index tracker unit trust... So at least you aren't getting wallet raped by management fees.
    Hmm..haven't heard of this. I'll look it up, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC, RBS, Lloyds TSB, Barclays, Halifax, Santander, all of them have offices where you can trade shares. i'm not sure which is best tbh but you can contact them and find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)
    But anyways, how do people go about this? Do you do it yourself, or do you hire someone to do it for you? I don't know much about this, so if you have invested in stocks before please let me know about your experience doing so! Fank you!
    One should first spend a large amount of time reading up on this to form his own opinions from a number of sources. Once he is well read he should realise that only through the use of Index Tracker Funds will he make steady and consistent profit over the long term. If he has not yet come to terms with this then he needs to read more.

Do not ever try to think that you can beat the stock market with the "perfect stock"because there are thousands of people who devote their life to taking money off the amateur investor and they always do.

If you are looking to be in a financial position in the future where you will be thinking about stocks to grow your wealth then you should also know that paying down your student loan as early as possible is the best financial investment that you could possibly make whilst in/just out of University.

Hope this helps somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)
    it depends on what you want to put in
    as I had £19,000 in the stock market ( it's £9,000 again now) and I managed it all myself but if you have a lot of shares and a big number say £100,000 plus then it's worth looking at getting it managed for you

ReputationRep:
    This may be late, but iv traded stocks since 13 and what iv learnt is you should first open a demo stock trading account , with plus 500 , my faviroute is IG trading, and just become familure with the terminology and atmosphere than get some books and do resreach online one good webiste for research is stockcharts.com. hope this helps

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.