Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am not obese but i am chubby. I wasn't though before, it just happened.
    I have been trying to lose weight but i dont think it can ever happen. I want to lose like 25kg.

Will it ever work?

ReputationRep:
    Um yes, if calories out is greater than calories in. Cut out all the unhealthy things in your life for a week, see how much you loose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkberry)
    I have been trying to lose weight but i dont think it can ever happen. I want to lose like 25kg.

Will it ever work?
    sweetie, don't worry so much about weight. three years ago, I was an overweight kid but I was damn happy. I thought I would be better if I lost weight (my step dad always used it as an insult, even if to be honest it never was one), and I ended up with anorexia nervosa and on the brink of death, which is not glamorous at all. I know that was an extreme but my point is - I was never happier when I was slim, skinny, or even sickly thin. I was damn miserable. Every single body is different and your body will stay within a range of around 5kg where it is healthiest, and for some people this healthy range is classed as overweight, for some its healthy, for some even underweight. A good idea of your natural set point is looking at your parent's body types, and honestly, if you eat nutritious foods until you are full and satisfied, your body will naturally taper down or add weight until it is in that natural set point.
    your body also goes through chubby phases during puberty - I weigh the same now as when I was classed overweight, however between all that I also shot up four inches, so my weight levelled out. Your body knows what it is doing, trust it. Side note; many people prefer girls and body with a little cuddle chub, and there is nothing wrong with lovely huggable soft bellies or warm thighs. Smile, and love yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachie_)
    sweetie, don't worry so much about weight. three years ago, I was an overweight kid but I was damn happy. I thought I would be better if I lost weight (my step dad always used it as an insult, even if to be honest it never was one), and I ended up with anorexia nervosa and on the brink of death, which is not glamorous at all. I know that was an extreme but my point is - I was never happier when I was slim, skinny, or even sickly thin. I was damn miserable. Every single body is different and your body will stay within a range of around 5kg where it is healthiest, and for some people this healthy range is classed as overweight, for some its healthy, for some even underweight. A good idea of your natural set point is looking at your parent's body types, and honestly, if you eat nutritious foods until you are full and satisfied, your body will naturally taper down or add weight until it is in that natural set point.
    your body also goes through chubby phases during puberty - I weigh the same now as when I was classed underweight, however between all that I also shot up four inches, so my weight levelled out. Your body knows what it is doing, trust it. Side note; many people prefer girls and body with a little cuddle chub, and there is nothing wrong with lovely huggable soft bellies or warm thighs. Smile, and love yourself

Thank you for taking your time and helping me.
    I am called fat by my whole family and that i can never lose weight so i feel upset and unhappy.
    I am overweight in BMI scale. So i just want to be healthy now. I will listen to your advice very well. I will excercise and control my eating so i can become healthy and happy. Not other people to see but so i can feel comfotable with my body.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to lose 25kg, I can only wish you the best of luck. It is saddening to see overweight people accept their sentence to a lesser life when they can do something about it. Kudos for being different.
    25kg is something you won't lose without plenty of hard work and effort. I'd advise to focuse on the end goal and result, and why you're doing it. Don't overdo yourself, and persevere.

ReputationRep:
    If you aim to lose half a kilo per week (very doable, just eat 500 calories under maintenance per day) then you can achieve that goal over the space of one year

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't do it all in one go that's for definite, it'll have a negative affect. Depending on how you feel, you can exercise once a week for a long period of time or once everyday for an hour. At least the latter is what I'm planning to do once I join a gym to lose my chubbiness though I've not set any goal, just to look slimmer in all aspects.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

Will it ever work?
    It's possible, but with some lifestyle changes.

I was over 17 stone a year ago, I'm down to 12.8 now, tbh haven't really decreased my diet (eating a takeaway pizza as I type this!!) but I've done ALOT of excercise (1km run, 2km row and 4 km bike + high frequency weights 5 days a week at the gym).

ReputationRep:
    You need to start eating healthier and cut out junk food. Regular exercise will help too. Drink lots of water.

Cut down your portion size too, will be hard at first but you'll eventually get used to it.

ReputationRep:

Will it ever work?
    Remove snacking completely. Maybe a snack a week may be fine if you're really craving

Have 3 meals a day

Limit your sugar intake, whether or not it is added sugar

Eat more protein and, decrease carbs. This will leave you fuller for longer.

Get yourself into a gym routine and stick to it

A friend of mine lost a good 30+ kg over the past year so it's definitely possible if you're committed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I've heard eating in a smaller plate/bowl helps as it makes the brain thinking you are eating lots since the small bowl/plate would be full. Also resist the temptation of going for seconds. Also eat slower, I think I've heard that reduces how much food is stores as fat but I'm not too sure about this

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight is an incredibly easy concept that seems to completely bewilder so many people for reasons unbeknownst to me. It's a simple principle of calories in vs calories out.

I think something that would help greatly would be an app to track your calorie intake as people often underestimate how much they actually consume within a day.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Will it ever work?
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? You want to lose 4 stone?

Ofc you can lose weight if you got about eating at a consistent safe calorific deficit. Without being at deficit, then you will not lose. If you have tried before then you havent been at deficit.

Weigh and record your food so you know how much you are eating.
    Maintenance and then 500 fewer calories per day for every 1lb you aim to lose per week.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for taking your time and helping me.
    I am called fat by my whole family and that i can never lose weight so i feel upset and unhappy.
    I am overweight in BMI scale. So i just want to be healthy now. I will listen to your advice very well. I will excercise and control my eating so i can become healthy and happy. Not other people to see but so i can feel comfotable with my body.
    I can relate, I was called fat a lot too, and although I was overweight, looking back on photos now, I realise that I had a lovely full figure, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, my body was simply storing much needed energy for growth spurts. Even then, I got more positive attention from others my age than I do now, because a lot of people much prefer someone who is a little more curved to be able to cuddle, whereas older family members just use it as an insult because they grew up in a completely different time, when eating disorders were glamorous and the detrimental effects they have were hushed.
    You're very welcome for this, just please do not diet and cause your body harm, there is absolutely no need for you to force your body to a weight that isn't healthy for it. Like I said, eat until you're satisfied, wear clothes that feel good, have confidence and trust that your body will get to where it needs to be

Will it ever work?
    I'm not trying to lose weight but I've begun to go swimming every other day. It's honestly great. I absolutely hate sports but with swimming you don't get hot and sweaty and you feel pretty good after. I've slept better and I feel so much more healthier. Swimming is really good for losing weight too; maybe give it a shot? The worst that can happen is that you decide that you don't like it which is absolutely ok.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.