MSci in Mathematics, MMath, is there any difference between the two? Watch

zooop
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
If so, what is it? Do you end up with a different degree? And are they classed as postgraduate qualifications even though I will be doing one of them as an undergraduate in sept? Thanks
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
An MSci is usually a 4 year undergraduate degree in a science subject; an MMath is essentially the same but specifically in mathematics. I believe each individual university can decide which it wishes to award, and there isn't necessarily a difference between the courses. Both are undergraduate degrees (undergraduate masters courses), but will carry more weight with employers than a BSc, for example, as you have studied for an extra year.
An MSc on the other hand is a one year postgraduate degree which you can do either after a BSc (or similar) or MSci/MMath degree. It won't be as hard if you have already done the undergraduate masters as opposed to just a BSc but won't cover exactly the same stuff and is generally considered to be higher qualification and therefore harder, mainly due to the the requirement for original research.
Hope that helps a bit!
Jenn xx
zooop
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Explains a lot! Thankyou!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads