Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I am going into 2nd year this September. We started physiology at my school in the second semester of 1st year. Even though I found physiology a little challenging initially, I used the resources provided and textbooks( Guyton and Halls, Master of Medicine). I even practiced extra questions before the exams from past papers and textbooks. But despite all this I still wasnt able to get the marks I desired in my final exams.

What I want to know is, how else do I approach this module? And could you also recommend any other resources to better understand concepts?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic96)
    Hi all!

I am going into 2nd year this September. We started physiology at my school in the second semester of 1st year. Even though I found physiology a little challenging initially, I used the resources provided and textbooks( Guyton and Halls, Master of Medicine). I even practiced extra questions before the exams from past papers and textbooks. But despite all this I still wasnt able to get the marks I desired in my final exams.

What I want to know is, how else do I approach this module? And could you also recommend any other resources to better understand concepts?

Thanks.
    Depends on just how much depth your curriculum goes into, but I really recommend the At A Glance series to get your head around physiology. The physiology at a glance book is pretty good, but probably a little shallow. If you get individual ones (Neuroscience & Neuroanatomy at a glance, Respiratory system at a glance etc) they go into much more depth but each topic is still covered fairly well in a couple of pages.

Failing that, using online videos like Armando Hasudungan or Khan Academy to understand anything particularly tricky.

Anything in particular you struggle with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)

Anything in particular you struggle with?
    Thankyou for responding! Will definitely try those!
    Well I struggled with respiratory physiology last semester. I understood the concepts but when it came to applying them to cases I really found it challenging. The exam was entirely in MCQ format. In general though, I feel like I dont have access to enough practice questions and markschemes. During my A-levels it was much easier since the past papers and the markschemes gave me a good idea as to how I am supposed to approach the topic. I have been considering using the revision questions on the BMJ website. Have you used that before and if so would you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic96)
    Thankyou for responding! Will definitely try those!
    Well I struggled with respiratory physiology last semester. I understood the concepts but when it came to applying them to cases I really found it challenging. The exam was entirely in MCQ format. In general though, I feel like I dont have access to enough practice questions and markschemes. During my A-levels it was much easier since the past papers and the markschemes gave me a good idea as to how I am supposed to approach the topic. I have been considering using the revision questions on the BMJ website. Have you used that before and if so would you recommend it?
    I preferred Passmedicine but ask some 3rd years what's better for your course

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.