The Student Room Group

Me and my friend need some time apart, what should I do?

Hey.
Im about to say some horrible things but I don't know what else to do.
I started college last year, and I found it hard to make friends. I would always latch on to one person and then not really have anything to say and then have to leave them for another lesson or not be in at the same times as them and then when I saw them again not know what to say to their friends etc. Anyway, eventually I made friends with someone in one of my classes and at first we got on really well and we had another friend in common too, but eventually they drifted. The two of us basically spent ALL our time together. But the problem is, we're both really focused on work and all we seem to do together now is have the same kind of 'getting to know one another conversations' we did when we first met and then study. We don't have a group, which makes it a bit worse; its just us. And its super awkward. But the thing is, we both kind of have people we know and like who aren't in common, but I for one (and I think my friend too) know how to join in with someone elses group, especially when everyone else has been friends for a year or more, and also I feel really guilty about avoiding my friend to be with other people. Don't get me wrong, my friend is a really really nice and we got along so well at first, we've just become so dependent on one another that its painful spending time together- to the extent that I sometimes try to avoid them (which is shameful behaviour, frankly. My friend does not deserve that). What do I do? I really don't know how to make friends, and I really don't want to abandon my friend because a) I don't want to hurt them and b) I really do like them, but we really, really both need to spend more time with other people because it's just so difficult to be around each other and it feels so fake and forced all the time (for me anyway).
What do I do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending