Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi,

So I have been practicing my QTS maths exams, and have come across percentages without a calculator a lot recently.
    One of my questions is, ' 38 is the highest mark in the exam, out of a possible 40. What is this as a percentage?' I cannot seem to work this out or even quick enough for that matter!!
    any please help me out!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbailey527)
    hi,

So I have been practicing my QTS maths exams, and have come across percentages without a calculator a lot recently.
    One of my questions is, ' 38 is the highest mark in the exam, out of a possible 40. What is this as a percentage?' I cannot seem to work this out or even quick enough for that matter!!
    any please help me out!!
    38/40 =0.95
    0.95*100=95
    Answer = 95%

ReputationRep:
    well to make a percentage try and get it to be /100

what do you multiple 40 by to equal 100

so 40 * a number = 100

after you figure out this number multiple this number by 38 and this will be the equivalent

ReputationRep:
    hi,

any please help me out!!
    You'd start by simplifying it as much as you can to 19/20 (and then you can divide by 2 to get 9.5/10 which you'd multiply by 100 to get 95%, or you can take 19/20 and multiply it by 5 to get 95/100, which is 95%)

ReputationRep:
    hi,

any please help me out!!
    As a fraction, this gives 38/40.
    To work this out as a percentage, you must divide the two and then multiply by 100.
    In order to make the division simpler, simplify the fraction (you can halve both the numerator and denominator), then just divide as usual using a method you know (the bus stop method is the one I always use).

Edit: The above comments work just as well; you have many different methods to choose from!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.