How long does it take to claim tax? Watch

coolworld37
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi,

I finished my 2 week contract at this hellhole of a warehouse a month ago and the idiots taxed me £54 even though I told them hundred times I was a student in full time education. I rang up HM and they told me to send my P60 and a cover letter to their offices in Liverpool so they can decide the outcome. I've not heard anything back yet. Nobody's answering the phone so I have no idea whats going on.

Has anyone here claimed tax? How long did it take for you to get it back?

Thank you.
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
keep ringing.apparently claiming back tax takes time.
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ergh I need to do this too. I don't even have any P60 or P whatever forms. Annoying!
Crystal89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, this happened to me too. Sent my P60 and a covering letter explaining what happened and got a cheque about 3 weeks later. They like to hold on to the money for as long as possible lol.
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i'm sure you can download them (the forms) off the internet.just google them.
Hanski
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you did this job after April 2007 (this year) then I'm pretty sure you won't get it back until after April 2008! Unlucky I know! I still haven't got my tax back from the last tax year (April 06 - April 07)!!! But you will eventually get it back!
iceman_jondoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i have a question ive been in part time employment for my gap year, i will now be starting university in september, whilst continuing with my part - time employment. Will i be able to claim any tax back at all?
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well you weren't a student at the time (during your gap year) so they can tax you. you'll have to contact someone in the organisation or speak to your boss to remind them to not tax you once you start uni.ask them to provide you with the necessary forms (i'm not sure which it is).
iceman_jondoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
thanks for the swift reply
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no worries
keri1988
Report 11 years ago
I've recently just got my tax back from last year. You need to write to your local inland revenue tax office and tell them that you are wanting to claim back your tax. You also have to send them your P45, so that means you can't do it until the end of this tax year (in April) which is really annoying.
Friendly_cow
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my tax took ages to come back, but then i did have 2 jobs which confused them

and just cos your a student doesnt mean your exempt from getting taxed
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
er...yes. students aren't taxed.according to my payslips and student unions anyways.
sequence123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by January Victim)
er...yes. students aren't taxed.according to my payslips and student unions anyways.
Students are taxed on anything above the lower earnings limit (which is around 5000 pounds)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed