Got Gmail? but want another 2GB email storage free? Watch

This discussion is closed.
S1M
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
rather than claiming to be the one who found and brought this all to ya... ill just give you guys the link to the forum where i found it
here it is

2 ways to get it... sign up through MSN explorer (which is what I did)
you can get msn explorer from here

or this (which i havent tryed but it appears to be an easier way):
(Original post by from above forum)
How to get an msn.com account.

Go to http://hotmail.com.

At the .NET Passport Sign-in box, enter anything for the email address, but make sure you add @msn.com and enter anything for the password.

You should just get an sign in error.

Click on Register with .NET Passport, if you haven't already.

Now when the sign up page has loaded up, you should see [username box]@msn.com
once registered you can access the email through the hotmail website (jsut use *@msn.com in the email address bit...

i hope i am allowed to link to other competing forums (well it competes for the computer side but not the on the education)... if I am not then quick sign up before the mods close/edit this thread!!!
swatfa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by S1M)
rather than claiming to be the one who found and brought this all to ya... ill just give you guys the link to the forum where i found it
here it is

2 ways to get it... sign up through MSN explorer (which is what I did)
you can get msn explorer from here

or this (which i havent tryed but it appears to be an easier way):

once registered you can access the email through the hotmail website (jsut use *@msn.com in the email address bit...

i hope i am allowed to link to other competing forums (well it competes for the computer side but not the on the education)... if I am not then quick sign up before the mods close/edit this thread!!!
The second method doesnt work for getting the 2GB, you can only get the 2GB through MSN explorer sign up.
Camford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by swatfa)
The second method doesnt work for getting the 2GB, you can only get the 2GB through MSN explorer sign up.
Which version of MSNE?
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
so it's hotmail?
S1M
Rep:
?
(Original post by moncal)
so it's hotmail?
yup... sort of... but with 2GB storage and a msn.com email instead of 2MB and a hotmail.com address
S1M
Rep:
?
(Original post by swatfa)
well thanks for clearing that up... i had already installed msn explorer when i saw that "easier" method... so i just did it through msn explorer...

(Original post by Camford)
Which version of MSNE?
the one that comes with windows XP should do it... but also the one linked above does it too... heres the link again...

also i should let you guys know that it is not 100% certain that MSN will leave 2GB for everybody as it might be a mistake... because only paying members should get 2GB
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by S1M)
yup... sort of... but with 2GB storage and a msn.com email instead of 2MB and a hotmail.com address
That seems kind of pointless. Why don't they just up hotmail again.
S1M
Rep:
?
That seems kind of pointless. Why don't they just up hotmail again.
well its a mistake in the system... it shouldnt be 2GB but it is... IMO its worth getting one to wait and see if 2GB space stays there forever or not... it shouldnt be 2GB... its only 2GB if you pay... but doing it like this you get it FREE
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by S1M)
well its a mistake in the system... it shouldnt be 2GB but it is... IMO its worth getting one to wait and see if 2GB space stays there forever or not... it shouldnt be 2GB... its only 2GB if you pay... but doing it like this you get it FREE
How do you know it is a mistake? Maybe they want to give away more email space than one could possibly use.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How do you know it is a mistake? Maybe they want to give away more email space than one could possibly use.
I remember reading somewhere that now MSNE is a paid service, since ver. 8. I guess the system is tricked into thinking that MSNE = Paid member. Well, looks like a bug to me.

I got my new 2GB box.
S1M
Rep:
?
I remember reading somewhere that now MSNE is a paid service, since ver. 8. I guess the system is tricked into thinking that MSNE = Paid member. Well, looks like a bug to me.

I got my new 2GB box.
Congratulations... Im glad my spreading of the word helped
everyone better be fast if they want to get one before MSN fix the bug
well if you read the link in the first post from the other forum... they all seem to think that... and also if you look on the MSN site... im sure you will see somewhere a price that they charge for the 2GB email service...
swatfa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&...market%3den-us

$19.95 per year

''MSN Hotmail Plus includes all the features of Hotmail and extra benefits including:

Virtually unlimited storage space
with a 2GB inbox

Increase your capacity to store more
e-mails and files.

Larger file attachments, up to
20MB per e-mail

Easily share your photos, music and documents.

Freedom from the 30-day Hotmail account expiration policy
Your Hotmail account will never expire.*

E-mail without banner advertisements

Enjoy your e-mail free from graphical ads.

35 custom filters to organize your inbox

Sort incoming e-mails automatically to folders of your choice.

- besides, the only way you seem to be able to get it is through the msn explorer as opposed to signing up with ****@msn.com and getting 2GB meaning it wasnt meant to be offered.

however what we 'normal' hotmailers do get later this year which is 'supposidly' meant to compete with gmail is the following:

''All existing MSN Personal Address subscribers will receive 250MB of online storage and the ability to send 10MB attachments at no additional cost when it becomes available this summer. No action is required on your part. ''
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I remembered there's a trial period for free... which means, the 2gb box could be reduced to 2mb overnight... well, then at least I could say, I have had a 2GB box before.
Chubb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I remembered there's a trial period for free... which means, the 2gb box could be reduced to 2mb overnight... well, then at least I could say, I have had a 2GB box before.
So its going to expire then? Oh well at least we still have gmail.
samd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

That's a bit of a blow.
swatfa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i havent heard anything about a trial period. Besides it wouldnt make sense, what happens if you receive and store several mails and large attachments which exceed the usual storage capacity, after the trials finished they just delete it all?
dogtanian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have a free 2GB inbox already, supposedly.

Not had the chance to test it out, mind... hehe.

www.aventuremail.com is where I got it, but the amount of site downtime is appalling. It's got better, but there's still something off with it; they suspended my account for no reason, making me lose stuff I had in there. And they still haven't got back to me about it.
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I already have an @msn.com account. Will I automatically be upgraded to 2GB?

And why does my @msn.com account still only have 2MB? :|
Chubb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Surfing Hamster)
I already have an @msn.com account. Will I automatically be upgraded to 2GB?

And why does my @msn.com account still only have 2MB? :|
No - its a trick to get around it - the bots think that you are paying.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chubb)
No - its a trick to get around it - the bots think that you are paying.

im so confused...are you all men?! too much testosterone floating around this thread
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (216)
91.91%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (19)
8.09%

Watched Threads