The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Original post by econboy
Hi guys,

I just want to know if my academic background is strong enought before I apply.
I go to a decent RG uni, finished my first two years of Bsc Economics degree with a average of 79%.
I have some relevant work experience and I expect my tutor and supervisor to write very good references.
Is it worth applying?
Thanks

Yup, that's fine, you stand a decent chance of an offer.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hi all.
Annoying question alert! I know this gets asked a thousand times and didn't want to ask, but I saw that there are quite a few Mst European History from 1500 to the present offer holders here.
I am interested in applying for both that course and the Medieval History course (my two ideas annoyingly cross over the 1500 boundary).

However, I've been a bit disheartened at my results, particularly my English lit dissertation mark, a very low 2.1, when I felt I worked so hard. Again, some people say it's unimportant because it's a different subject but surely if they look at research potential, that's unture.
I do have mitigating circumstances (my brother was very ill and I had terrible migraines in those last few weeks of the dissertation due to worry about him). But I don't know really how much they will be bothered about the circumstances.
I achieved 67s on my other lit courses and a 70 in my sole history course, which counted for a third of the year's credits.
I have achieved an average of 65-66 throughout the three years, which is BELOW the 67+ they ask for, but have always been let down my exams (last year I achieved 77 in an early modern history essay - my area of interest - but the corresponding exam meant I averaged a 69 overall). It's been the same with all the courses, but this year I got two good firsts in my history essays. I'm just not sure if they'll care about the eason for my lower grades, even though we won't have any exams.

I got full marks in my Tudor history A-level too, but with all the other factors, don't think I stand a chance.

Would anyone be able to offer advice on if it's worth applying with a average of 65-66, a low English lit diss mark, even though my assessed coursework has always been a strong first.

Got an offer from Durham for this year but am taking a year out to be with my brother and have a break to think clearly about my proposal. So feeling good about that but also not sure it means there is a possibility that Oxford would give me an offer.

Again, incredibly sorry for your standard irritating question but I can't tell you how much your advice would mean. That application fee is another consideration for a recent grad like me! Joke.
P.S. sorry for typos - my keyboard has had it.
Reply 2122
Original post by llacerta
I will say from my experience, and as far as I know, that they don't tend to care about extra curriculars unless they're directly related to your subject (e.g. if your year abroad in some way contributed to your research or work in English Lit then that's definitely a plus!) Otherwise you're right that PS is very important too.

If it's any comfort, I know some pretty amazing people who have been rejected from graduate programmes at Oxford (both in the sciences and humanities). The sheer competitiveness means that even if you have a strong academic track record- which you clearly do- there's always an element of randomness in an application to one of the grad programmes. One thing I think can be especially tricky is if they don't interview for your course (and as far as I'm aware they don't for the English Lit MPhil, is that correct?) because that's one less opportunity to stand out from the crowd. I'm similar to you in that I didn't have any undergrad awards, but my interview performance was able to mitigate that a bit I think.

Sorry if this isn't particularly helpful! If you want to apply again, then certainly go ahead and give it your best shot- it's not that having no undergrad awards means certain rejection at all. But at the same time there is a chance that it might not work out again, and I wouldn't blame yourself for that per se, but rather just the fact that the applicant pool is so strong for these programmes.

Thanks for your thoughts Ilacerta. Unfortunately they don't interview no. I've decided I will be trying again anyway as there's an academic at Oxford who would be my dream supervisor, so all I can do is put my efforts into another proposal and hope for the best.
Hi! I'm currently studying Linguistics and Comparative Literature at Queen Mary, University of London, which is RG. I'm on course for a 67, and got 63 and 65 in my first and second year respectively, which I know is below par for Oxford. However, in my first year, my health deteriorated and I was hospitalised about six times, and in my second year, I had a baby. I still managed to get high 2.1s and firsts in my relevant modules, and even handed in an assignment two days after my son was born (and only asked for an extension for one assignment, which I think shows dedication and an ability to handle a high workload) I hope to apply for Mst in General Linguistics, but given that most will be applying with a higher degree classification than I, is it a wasted application? Thank you
Applied to MPhil Finance at Cambridge. I have a 1st already achieved, BSc Financial Economics (Lond). This is the hardest degree to get an offer for at Camb apparently, 1st is a minimum requirement. Give myself 50/50 odds. Good luck to you all!
Reply 2125
Hello everyone
Am studying English Literature at the University of York, am an international student and got a 2:2 in my first year because I didn't quite understand what was expected of me in the UK system.However, got a First of 83 for my Second year. Now I'm going into my 3rd and really want to go to Oxford or Cambridge for my Masters in English. I'm pretty sure I can get some excellent references and really make my passion and dedication shine through my PS. I have some work experience but nothing at some majorly famous firm.
What are my chances like? I know First year grades don't formally count toward my final mark of the degree, but do Cambridge and Oxford still look at your First year grades? And do I have to upload a transcript from First year?
Thank you
Reply 2126
Original post by Antoa
I'm pretty sure I can get some excellent references and really make my passion and dedication shine through my PS. I have some work experience but nothing at some majorly famous firm. What are my chances like? I know First year grades don't formally count toward my final mark of the degree, but do Cambridge and Oxford still look at your First year grades? And do I have to upload a transcript from First year?

As part of the application you will submit a transcript from your current university, which will probably include your first year grades. The people making admissions decisions will look at that transcript, but they're going to be much more interested in your final degree classification than your first year performance. Of course getting a first on every module ever in your degree is better than not doing that, but academics understand that some students take time to adjust before really flowering. You can always ask one or more of your referees to make a brief point in their reference that your first year marks are just the result of you adjusting to the British academic system.

Unlike potential employers, master's admissions don't normally care much about work experience one way or another, unless it's directly relevant to study and research (e.g. working as a research assistant in literary archives or lexicographical study or whatever).

Original post by Anna.Karenina
I hope to apply for Mst in General Linguistics, but given that most will be applying with a higher degree classification than I, is it a wasted application? Thank you

Some people do get admitted to master's courses with a 2.1 (a first is better, though), and your referees can talk in their references about the circumstances in which you did your degree. It is kind of impossible to say from outside whether your application would be wasted. You could contact the relevant faculty and ask whether they have any system for taking circumstances like yours into account. In these kinds of situations, if it's relevant in future, I personally think asking for extensions is the wiser course.
Original post by llacerta
I will say from my experience, and as far as I know, that they don't tend to care about extra curriculars unless they're directly related to your subject (e.g. if your year abroad in some way contributed to your research or work in English Lit then that's definitely a plus!) Otherwise you're right that PS is very important too.

If it's any comfort, I know some pretty amazing people who have been rejected from graduate programmes at Oxford (both in the sciences and humanities). The sheer competitiveness means that even if you have a strong academic track record- which you clearly do- there's always an element of randomness in an application to one of the grad programmes. One thing I think can be especially tricky is if they don't interview for your course (and as far as I'm aware they don't for the English Lit MPhil, is that correct?) because that's one less opportunity to stand out from the crowd. I'm similar to you in that I didn't have any undergrad awards, but my interview performance was able to mitigate that a bit I think.

Sorry if this isn't particularly helpful! If you want to apply again, then certainly go ahead and give it your best shot- it's not that having no undergrad awards means certain rejection at all. But at the same time there is a chance that it might not work out again, and I wouldn't blame yourself for that per se, but rather just the fact that the applicant pool is so strong for these programmes.

Speaking about undergrad awards - I studied in Switzerland and there are practically no awards given out here, especially at my university. You could theoretically win one for a dissertation but even if you're excellent, your chances depend largely (and I mean largely) on whether your supervisor is organized and keen enough to nominate you in the first place. There are some 2500 students in my faculty in the run for less than 10 prizes. I ranked very high in my graduating class for both my Master's and my undergrad but never won an award. Same for my second Master's in Hong Kong, where there was one single award that I could theoretically have won (and didn't).This was a result of my choice of courses (there were more awards for courses I did not take).

I feel it would be a bit awkward to include a justification for not having won an award in your personal statement. On the other hand, the application committee will understandably not know how many awards you could reasonably have won. If awards have any importance - how do you go about this issue of not having had many chances to win one?

(For context, I'm in law and looking to apply for a PhD [2018 entry]. There seem to be lots of awards given out for law in the UK.)
Hi all,I am currently a final year MBBS student. What are the requirements for postgraduate entry in my case?MBBS degrees are not awarded by class (first second third), and all I get is a final mark at the end of the course. I have tried emailing the admissions office but have not been able to get a reply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JohnJeremyWong
Hi all,I am currently a final year MBBS student. What are the requirements for postgraduate entry in my case?MBBS degrees are not awarded by class (first second third), and all I get is a final mark at the end of the course. I have tried emailing the admissions office but have not been able to get a reply.

I suppose they'd convert your final marks / grade point average into the class equivalent. What system are you studying in - do you get a percentage grade at the end of a course (e.g., 71%)? That would be the easiest to convert.

There are helpful sources on the Oxbridge websites that help you convert a foreign GPA, if that's the issue here. See for Cambridge
http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/international-qualifications.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey everyone. I think this is my first post since my 1st year of undergrad in 2011, so in advance I apologise for whatever may be in my signature..

I'm applying to the MSc in Computer Science at Oxford and am really hoping to be considered for funding. I don't have the funds now, but I know if I put aside what I want to do over the next year (of course I'd rather not), I could earn the necessary funds. On the application page it asks me what my source of funding is/ will be. If I fill this in, will this lower my chances for a scholarship if accepted? If I don't fill this in will it lower my chances of being accepted due to uncertainty in funding?

Thanks for your answer!

EDIT: I have to say, upon looking at my signature, I'm fond of the likeness between the colours I chose and the actual colours for imperial. Not bad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by michelliki
Speaking about undergrad awards - I studied in Switzerland and there are practically no awards given out here, especially at my university. You could theoretically win one for a dissertation but even if you're excellent, your chances depend largely (and I mean largely) on whether your supervisor is organized and keen enough to nominate you in the first place. There are some 2500 students in my faculty in the run for less than 10 prizes. I ranked very high in my graduating class for both my Master's and my undergrad but never won an award. Same for my second Master's in Hong Kong, where there was one single award that I could theoretically have won (and didn't).This was a result of my choice of courses (there were more awards for courses I did not take).

I feel it would be a bit awkward to include a justification for not having won an award in your personal statement. On the other hand, the application committee will understandably not know how many awards you could reasonably have won. If awards have any importance - how do you go about this issue of not having had many chances to win one?

(For context, I'm in law and looking to apply for a PhD [2018 entry]. There seem to be lots of awards given out for law in the UK.)

I had a similar problem. I was ranked 1st on one my years so I just listed that. If you have something like best dissertation etc. just list it. Its the same stuff other people list as prizes, its not your fault there's no official recognition. It also saves you space in you personal statement for other stuff.
Original post by DCRsilver
I had a similar problem. I was ranked 1st on one my years so I just listed that. If you have something like best dissertation etc. just list it. Its the same stuff other people list as prizes, its not your fault there's no official recognition. It also saves you space in you personal statement for other stuff.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, in Zurich they are anti-elitist and do not even point out the people who graduate top of their class, let alone who has written the best thesis (that wouldn't have been me anyway so that's fine :wink:). The only reason I know about my class ranking is that I worked as a research assistant for a professor whose secretary was kind enough to share that information with me :cool:. I do think, however, that there is a way to have the Dean's office confirm your class ranking.

By the way, is there reliable data out there on what percentage of students obtain a First, 2:1 etc. in popular subjects such as medicine, law, business etc.? I've found newspaper articles on the subject which mentioned relatively high numbers (between 10-20% of law graduates being awarded a First and things like that, yes I know about grade inflation). I'm just not sure the data is reliable.
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Hi! I'm currently studying Linguistics and Comparative Literature at Queen Mary, University of London, which is RG. I'm on course for a 67, and got 63 and 65 in my first and second year respectively, which I know is below par for Oxford. However, in my first year, my health deteriorated and I was hospitalised about six times, and in my second year, I had a baby. I still managed to get high 2.1s and firsts in my relevant modules, and even handed in an assignment two days after my son was born (and only asked for an extension for one assignment, which I think shows dedication and an ability to handle a high workload) I hope to apply for Mst in General Linguistics, but given that most will be applying with a higher degree classification than I, is it a wasted application? Thank you

I think you stand a good chance. My degree was in Classics and English and I was accepted for the MSt in General Linguistics, so you have an even stronger basis. Our grades for our undergraduate degrees are similar too. My offer was a 2.1. Drop me a PM if you need any more help :smile:
Was looking into admissions statistics for the course I'm applying to at Oxford (C. Science).

In 2013-14 (the latest year for which statistics are readily available) there were 388 applicants with 171 offers made (of which 132 were accepted). However, it seems that this year, there are only 51 spaces available. Any idea for the insane drop in numbers?!
Hi all,

I am looking to study the Masters programme at Cambridge in Neuroscience. I studied Biomedical Science at university, with a focus on neuroscience based modules and achieved a 2.1. I think my average from the three years was about 65. I am quite nervous about my application as I didn't perform too well in my first and second years but did well in my final year. I also had a gap in my studies between my second and third year. Do you think I stand a chance?

Also, due to the large size of the course that I was on I didn't have much contact individually with my tutors and having graduated 3 years ago now, I am a little worried about the reference section of the application. Is anyone able to provide me with some information as to what referees are expected to provide when contacted? Also, the application for the course involves three optional questions all around 300-200 words in length, which I obviously intend to fill in, I have listed them below. They seem quite straight forward (except the last one) but I want to make sure I am not missing anything vital. Does anyone have experience answering these sorts of questions that has been accepted onto a course at Cambridge? Would anyone be able to provide me with some guidance as to how I should tackle them please?

Reasons for applying/statement of interest(optional, approximately 300 words)

Career goals(optional, approximately 200 words)

Additional information to support application(optional, approximately 200 words)

Thank you so much!
Original post by Live_Life_91
Hi all,

I am looking to study the Masters programme at Cambridge in Neuroscience. I studied Biomedical Science at university, with a focus on neuroscience based modules and achieved a 2.1. I think my average from the three years was about 65. I am quite nervous about my application as I didn't perform too well in my first and second years but did well in my final year. I also had a gap in my studies between my second and third year. Do you think I stand a chance?

Also, due to the large size of the course that I was on I didn't have much contact individually with my tutors and having graduated 3 years ago now, I am a little worried about the reference section of the application. Is anyone able to provide me with some information as to what referees are expected to provide when contacted? Also, the application for the course involves three optional questions all around 300-200 words in length, which I obviously intend to fill in, I have listed them below. They seem quite straight forward (except the last one) but I want to make sure I am not missing anything vital. Does anyone have experience answering these sorts of questions that has been accepted onto a course at Cambridge? Would anyone be able to provide me with some guidance as to how I should tackle them please?

Additional information to support application(optional, approximately 200 words)

Thank you so much!

The advice I got from someone who did my degree a couple years ahead then went to Cam is, say you want to do a phd then further research, and gear the application towards that goal. You may have to write a proposal for this, but you also get better chances of funding.
Original post by Live_Life_91
Hi all,

Thank you so much!

Are you applying for the MPhil in Basic and Translational Neuroscience course? Because I am too, and I'm essentially using the 'additional info' section to highlight things I think are relevant to my application but did not fit (due to character limits) in the other sections. This includes my volunteering experience working in research labs outside of my uni
Original post by studos
Why is it called oxbridge and not camford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that one of the interview questions?
For any Master's courses, and if so which one

Quick Reply

Latest