Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle97)
    Hi guys! I'm thinking about applying to Oxford for my masters next year, I haven't chosen a specific course yet because I really like a few of them, but it'll be in either English Literature or history, in the 1500-1800 period! My issue is, I'm not sure if I'm qualified enough! I go to Durham university currently for English Literature and got a first in my first year, with five firsts and one 2:1 in my 6 modules (which is irrelevant, I know). I'm finishing up second year now, as I was ill during the exam period this year with a bad viral infection and had to miss one of my exams which I'm having to do now, as I was basically bed bound, so I don't have my overall grade yet. However, so far this year I've had 75%, 74%, 70%, 67% and 66%, so as long as this next exam is a 56 I'm going to get somewhere between 68-70%. I'd be looking to apply earlier on in third year, I've been told that I'll be predicted a first and I have three academic referees who've said they'll support my application! Do these grades sound okay? If I get like 68% this year but I'm predicted a first and that's confirmed by some of the academics here in my references, will that suiffice? I know it says they take 2:1s on the website but it's so competitive that I wonder if they really just write off most 2:1 candidates (which is frustrating to think because a 2:1 is such a great achievement!). I'd be really really thankful for any feedback!
    Nobody is going to be able to provide you with further and better information than is on the Faculty websites. If you meet the minimum conditions listed there, then consider applying.

I believe English have a higher grades requirement than History.

ReputationRep:
    There's a postgraduate open day at Cambridge on the 3rd of November and I only just heard about it. Eventbrite would let me register to attend, but all the presentation slots are booked up. Does anyone know whether it's still worth going or not?

ReputationRep:
    I am a bit confused about the two sections of 'reasons for applying' and 'statement of interest' in the Cambridge application portal.

Am I right to state my reasons for applying to Cambridge in 'reasons for applying',
    and my reasons for applying for a certain course in 'statement of interest' ?

Thank you for the advice in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone could advise me - for my postgraduate applications, I have to supply an extract of a longer piece of undergrad. work, does anyone know how long the note giving context to it should be? Or if there is any specific way this should be written? Or just any tips on extracting longer essays, Im finding it difficult as feel like I have now disrupted its flow.

Thanks so much any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

Would anyone be able to chance me regarding getting into a MSc (Research) degree at Oxbridge?

I am a Canadian undergraduate student. I am majoring in Psychology with a minor in Linguistics I have a cumulative GPA for 4.19/4.3 (my school calculates GPA out of 4.3), or 4.0/4.0 when converted to the University of Toronto grading scale. This puts me somewhere within the top 3% of undergraduate students at my school.

I have won some academic awards and scholarships from my university, but I tend to think that this is standard for most postgraduate applicants to Oxbridge and wouldn't really make my application stand out (obviously I would include them on my application, but I don't think listing them here would be very helpful).

I am involved with two Developmental Psychology labs and have been since my second-year. I was granted money via the National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada last summer as one of five students in my program who was paid to work full-time in a Psychology laboratory at my university. I have also been funded through an undergraduate research grant to be a paid researcher again this summer. I am currently working on my own research project, but I don't have any publications to date and doubt that I will by the application deadline this upcoming Fall. I am worried that this will be a fatal blow to my application.

In addition, I am also working as a course grader (Teaching Assistant) for a second-year Linguistics course. I am hopeful that I will get another position as a Teaching Assistant (either in Linguistics or in Psychology) next year, which will give me experience running tutorial groups as well as grading assignments.

In the past I have worked as a volunteer reading tutor with school-aged children and at several animal shelters.

Mostly I am worried that nothing about my application would set me apart from other international applicants, and may actually be fairly weak in comparison. I am particularly worried about my lack of publications.

I appreciate any and all feedback! Also, if anyone has any tips for how I would be able to make my application stronger, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by cangrad13)
    Both Oxford and Cambridge are pretty hardcore grades focussed. Publications will help, but for Masters degree applications they aren't common to have. Extra curriculars are ignored, unless highly relevant. Being in the top 3% is fine, your profile is perfectly competitive/appropriate to make an application, a higher GPA would be the primary thing to make it stronger but if you are on 4.0/4.0........ give it a go and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Has anyone here gotten offers for an MSt in history at Oxford or MPhil in history at Cambridge?

If so, I'd really like to ask some questions about the application and admissions!

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Do A-level re-sits matter at all? I'm not doing Medicine so I thought not.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Harriso1)
    Do A-level re-sits matter at all? I'm not doing Medicine so I thought not.
    i'm not sure A level grades are even asked for. Certainly resits won't matter, it's your undergrad record that is key (as well as research proposal, references etc)

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I really need the advice of those who are currenlty doing Phd in Theoreical and Applied Lingusitics at Cambridge.

I have one master's from the Philippines which the University of Melbourne assessed as "H1 standard Section 1 (Australian Masters equivalent) Master of Arts In English". And I'm now doing my second master's in General and Applied Linguistics at the Australian National University. I've never had a grade below 90 before, and I'm aiming to get an overall HD (if not all HDs) from ANU in July 2019. I was a Fulbright foreign language assistatnt in the US for a year, and had three years of teaching experience. I've been a Linguistic project manager for more than a year now while doing my full-time studies. The problem is I don't have research publications yet and after university (where I had been awarded leadership and community involvement awards), I'm afraid I didn't have much community involvment but only leadership oppurtinies at work.

Do you advise me to apply for Mphil still (even if I would have two masters by then)? Or will I have a chance at getting accepted as a Phd student? And if ever, what do you recommend me to do/accomplish while I'm still ding my master's here in Austrlia before I apply for 2020 entry. Thank you so much.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ksarte)
    PhD. They won't take a masters application seriously if you hold 2 already.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Do I need to have publications when I apply?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ksarte)
    Thanks! Do I need to have publications when I apply?
    Nope, not at all.

ReputationRep:
    I am an engineering student at a good RG uni. I have an average of 80% across my first three years. I am quite interested to study mathematics for my postgraduate study. But I feel quite nervous about changing from engineering to mathematics. I dont see many people doing it but I am motivated to study mathematics as it has been my strength in all the years so far.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.