Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study Watch

playa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
for Msc in Finance or Financial mathematics / Financial Economic etc at LSE or Oxbridge... if i get a 1st class in my degree Mathematical economics and excellent references(im at Birmingham) would I need any finance work experience other than a decent summer internship?
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by playa)
for Msc in Finance or Financial mathematics / Financial Economic etc at LSE or Oxbridge... if i get a 1st class in my degree Mathematical economics and excellent references(im at Birmingham) would I need any finance work experience other than a decent summer internship?
Have you checked the respective prospectus entries to see whether they list work experience as a requirement?

Anyway, for all you know they may well have changed their requirements by 2011/12, so I don't think this is anything you should worry about now. If you can get any work experience within the next couple of years, though, it probably won't hurt either way.
playa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
Have you checked the respective prospectus entries to see whether they list work experience as a requirement?

Anyway, for all you know they may well have changed their requirements by 2011/12, so I don't think this is anything you should worry about now. If you can get any work experience within the next couple of years, though, it probably won't hurt either way.
Some requirements are a little ambiguous especially oxbridge websites,

GRE is strictly for non-UK grads ?
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by playa)
Some requirements are a little ambiguous especially oxbridge websites,
Well, if they're ambiguous, it probably means they prefer work experience wherever possible. You'll have to email the departments if you want a more definite answer, but as I said, it will make more sense to do this closer to the time when you'll actually be applying. At the moment, this is a purely hypothetical question, and once you get there, things may well look quite different.:dontknow:
GRE is strictly for non-UK grads ?
To my knowledge, yes. I suppose if you happened to have taken it already because you were applying to American universities as well, you might as well include it, though.
playa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
Well, if they're ambiguous, it probably means they prefer work experience wherever possible. You'll have to email the departments if you want a more definite answer, but as I said, it will make more sense to do this closer to the time when you'll actually be applying. At the moment, this is a purely hypothetical question, and once you get there, things may well look quite different.:dontknow:

To my knowledge, yes. I suppose if you happened to have taken it already because you were applying to American universities as well, you might as well include it, though.
True. But im not risking anything. If work experience is possibly required I will strive from now to ensure I have it,

Msc. Financial mathematics ... what kind of work experience would they realistically xpect you to have?
I havent taken the GRE ..
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you get three colleges to choose for each course? im so academic wants to know!
0404343m
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Do you get three colleges to choose for each course? im so academic wants to know!
I only got two...
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 0404343m)
I only got two...
Oh I swear it's three. Read something by Socrates yonks ago. Grades permitting I'd apply to two courses at both universities (one year taught MSc, one two year MPhil). Amid the financial situation I might see a higher chance of an offer for a taught corse than a research one. A little theory I've thought of a while back.
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh I swear it's three. Read something by Socrates yonks ago. Grades permitting I'd apply to two courses at both universities (one year taught MSc, one two year MPhil). Amid the financial situation I might see a higher chance of an offer for a taught corse than a research one. A little theory I've thought of a while back.
Well, it may well have changed this year- I only picked Hertford and Balliol at Oxford, (theres a complex scenario of any potential scholarship for the Snell award only working if you are accepted and choose Balliol), but I certainly would have picked more options if I had the choice.
apotoftea
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's two for Oxford, not sure for Cam
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, it may well have changed this year- I only picked Hertford and Balliol at Oxford, (theres a complex scenario of any potential scholarship for the Snell award only working if you are accepted and choose Balliol), but I certainly would have picked more options if I had the choice.
Yeah I'm wondering whether it's different rules for different types of programmes and/or courses. Seems a bit harsh to only have two choices, three would be better. :cool:

I have a short list of both universities' colleges and I'm a fresher. Sad, innit?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by apotoftea)
It's two for Oxford, not sure for Cam
Noooo! I always wondered whether it's worth applying to the least aesthetically appealing colleges to increase chances of an offer. Not that architecture is everything but you know. The DSU is quite bad so I'm used to looking at awful buildings.
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I'm wondering whether it's different rules for different types of programmes and/or courses. Seems a bit harsh to only have two choices, three would be better. :cool:

I have a short list of both universities' colleges and I'm a fresher. Sad, innit?
Doesn't really matter I guess- if the dept accept you and the colleges don't, you still get pooled round the rest of them to see if one of them does. I had strict stipulations on making Balliol my first choice, so I can't imagine a) the difference between 2 and 3 out of over 30 will make much difference and b) that you'd have any better chance of getting into a college where they know you've picked them as a third choice. At least I can tell Hertford (which I have) that the Balliol application was purely financial, and I would have picked them top otherwise. Smooooth.

And yes, don't worry about Colleges right now- concentrate on the degree in hand, when you get close to completion, or even applying, then start worrying.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doesn't really matter I guess- if the dept accept you and the colleges don't, you still get pooled round the rest of them to see if one of them does. I had strict stipulations on making Balliol my first choice, so I can't imagine a) the difference between 2 and 3 out of over 30 will make much difference and b) that you'd have any better chance of getting into a college where they know you've picked them as a third choice. At least I can tell Hertford (which I have) that the Balliol application was purely financial, and I would have picked them top otherwise. Smooooth.
Yeah I wondered the difference in logistics between them and my own university (Durham). If the offer comes from the department then that's cool.

And yes, don't worry about Colleges right now- concentrate on the degree in hand, when you get close to completion, or even applying, then start worrying.
Yeah. Only college which stood out if I wanted to do research was All Souls as it is a research only college. Would be an interesting environment to be in.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does the situation ever arise where you would get an offer from the department, but not any colleges? I can imagine that being highly embarassing.
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Does the situation ever arise where you would get an offer from the department, but not any colleges? I can imagine that being highly embarassing.
Yes. And vice-versa. Bizarre.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Not at Cam, your file will be trawled around every single College until you get a place. I believe, though don't have any link to back it up, that if it gets really late, BoGS can send your file back to your original first choice and make them take you.
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Not at Cam, your file will be trawled around every single College until you get a place. I believe, though don't have any link to back it up, that if it gets really late, BoGS can send your file back to your original first choice and make them take you.
Is that because of the way the Graduate Studies lot work at Cambridge? Am I right in saying Dept can make you an offer at ugrad but then be rejected by the pool? I'm sure thats happened to folk, but it may have just been Oxford.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, it hasn't - not for Oxford, anyway.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Undergrad and post-grad place allocations work entirely differently. At undergrad you apply to a college and they make the academic decision (with some departmental consultation). At post-grad level you apply to a department and give a college preference. Once you have been offered an academic place a college place is guaranteed , what is not guaranteed is that it will be one of the colleges you expressed a preference for. You can't get a post-grad college offer without an academic offer - the paperwork isn't sent around like that.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?