Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study Watch

crafty bison
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What university are you at? It can't be that hard to get a 2.1 if you're sure you'll get a 1st next year?
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by playa)
2 weeks of hardcore work. Enough ? :P
Well I revised for about 2 months last year, and worked hard during the year. Still only got an ok 2.1.
It depends on the person, really.
(Original post by playa)
Good luck with your application!
Thanks. And you.
playa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
Well I revised for about 2 months last year, and worked hard during the year. Still only got an ok 2.1.
It depends on the person, really.
Thanks. And you.
So just to confirm.. it will be ok to get a low 2:1 , providing I get a 1st in my second year ?
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by playa)
So just to confirm.. it will be ok to get a low 2:1 , providing I get a 1st in my second year ?
No, because - if you saw my first post on the matter - many of the people you are competing with will have gotten a first in all three years of their degree. It will be ok to do the best you humanly can do, but only because you personally couldn't not have done better if you tried. And even then you might not be 'ok' if your competition is better than you.

But you know.. keep digging.
playa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, because - if you saw my first post on the matter - many of the people you are competing with will have gotten a first in all three years of their degree. It will be ok to do the best you humanly can do, but only because you personally couldn't not have done better if you tried. And even then you might not be 'ok' if your competition is better than you.

But you know.. keep digging.
is LSE as competitive as oxbridge for MSc in finance etc
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by playa)
I haven't a clue. I'm a social scientist :p:
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by playa)

Yeah it would be.

They're all the one in terms of applicants, it's more or less the same people applying to all of them.
nightjay
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I am planning to apply to oxbridge for a graduate degree in math.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting
accepted except for trying to get top marks?

cause i suppose 99% of applicants do have top marks, so
what is it that makes some "more suitable"? maybe references?
Krush
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nightjay)
I am planning to apply to oxbridge for a graduate degree in math.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting
accepted except for trying to get top marks?

cause i suppose 99% of applicants do have top marks, so
what is it that makes some "more suitable"? maybe references?
Be really really nice to your referees and show them what you're worth, write a good statement of purpose which gets straight to the point and conveys your interest for the subject. But obviously and most importantly, get high marks.

Oxford interviews its maths applicants for its masters courses, they tend to pick on stuff done in the first year so try not to forget everything you did as a fresher!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No. They don't just care about capability, but with a Masters your passion for the subject is extremely important. You need more motivation and engagement with it than you do for undergrad. That's why I would definitely not take somebody who had a 2.2 in first year and a first later on because it would be clear that despite being smart enough they just didn't care enough. To me, if somebody takes the attidude of working out what they can get away with not doing, and only working when they have to, my instant thought is 'they want this course in order to be successful later on, not because they're have true academic passion' - and that would be your application form in the bin.

I will probably apply for an MPhil in Modern Societies and Global Transformations - staying on with my department (SPS, Cambridge)

You weren't kidding about the sleep, huh :p:
Thought I should have a nose around this thread, seeing as I need to start thinking about my application... :ninja:

I think the bit in bold is a bit harsh. I got a 2.2 in my first year exams. Not coz I didn't work hard, just coz I was genuinely **** at 60% of the first year course... :o:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Thought I should have a nose around this thread, seeing as I need to start thinking about my application... :ninja:
Hahah - snap. Only you've beaten me to it, as I only finished my last exam today so hadn't managed to start snooping just yet :p:
I think the bit in bold is a bit harsh. I got a 2.2 in my first year exams. Not coz I didn't work hard, just coz I was genuinely **** at 60% of the first year course... :o:
Yeh it is harsh. It probably wasn't best to say that I would have discriminated against someone on those grounds... especially as I've seen alot of people having completely surprisingly bad luck with exams here... for instance supervisors predicting them 2.1s - 1sts all year and then getting a 2.2 - and exams often really don't represent the person's aptitude.

However, realistically I do actually think it would look that way on paper. 2.2, 2.1, 1st: maybe not... that looks like gradual improvement. 2.2, 1st just looks like the person suddenly decided to start caring.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hahah - snap. Only you've beaten me to it, as I only finished my last exam today so hadn't managed to start snooping just yet :p:

Yeh it is harsh. It probably wasn't best to say that I would have discriminated against someone on those grounds... especially as I've seen alot of people having completely surprisingly bad luck with exams here... for instance supervisors predicting them 2.1s - 1sts all year and then getting a 2.2 - and exams often really don't represent the person's aptitude.

However, realistically I do actually think it would look that way on paper. 2.2, 2.1, 1st: maybe not... that looks like gradual improvement. 2.2, 1st just looks like the person suddenly decided to start caring.
Yay for finishing exams! :woo:

To be fair, there's no way I'm getting a First, so the jump won't be as extreme in my case :p: I asked my tutor about the transcript, he said he'd talk about my potential. Doubt that'll convince the AHRC to fund me though...

The MSt course in Women's Studies sounds so interesting but I can't use that to get onto the DPhil Music course and can't afford two Masters, so it's the MSt Musicology course for me :yep:
swiftuk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I think it depends on the circumstances. People do sometimes make allowances for comparatively 'poor' first year marks, particularly if the student had a lot to adjust to in terms of entering university.

Certainly after M-level, your recent experience is the most important (although I am sure it helps if you have consistency).

My undergrad marks ranged from 52-90 (all years were a first overall), but all of the M-level modules I have done have been 70+, which was perhaps a factor in getting on the DPhil.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by swiftuk)
I think it depends on the circumstances. People do sometimes make allowances for comparatively 'poor' first year marks, particularly if the student had a lot to adjust to in terms of entering university.

Certainly after M-level, your recent experience is the most important (although I am sure it helps if you have consistency).

My undergrad marks ranged from 52-90 (all years were a first overall), but all of the M-level modules I have done have been 70+, which was perhaps a factor in getting on the DPhil.
Yeh but the guy we were talking to was like.... um I didn't do any work this year, oops.. can I make up for it with a first next year? Which is a bit different, imo.
Also he was talking about a Masters, not PhD.

But generally - good! I'll be very lucky if I get onto the Masters I want to, because I seem to be incapable of good exam performance, no matter how well my written work is. And coursework here is very limited :sad:

PS: How did you get 90!? :eyeball:

To be fair, there's no way I'm getting a First, so the jump won't be as extreme in my case :p: I asked my tutor about the transcript, he said he'd talk about my potential. Doubt that'll convince the AHRC to fund me though...
Yeh I'm in the same boat. Still, one can hope :rolleyes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeh I'm in the same boat. Still, one can hope :rolleyes:
Indeed. I'm applying to a completely unrealistic selection of unis and the likeliness is no one will want me. As you say, one can hope! :yes:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Indeed. I'm applying to a completely unrealistic selection of unis and the likeliness is no one will want me. As you say, one can hope! :yes:
Mmmmm that probably isn't the unlikely thing so much. Its more the funding. I don't have any means of paying for mine without AHRC or ESRC support. Also I know alot of people who have gotten places with 2.1s
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mmmmm that probably isn't the unlikely thing so much. Its more the funding. I don't have any means of paying for mine without AHCR or EHCR support. Also I know alot of people who have gotten places with 2.1s
I don't really have any means of funding without AHRC (depending on what exactly I do, I may also be eligible for ESRC) funding either. Unless my college decides that I'm so wonderful that they want to give me a scholarship! :eek: :rofl: :rolleyes: At the moment, I think Oxford may be the only UK university I'll be applying to though. For that application, funding is definitely more of a problem (not that I'm confident of getting a place, just even less likely to get funding!). Everywhere else, it's ridiculous hard to get an offer but if you get the offer, they give you money :teeth:

Hence why I may end up nowhere and will have to continue being a lonely goatherd :sadnod:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hence why I may end up nowhere and will have to continue being a lonely goatherd :sadnod:
Not all that lonely if you're accompanied by a Craggy :dry:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not all that lonely if you're accompanied by a Craggy :dry:
I doubt I will be though :nah:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I doubt I will be though :nah:
Oi! None of that! I'm determined to match you in this pessimism competition :hmmm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (65)
26.86%
No (177)
73.14%

Watched Threads