Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study Watch

ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
assuming one gets a first... what kind of uni would you have needed to go too? are we looking at top 10 ish? top 15? or am i aproaching this the wrong way.
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
assuming one gets a first... what kind of uni would you have needed to go too? are we looking at top 10 ish? top 15? or am i aproaching this the wrong way.
I've merged your thread into the sticky answering this question. It gets asked over and over again. Please read this thread from beginning to end, as there are several useful replies which people have put time and effort into posting
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
I've merged your thread into the sticky answering this question. It gets asked over and over again. Please read this thread from beginning to end, as there are several useful replies which people have put time and effort into posting
oo ok thanks =]]
Krush
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
You are approaching this the wrong way. Whichever university you attend (within reason) if you're on track for a high 2.1/first and believe that you are well suited for the course you have applied for, then it is worth applying to Oxbridge.

EDIT: Aren't you a bit young to be thinking about postgrad?
henryt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey peeps - it's probably a little bit early for me to be thinking about this, as I've still got a long way to go yet (a couple of years before the end of my MMath in Maths and Stats). I was wondering if people knew how competitive the Stats department at Oxford is, for their DPhil? Of course, I'm going to ask around when I get back to Oxford, but I was just curious if people knew. Realistically, I'm probably going to get a mid-high 2.i in my BA classification, though I think I'm on course for a First in the MMath year, as my work throughout my time at Uni has usually been of a high standard, and the method of assessment seems to be much more essay/project based; I'm unfortunately just hopeless under exam pressure, I think. Anyway, any replies would be appreciated
Thanks!
HenryT
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by henryt)
Hey peeps - it's probably a little bit early for me to be thinking about this, as I've still got a long way to go yet (a couple of years before the end of my MMath in Maths and Stats). I was wondering if people knew how competitive the Stats department at Oxford is, for their DPhil? Of course, I'm going to ask around when I get back to Oxford, but I was just curious if people knew. Realistically, I'm probably going to get a mid-high 2.i in my BA classification, though I think I'm on course for a First in the MMath year, as my work throughout my time at Uni has usually been of a high standard, and the method of assessment seems to be much more essay/project based; I'm unfortunately just hopeless under exam pressure, I think. Anyway, any replies would be appreciated
Thanks!
HenryT
:hello:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postg...tatistics.html

If you look at the column on the right-hand side, further down the page it says the number of applicants and the number of offers, so that tells you statistically how competitive it is. Geddit?

:getmecoat:
henryt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
:hello:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postg...tatistics.html

If you look at the column on the right-hand side, further down the page it says the number of applicants and the number of offers, so that tells you statistically how competitive it is. Geddit?

:getmecoat:
Ooh - thanks! (Doesn't excuse you though :mmm: ) Didn't realise that was there. I've tried downloading the prospectus, but I think my internet is having a little tantie. I'm just hoping that, in the next couple of years, I'll find A) a research interest and B) a lovely don who I can coerce into supporting my application!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ooh - thanks! (Doesn't excuse you though :mmm: ) Didn't realise that was there. I've tried downloading the prospectus, but I think my internet is having a little tantie. I'm just hoping that, in the next couple of years, I'll find A) a research interest and B) a lovely don who I can coerce into supporting my application!
I had problems downloading one of the Oxford pdf files the other day, so it could just be the website being weird.

Yeah, the stats ( ) are kinda hidden, so it's easy not to notice them.

Good luck with both of those. I finally have a research interest and three referees for my application! :woo: Now I have the hideous task of trying to write a statement of purpose thing
henryt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had problems downloading one of the Oxford pdf files the other day, so it could just be the website being weird.

Yeah, the stats ( ) are kinda hidden, so it's easy not to notice them.

Good luck with both of those. I finally have a research interest and three referees for my application! :woo: Now I have the hideous task of trying to write a statement of purpose thing
Good luck I'm sort of hoping (for both our sakes!) that being at Oxford eases the application process, partially if just because you can really pin down the professors etc., but I fear that perhaps I might just somehow get a really mediocre 2.i, and then that will have blown it, especially with less than attractive Mods results (though, I do have reasons for this...!). So much stress! At least I get two classifications associated with my degree! (as you can see I'm already getting tetchy over exams; think of how I behave closer to the time!) I'm hoping that writing a research level Dissertation and doing some sort of Research project over the summer will give me some sort of edge... Arrrrrrrgggh.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good luck I'm sort of hoping (for both our sakes!) that being at Oxford eases the application process, partially if just because you can really pin down the professors etc., but I fear that perhaps I might just somehow get a really mediocre 2.i, and then that will have blown it, especially with less than attractive Mods results (though, I do have reasons for this...!). So much stress! At least I get two classifications associated with my degree! (as you can see I'm already getting tetchy over exams; think of how I behave closer to the time!) I'm hoping that writing a research level Dissertation and doing some sort of Research project over the summer will give me some sort of edge... Arrrrrrrgggh.
Yeah, my Mods results are def less than attractive and getting a mediocre 2.1 is a possibility

Fingers crossed that we'll both be alright
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Krush)
You are approaching this the wrong way. Whichever university you attend (within reason) if you're on track for a high 2.1/first and believe that you are well suited for the course you have applied for, then it is worth applying to Oxbridge.

EDIT: Aren't you a bit young to be thinking about postgrad?
yes i am, its more a case of wanting to know the score =]
luosijia4046
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Hi! Everyone!

I am studying Natural Sciences of Maths and Economics in Durham. I got 76% overall in the first year and 84% for maths. It seems like among the top 5% in the Natural Science department. I also did some financial internship and volunteer job.

I want to apply for the maths relating programs in Oxbridge no matter taught or reaserch degree, for example, casm, finacial mathematics, biostatistics, etc.

Could anybody tell me some information about the results of a successful candidate usually hold and my chance of getting in? Sometimes the admission requirement is rather vague. And what does a good 1st mean?
maxPP
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by luosijia4046)
Could someone give me some advice? Sometimes the admission requirement is rather vague. And what does a good 1st mean?
Sorry, can't really tell you about specific courses but your best bet is to look through the oxford website and sites that tend to list taught degrees (think UCAS and hotcourses?). For research, it might be best to look through academic's individual profiles/department page etc.

The requirements are usually vague for most post-grad entry. They count a 'good 1st' as someone with consistent grades at a decent university, who hasn't scraped it with lots of resits etc.. From what you said in your first post you qualify. Most (research) degrees are based on CV/interview with supervisor, hence the vague requirements that are there to screen candidates
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi! Everyone!

I am studying Natural Sciences of Maths and Economics in Durham. I got 76% overall in the first year and 84% for maths. It seems like among the top 5% in the Natural Science department. I also did some financial internship and volunteer job.

I want to apply for the maths relating programs in Oxbridge no matter taught or reaserch degree, for example, casm, finacial mathematics, biostatistics, etc.

Could anybody tell me some information about the results of a successful candidate usually hold and my chance of getting in?

Thank you very much!
Hmm, for that sort of information your best bet would be the respective faculty websites and graduate prospectus entries. It'll probably be a good idea to look there anyway to help you narrow down your choices a bit, because presumably you don't want to apply for ten different courses.

Could someone give me some advice? Sometimes the admission requirement is rather vague. And what does a good 1st mean?
A "good first" usually means a 75+ average. A "good first degree" is a 2.1 or higher.
verticalforce
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi! Everyone!

Could anybody tell me some information about the results of a successful candidate usually hold and my chance of getting in?

Thank you very much!

errmmm... wait till you get your second year results? I don't think first year results are that helpful....
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good luck with both of those. I finally have a research interest and threeone and a half referees for my application! :woo: Now I have the hideous task of trying to write a statement of purpose thing
:ditto: :pinch:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:ditto: :pinch:
:eek:

What happened to the other half of your referee? :ninja:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:eek:

What happened to the other half of your referee? :ninja:
He's kind of a potential referee :erm: He's my dissertation supervisor, and he asked me for 3000 words of it at the start of the summer, which I have still failed to produce, so I'm finding it awkward to ask him to write it until I show signs of competence :p:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He's kind of a potential referee :erm: He's my dissertation supervisor, and he asked me for 3000 words of it at the start of the summer, which I have still failed to produce, so I'm finding it awkward to ask him to write it until I show signs of competence :p:
I see what you mean. Thankfully my dissertation supervisor only wants to see my work when I go back, so I asked him before he realises how little work I've done

Though now my conscience is telling me that I should probs do more work... :ninja:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I see what you mean. Thankfully my dissertation supervisor only wants to see my work when I go back, so I asked him before he realises how little work I've done
Yeh, if I'd been sensible... :rolleyes:
Though now my conscience is telling me that I should probs do more work... :ninja:
My conscience fortunately has nothing to do with it. My 'oh crap next year's really going to bite if I don't get this out the way' instinct is the main incentive
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed