Turn on thread page Beta

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by poi12)
    I suppose, but I don't really pay attention to those flags for whatever reason.

White, british female. Generic.
    :rofl:

To be fair, if you don't notice the flag you'd probably have to read various Oxford-related threads to work out I'm Asian :yes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by poi12)
    This is sort of interesting. Not what I pegged you as. Similarly, for hobnob, I thought he was a white british male.
    Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you too - 'white' is the only bit of that description which is correct... But hey, one out of three isn't too bad.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Are you sure you're not confusing hobnob with me? I'm def female but I am South Asian :bhangra:
    That is a possibility! I feel there is no suspense with me as I have uploaded my picture, though it is fairly old and have had my haircut since then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poi12)
    This is sort of interesting. Not what I pegged you as. Similarly, for hobnob, I thought he was a white british male.
    Ha, ha, funny I thought hobnob was a white american male :p: (sorry hobnob :erm: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonbongirl)
    I'm actually taking some time off to decide exactly what I want to do - remember kids, doing a Master's so you don't have to decide what you want to do with your life is NOT a good idea! In any case, out of my year some are now doing Doctorates, most others are off working in development (NGOs, international organisations, World Bank, you name it, they're there). I don't think anybody cares whether it's Oxford or Cambridge, at the end of the day, it's still Oxbridge. Actually, it doesn't matter whether it's Oxford, Cambridge, SOAS, or Sussex, as long as it's a programme you enjoy and you come out with confidence about your knowledge of the field. But maybe I'm being too philosophical now...!
    Thanks for this info. You said somewhere that you didn't like the programme at Oxford so much and that a friend of yours really liked the one at Cambridge. I'd appreciate if you can explain why you didn't like Oxford that much, cos by reading their programmes I like Oxford's own much better (there's more on Africa, which I'm interested in) even though it's 2 years and Cambridge is just 1 year. I would only be able to afford Ox with scholarship though, cos 2 years means double the price and I don't have up to that.

My number 1 choice is LSE Development Management anyway, but I'd like if you tell more about Oxford programme since you actually did it, cos a friend of mine who did Economics for Development at Oxford enjoyed it a lot and can only tell good things about it.

EDIT: ok, sorry, just saw you wrote some of the reasons few posts ago, but, was it really that bad? As I said, from what I read about Cambridge programme, it's mostly general or Asian-focused, and I don't like that as much as Oxford's focus on Africa. But your comment about Oxford kinda discourages me cos if I go there I'd like to actually learn useful things.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into the stuff they offer at SOAS? I guess that's the place to be for everything africa related. A friend of mine is there at the moment and enjoys it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basti.13)
    Have you looked into the stuff they offer at SOAS? I guess that's the place to be for everything africa related. A friend of mine is there at the moment and enjoys it a lot.
    Hey, thanks. I've been looking at SOAS since when I was choosing my undergraduate and I still regret not going there but my parents didn't support it then and said I should do undergraduate in Slovenia (that's where I'm from).

If I don't get to any of the ones I applied to, I'll apply to SOAS as well, but I kinda had to cut it down cos my referees were complaining a bit already, writing references for 3 schools, telling me that did I know I can only go to one of them They obviously believe I'll get accepted anywhere I apply to lol... I wish they are right. But thanks for your advice. For postgrad SOAS was not one of my first choices cos where I want to work later, having a degree from Oxbridge or LSE really make a difference (though kinda laim, but it's a fact I need to consider to have more chances later in my life).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    American?:confused: I don't even use American spellings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    American?:confused: I don't even use American spellings.
    Well, I didn't pay attention to that Where are you from anyway, if I may ask?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tayesniggi)
    Well, I didn't pay attention to that Where are you from anyway, if I may ask?
    Germany.

ReputationRep:
    Germany.
    Uhm. I'd never guess that lol :o:

ReputationRep:

Hey all,
    I'd like to apply for Mst Women's Studies at Oxford. There are three deadlines for application: one in November, one in January and one in March.

Are my chances lower to get admitted if I apply in January instead of November?

Please help.

K xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karen.ghisella)

Hey all,
    I'd like to apply for Mst Women's Studies at Oxford. There are three deadlines for application: one in November, one in January and one in March.

Are my chances lower to get admitted if I apply in January instead of November?

Please help.

K xx
    I wouldn't say your chances are lower, just that you'll get more chances to be accepted if you apply in November. If your application is good, but the committee would rather hod onto you application until they see more application in the next field, submitting it in November would make you better off. (At least, that's what I think.)

ReputationRep:
    Germany.
    Really? I wouldn't have guessed that either.

ReputationRep:
    What about going to Oxbridge for medicine for postgraduation?? Does giving the USMLE exam increases your credits??

ReputationRep:
    I seem to get that a lot for some reason.:erm:
    Another similarity, although people only seem to confuse my gender, not my ethnic origin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Another similarity, although people only seem to confuse my gender, not my ethnic origin.
    Really? Even with the little 'Female' symbol by your user name? How can people not notice that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmn002)
    Really? Even with the little 'Female' symbol by your user name? How can people not notice that?
    Yes really :shifty: The symbol's been on display since the 8th of May 2005!

People seem to respond more to perceived tone and posting style. And perhaps text colour, although personally that would scream FEMALE to me :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I kept having people think I was a boy when I had a My Little Pony icon...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    I kept having people think I was a boy when I had a My Little Pony icon...
    I thought you were male (can't remember seeing a My Little Pony icon) :o:

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.