newman24x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rmn002)
No, not yet.
How long it has been? :confused:
I thought they are going to give out the offer like 1-2weeks ago?
rmn002
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by newman24x)
How long it has been? :confused:
I thought they are going to give out the offer like 1-2weeks ago?
It's been over 2 months since I sent in my application. Since I got my acceptance from St. Andrews I have been less concerned with my Edinburgh application, so I think I will give it time. I'm not that concerned now.
newman24x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's been over 2 months since I sent in my application. Since I got my acceptance from St. Andrews I have been less concerned with my Edinburgh application, so I think I will give it time. I'm not that concerned now.
2 months already? did you try to contact them again? i got mine after 5 weeks.

owh i hope ICL will not do this with me

so St.Andrews is better the Edin for History?
rmn002
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by newman24x)
2 months already? did you try to contact them again? i got mine after 5 weeks.
I haven't bothered calling them again. I think your program is just faster in dealing with applications then mine is.

so St.Andrews is better the Edin for History?
Probably not, but as long as I got in somewhere it reduces the amount of worry. So I am not too worried about my Edinburgh application, but I will call them again if I don't get a response by January.
tem11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm an international student who just found this forum last week. I applied to the Nov. 20th deadline for the MSt in Women's Studies at Oxford. Let the waiting begin!
newman24x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tem11)
I'm an international student who just found this forum last week. I applied to the Nov. 20th deadline for the MSt in Women's Studies at Oxford. Let the waiting begin!
Yes lets I think its mid January for the 20th deadline.

Probably not, but as long as I got in somewhere it reduces the amount of worry. So I am not too worried about my Edinburgh application, but I will call them again if I don't get a response by January.
that's quite long. Well maybe you'll get it sooner, don't worry
cyberpoet
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by karen.ghisella)
Thanks for your reply.
I didn't submit the application in the end-- just felt like I was ready!
But I'll definitely meet the Jan deadline-- both Women's Studies and English Literature. :p:
Are you applying to any schools at the moment? xx
No this is the only one. I was turned down by the MSt English course last year & am just too disheartened to reapply. Im also very keen on female Romantic writing which seems well covered by WS.

Ta
ntkris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dear Members,

Im an Indian student currently finishing my third year in Christ College, Bangalore. Im doing a Bachelor of Commerce.

Following is my profile:

BCom - 3.6 GPA

CIMA (Certified Institute of Management Accountants), UK - Cleared the certificate level and three subjects in the management level.

A research paper on Carbon Credits and their role in the Indian Secondary Market (will be published)

High School - 94 % ISC

Taking the GRE tomorrow - should get 780-800 on the Math and 500 ~ on the Verbal.

What are my chances at the following?

MSc Financial Eco - Oxford

Thank you!
Maka
Report 9 years ago
I have a friend who applied for the BPhil in Oxford but has an undergrad degree in TESOL. He told me he has a first degree, but I told him he didn't have a chance to get into Oxford Philosophy with that BA, regardless the quality of his degree..Do you think he stands a chance? (He'll pester me for the rest of his life if he's right on this one lol...)
poi12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Maka)
I have a friend who applied for the BPhil in Oxford but has an undergrad degree in TESOL. He told me he has a first degree, but I told him he didn't have a chance to get into Oxford Philosophy with that BA, regardless the quality of his degree..Do you think he stands a chance? (He'll pester me for the rest of his life if he's right on this one lol...)
Never heard of TESOL, so I googled. It would appear that TESOL is a professional certification, and nothing more. If that was his 'degree', I'd side with you on this one.
probably not
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the bphil is incredibly hard to get into even with a first in philosophy. i'd say his chances are virtually zero.
Jubie
Report 9 years ago
Hello everybody,
I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway -
I would very much like to do a PhD in English at Cambridge, but as I'm from Australia, and my course structure for undergrad seems quite different, I'm not sure of my chances.
I'm doing a Law/Arts combined degree at the University of Western Australia - it's two completely separate degrees, you just do them at the same time.

I did Honours in English this year and got a First - 89% for my dissertation, my GPA (in English units only) is 4.0, my average is about 85%.
I still have to complete my law degree, and my marks in law are a bit lower, but my combined average is still roughly 80%.

UWA is well regarded for an Australian uni, but is obviously nowhere near Cambridge in terms of international prestige.
I was wondering if you think I have a shot at Cambridge for an English PhD, also, if you think they'll worry too much about my law marks, seeing as they are unrelated to my proposed postgrad study.

Thank you very much for any and all advice
poi12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jubie)
X
You know, I never really understood all these 'chance' threads. Give yourself more credit; there is more to a person than a number.

Just apply. All you have to lose is 35 quid. If you have a well thought out research project, and if there is someone on the faculty who thinks said project is interesting and willing to take you on as a student, and if they are familiar with your academic preparation so as to make sure you are qualified, then surely you have a shot. How good of a shot, no stranger on here will be able to say. As with any competitive institution, admissions, at times, can be a crap shoot.
Jubie
Report 9 years ago
You're right, thanks.
I guess I was just nervous coming from not only a non-Oxbridge uni but a non-UK uni altogether, and for me, I won't just lose 35 quid, because our academic year runs February-November, I'll have to take almost a year off to apply for Cambridge that I could spend working on a PhD at an Aussie uni.
But, as you say, it is tricky to tell, and I'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks for your reply
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Jubie - would Cambridge not require you to do a master's first? Generally in arts they won't accept people onto a PhD straight from undergrad.
Jubie
Report 9 years ago
Yes, I'm pretty sure I'll have to do a master's first
(sorry, I should have mentioned that - in my head the master's has kind of been incorporated as a step towards the PhD and I tend to leave it out when explaining things)
somethingbeautiful
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does anyone know how popular the MPhil in Philosophy is at Cambridge? I know it probably won't make a difference but I'm curious . Also, this may have been asked a thousand times - does admission onto a Masters rest entirely on your degree classification or do they assess you in other ways? All I'm aware of is submitting written work and possibly an interview, aside from that is there any other deciding factor?
Zoetrope
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
Does anyone know how popular the MPhil in Philosophy is at Cambridge? I know it probably won't make a difference but I'm curious . Also, this may have been asked a thousand times - does admission onto a Masters rest entirely on your degree classification or do they assess you in other ways? All I'm aware of is submitting written work and possibly an interview, aside from that is there any other deciding factor?
I'm not sure how popular philosophy is, apologies.

The written work is to assess the standard at which you are working now, and your degree mark will also give them an indication of this. Aside from that, a lot of emphasis is placed on what your references say about you, as they will know if you have the potential to do well at postgraduate level. Also, there are sections on the form for you to discuss reasons for wanting to take the course, how it will help you in your future career, and to describe any previous research you might have done. Some departments may also ask for a statement of interests, detailing what subjects you would do on the MPhil.

All these things play their part, and they probably all have to be brilliant for Cambridge to make you an offer (depending, of course, on the competition).
somethingbeautiful
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zoetrope)
I'm not sure how popular philosophy is, apologies.

The written work is to assess the standard at which you are working now, and your degree mark will also give them an indication of this. Aside from that, a lot of emphasis is placed on what your references say about you, as they will know if you have the potential to do well at postgraduate level. Also, there are sections on the form for you to discuss reasons for wanting to take the course, how it will help you in your future career, and to describe any previous research you might have done. Some departments may also ask for a statement of interests, detailing what subjects you would do on the MPhil.

All these things play their part, and they probably all have to be brilliant for Cambridge to make you an offer (depending, of course, on the competition).
Thank you! I'll have to be pretty impressive then I suppose
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (147)
27.68%
No (384)
72.32%

Watched Threads