Turn on thread page Beta

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    I do know to some extent what I'm talking about. I do feel that the academic culture is very different in Sweden and the UK.
    I have never questioned your [I]opinions[I], merely the erroneous statements you were passing off as facts. You are certainly perfectly entitled to your opinions, regardless of how misinformed they may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balancecatcher)
    I have never questioned your opinions, merely the erroneous statements you were passing off as facts. You are certainly perfectly entitled to your opinions, regardless of how misinformed they may be.
    You think that the academic culture is exactly the same? and numbers are fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    You think that the academic culture is exactly the same? and numbers are fact
    As I said - I don't question your opinions. I have no idea what numbers you are referring to, but I have to disagree yet again - the factual value of most any number is certainly debatable, particularly in this context.

To me, you come off as someone who has a very specific, preconceived idea about academics in Sweden (without even living there, and, apparently, after having completed most of your degree abroad) that you want to share with other students in an international forum. Good for you; I pass no judgment on your misguided enthusiasm, but be prepared to be called on opinions passed off as facts and blatant fabrications. I do realize that you most probably did not expect to come across someone in this thread with 15+ years experience of Swedish academic culture, with a history at 6 Swedish undergraduate and graduate institutions, and with considerable experience as an academic adviser. Tough luck.

If this is very important to you, I am naturally willing to go through your posts and assemble an errata list, but I would prefer to do this via PM, as I do not wish to fill this thread with any further non-Oxbridge matters.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm in the process of writing my Oxford proposal of study and the two writing samples, but I'm worried about my CV. I've always been told to hype myself up here in Australia, and I think that's similar in the US; try to make yourself out to be great while not lying. But I worry that sort of approach may be inappropriate in the UK, and that it may be considered over the top or arrogant.

Does anyone have advice on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiontor)
    Hmm, I'm in the process of writing my Oxford proposal of study and the two writing samples, but I'm worried about my CV. I've always been told to hype myself up here in Australia, and I think that's similar in the US; try to make yourself out to be great while not lying. But I worry that sort of approach may be inappropriate in the UK, and that it may be considered over the top or arrogant.

Does anyone have advice on this?
    I would definitely do your best to sell your strengths, but maintain a bit of modesty or at least tact. CV shouldn't be too waffly anyway, just the facts.

What are you applying for by the Jan deadline? Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony_ron)
    I would definitely do your best to sell your strengths, but maintain a bit of modesty or at least tact. CV shouldn't be too waffly anyway, just the facts.

What are you applying for by the Jan deadline? Good luck
    Thanks for the reply - I'm applying for the MPhil in Egyptology. I'm actually worried my CV is a bit waffly... Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply - I'm applying for the MPhil in Egyptology. I'm actually worried my CV is a bit waffly... Thanks again!

what is this 'waffly' CV? sorry :o:
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    If you put it up in the CV Help thread I can take a look at it, if you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    what is this 'waffly' CV? sorry :o:
    Some Oxford courses require a CV as part of the application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Some Oxford courses require a CV as part of the application
    I think he was referring to the Briticism 'waffly', but he could have easily googled it if he really wanted to know.

ReputationRep:
    try to make yourself out to be great while not lying. But I worry that sort of approach may be inappropriate in the UK, and that it may be considered over the top or arrogant.
    Well, the better you are, the better your CV will look, obviously, and the less you will have to resort to near lies. I went for an all-out academic CV where I only very briefly commented on non-academic achievements, lied about nothing, and basically only stated my general awesomeness.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question regarding online applications: Has anyone tried submitting your application before all your references arrived? Can they be uploaded later on? The Embrak webpage says yes, but the Oxford application guide says you can't later anything once you submit- does this apply to references as well?
    My application is ready, the deadline is in a week and I'd rather submit it now, these things usually don't like foreign credit cards and I might need time to arrange another payment method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pure_joy)
    Quick question regarding online applications: Has anyone tried submitting your application before all your references arrived? Can they be uploaded later on? The Embrak webpage says yes, but the Oxford application guide says you can't later anything once you submit- does this apply to references as well?
    My application is ready, the deadline is in a week and I'd rather submit it now, these things usually don't like foreign credit cards and I might need time to arrange another payment method.
    Last year I submitted my application long before all my referees did their part. Just make sure they adhere to the deadline as well so that you are considered with the 2nd gathering field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poi12)
    Last year I submitted my application long before all my referees did their part. Just make sure they adhere to the deadline as well so that you are considered with the 2nd gathering field.
    Ok, great, thanks. It's a 4-year programme, doesn't go on the gathering field system, and the deadline is the 8th, so I'm probably gonna spend the next week chasing my referees.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any option to do a Msc in Physics at Oxford/Cambridge? I can't see anything on the websites which is a shame. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebd)
    Is there any option to do a Msc in Physics at Oxford/Cambridge? I can't see anything on the websites which is a shame. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    How hard have you looked? :rolleyes:

Cambridge has an MPhil in Physics. There is also Part III (M.A.St.) in Maths which you could read in DAMTP. Oxford seems to just have the DPhil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poi12)
    How hard have you looked? :rolleyes:

Cambridge has an MPhil in Physics. There is also Part III (M.A.St.) in Maths which you could read in DAMTP. Oxford seems to just have the DPhil.
    It looked like the entry requirements were a 2:1 in MSci/MPhys degree which would surely mean it would be wiser to go straight for the phd.

Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebd)
    It looked like the entry requirements were a 2:1 in MSci/MPhys degree which would surely mean it would be wiser to go straight for the phd.

Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid about this.
    Not quite sure which entry requirements you were referring to. DPhil/PhD? Sometimes it's not that easy. Even with your MSci/MPhys (which is still an undergraduate degree!), you may still need to do an MPhil or MSc before you can do a PhD/DPhil simply because you haven't learnt enough to do research.

I did a little more reading, and Oxford do offer an MSc in some physics areas, but the MSc is generally reserved for those who couldn't finish the DPhil and dropped out. Either way: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postg...uide/mpls.html

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this has already been discussed, I've had a quick look through various threads and haven't caught it, but just wondering if anyone can clarify the CHESS funding (specifically for a full time PhD), if you intend to apply for funding elsewhere such as ERSC and the like, do you resubmit the same application form, but with notice of gained funding?

Thanks in anticipation!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruhie)
    Apologies if this has already been discussed, I've had a quick look through various threads and haven't caught it, but just wondering if anyone can clarify the CHESS funding (specifically for a full time PhD), if you intend to apply for funding elsewhere such as ERSC and the like, do you resubmit the same application form, but with notice of gained funding?

Thanks in anticipation!!!
    Not quite sure what you are asking, possibly because I don't know how Research Council funding works, but consideration for CHESS is automatic with your normal, run-of-the-mill, Cambridge application. You don't have to do anything special. Deadline is 15 Feb.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.