The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
poi12
Not quite sure what you are asking, possibly because I don't know how Research Council funding works, but consideration for CHESS is automatic with your normal, run-of-the-mill, Cambridge application. You don't have to do anything special. Deadline is 15 Feb.

Not entirely sure myself about how Research Council funding works, I intend to cross that bridge when I come to it :s-smilie:

What I mean is if I did get my own funding, and at this rate it will be after the 15th Feb deadline, do I resubmit the same application as I did before the deadline, but just let them know I have my own funding?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 741
Ruhie
Not entirely sure myself about how Research Council funding works, I intend to cross that bridge when I come to it :s-smilie:

What I mean is if I did get my own funding, and at this rate it will be after the 15th Feb deadline, do I resubmit the same application as I did before the deadline, but just let them know I have my own funding?

Well, in principle, admissions and funding are two separate applications. Just because you can fund yourself doesn't mean you'll be given a place. But, generally, if you are competitive enough to be successful in a funding application, you are probably competitive enough for admissions.
Hi all, sorry if this has been addressed already, but can someone shed light on how much choosing a college matters in terms of your graduate application for Oxford? Can this affect whether or not you get in?
Reply 743
potatoespotatoes
Hi all, sorry if this has been addressed already, but can someone shed light on how much choosing a college matters in terms of your graduate application for Oxford? Can this affect whether or not you get in?

No, what college(s) you select on your application do not affect your chances of getting accepted for postgraduate programs. The faculty/department you apply to is only concerned with the abilities you have demonstrated with your undergraduate work, and your future potential as a postgraduate student and future academic/scholar. Colleges then decided whether or not to accept you after you have been accepted by the faculty/department.
Thanks! So what happens if the faculty or department accepts you, but a college doesn't?
potatoespotatoes
Thanks! So what happens if the faculty or department accepts you, but a college doesn't?

It doesn't happen. An academic offer guarantees a college offer.
threeportdrift
It doesn't happen. An academic offer guarantees a college offer.

...if you are not accepted by either of your top-choice colleges (which is not at all an uncommon situation) you will be pooled, but will eventually be offered a college place. This may certainly take a while, however; I have heard of people waiting as long as early September (!) before being offered a place.
Reply 747
balancecatcher
...if you are not accepted by either of your top-choice colleges (which is not at all an uncommon situation) you will be pooled, but will eventually be offered a college place. This may certainly take a while, however; I have heard of people waiting as long as early September (!) before being offered a place.

I've heard that some programs will e-mail you asking if you have any other colleges in mind after your primary two have rejected you.

On a side note, I could have sworn that I read a document somewhere on Oxfords website saying that 50-60% of postgraduate applicants are accepted to one of their two preferred colleges - but, conveniently, I can't find it.
Reply 748
rmn002
I've heard that some programs will e-mail you asking if you have any other colleges in mind after your primary two have rejected you.

I wouldn't count on that happening.

On a side note, I could have sworn that I read a document somewhere on Oxfords website saying that 50-60% of postgraduate applicants are accepted to one of their two preferred colleges - but, conveniently, I can't find it.

I believe it. Although there are a few colleges that stand out at Oxford, there is not the fanaticism as there is at Cambridge with Trinity, St John's, and King's.
Reply 749
poi12
I believe it. Although there are a few colleges that stand out at Oxford, there is not the fanaticism as there is at Cambridge with Trinity, St John's, and King's.

I guess Christ Church is one of the colleges that stand out at Oxford, but what would you say the other ones are?
Reply 750
rmn002
I guess Christ Church is one of the colleges that stand out at Oxford, but what would you say the other ones are?

Eh, I figured that question was coming. This sort of thing just ends up being a pissing match.

What I meant to get across is that at Oxford, college choice seems to be more sensible (and eclectic) so as for me to believe that statistic. There may be a few colleges which attract more applications than others, but it's not as bad as it is here at Cambridge with the three colleges I mentioned.

I will go with poi here, and raise him a not bloody likely. :wink:

Well, to me, 'not an uncommon situation' would roughly equal 40-50%, so there you have it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some colleges have a rather small population of postgraduates. That added to the subject targets equals a very small chance to get in at certain colleges. If there is one single spot and you're up against a Rhodes scholar, well...

I know I am going on and on about this, but DO YOUR RESEARCH, everyone. Just because a college is old and rich does by no means imply that you will automatically love it there. Don't just put two names that you've "heard about" on your application. Look at the things that matter to you; library access, scholarships, location, accommodation, formal hall frequency, social activities, graduate intake - the list is endless.

Do it now! :whip:
Thanks for your help, everyone, it's invaluable.
Reply 753
I am quite unfamiliar with the Oxbridge system but I was wondering can one take courses (say in Eng lit) while doing as a MSc by research degree? I guess this depends on arrangements with the PI, but still, does anyone know anything about this?
Reply 754
plasmodel
I am quite unfamiliar with the Oxbridge system but I was wondering can one take courses (say in Eng lit) while doing as a MSc by research degree? I guess this depends on arrangements with the PI, but still, does anyone know anything about this?

No one is going to stop you from attending lectures. It's just not practical.
Reply 755
plasmodel

As poi says, you'd be able to attend lectures for other subjects, but that's pretty much it. You wouldn't normally be able to attend any seminars, as they tend to be restricted to people who are actually on a specific course, and you certainly wouldn't be allowed to submit any coursework for assessment. Sorry.
Reply 756
Hi everyone,

I am getting worried about my applications (January deadline) for the AHRC Award: I could not access the link to the notes of guidance on their website, therefore I only ticked the AHRC box in the online form and did not submit any separate application. Is this bad?
Sooz2471
Hi everyone,

I am getting worried about my applications (January deadline) for the AHRC Award: I could not access the link to the notes of guidance on their website, therefore I only ticked the AHRC box in the online form and did not submit any separate application. Is this bad?

Which subject? As I know for History this year there wasn't anything extra that needed doing. But it IS subject dependent.

Did you fill in the main funding section about what you were applying for, period covered, amount covered etc?
Reply 758
Well yeah, but all I could do was say that I applied for it... and not even sure I actually did. Applying to DPhils in English or Modern Languages... my research proposal is about 1500 words long, I heard some people say they thought they needed to shorten theirs for AHRC but I have no idea whether this applies to my case.

Bloody internet connection.
Reply 759
Has anyone done the BCL at oxford?

Im particularly interested in the revenue law modules such as Tax, etc

Whats it like and how intense is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending