The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rinn
I'm hoping to apply for an MPhil/MSt in Classical Archaeology at Oxford and my 2nd year results came to an average of 63% (currently in my final year). I keep seeing 67% as the lowest figure Oxford will accept, will they refuse anyone with less than 67% or is that just a guideline? I should have a lot of practical experience relating to the degree by the time I graduate as well, so assuming I did graduate with a 2:1, but a lower 2:1, would relevant practical experience and strong references greatly improve my chances?
I understand this might be the kind of thing that's hard to answer, so if there's anyone out there applying to the same course, is currently studying it or has studied it, I'd love some more information on the application process and course itself if possible =)

one of my friends is doing the MSt this year. Tbh, 63% is pretty low, so unless you have something extraordinary, I don't think you have many chances, but it doesn't hurt to try. My friend had a lot of experience (basically 3-4 summers in excavations etc) and a ridiculously high mark. She was short listed for a scholarship. Practical experience is important, but the course itself is heavily research based (she has had to do one essay of 3000 words per week) so unless you can show them excellent pieces of written work, the practical experience on itself won't matter.
Also, I have noticed that a lot of the bibliography in classical archaeology (especially if you want to do Greek) requires Modern Greek and she also says she comes across French a lot. If you have a reading competence in these languages (and/or German) this would be a plus. But again, they say that the languages help you get the degree, not the offer.
If you have any specific questions let me know and I will ask her.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1281
Original post by Xristina
one of my friends is doing the MSt this year. Tbh, 63% is pretty low, so unless you have something extraordinary, I don't think you have many chances, but it doesn't hurt to try. My friend had a lot of experience (basically 3-4 summers in excavations etc) and a ridiculously high mark. She was short listed for a scholarship. Practical experience is important, but the course itself is heavily research based (she has had to do one essay of 3000 words per week) so unless you can show them excellent pieces of written work, the practical experience on itself won't matter.
Also, I have noticed that a lot of the bibliography in classical archaeology (especially if you want to do Greek) requires Modern Greek and she also says she comes across French a lot. If you have a reading competence in these languages (and/or German) this would be a plus. But again, they say that the languages help you get the degree, not the offer.
If you have any specific questions let me know and I will ask her.

Thank you very much. I know it is, and I'm really frustrated, I seem to be one of those people who spends months studying for exams and doesn't do great, whereas my housemate literally revises the night before and gets a first =/ I'll have 3 summers of excavations after graduating I hope, with 1 as a placement and 1 as a trainee (the first was part of a module during first year). I can read German, but maybe I should start brushing up on it more :wink: Thanks again, looks like I really need to try even harder this year, and I'll come to you if I can think of any questions! =)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rinn
Thank you very much. I know it is, and I'm really frustrated, I seem to be one of those people who spends months studying for exams and doesn't do great, whereas my housemate literally revises the night before and gets a first =/ I'll have 3 summers of excavations after graduating I hope, with 1 as a placement and 1 as a trainee (the first was part of a module during first year). I can read German, but maybe I should start brushing up on it more :wink: Thanks again, looks like I really need to try even harder this year, and I'll come to you if I can think of any questions! =)

I think your best chance is study very hard, bring your mark up to at least 65% and apply degree in hand, cause if they only see the 63% I think they will instantly reject you. Archaeology is a heavily over subscribed course
Reply 1283
Original post by Rinn
I'm hoping to apply for an MPhil/MSt in Classical Archaeology at Oxford and my 2nd year results came to an average of 63% (currently in my final year). I keep seeing 67% as the lowest figure Oxford will accept, will they refuse anyone with less than 67% or is that just a guideline? I should have a lot of practical experience relating to the degree by the time I graduate as well, so assuming I did graduate with a 2:1, but a lower 2:1, would relevant practical experience and strong references greatly improve my chances?
I understand this might be the kind of thing that's hard to answer, so if there's anyone out there applying to the same course, is currently studying it or has studied it, I'd love some more information on the application process and course itself if possible =)

I'm applying for a similar course with currently a 64% average (hoping to get it up to 65-70 this year of course).

I know how you feel about exams - the difference in my marks is ridiculous. Last year I got 48% in an exam while I got 74% in the matching essay (averaging out to 61% for the module...). I was smart in picking my modules for this year: 4/6 are essay-based, so no more exams to ruin my average. (One of the 2 exams I have left is a language exam and the other only counts 70%.) Unless I do badly in my essays of course, but then I'll just declare myself an idiot and I'll go do something else.
Original post by Zenobia
I'm applying for a similar course with currently a 64% average (hoping to get it up to 65-70 this year of course).

I know how you feel about exams - the difference in my marks is ridiculous. Last year I got 48% in an exam while I got 74% in the matching essay (averaging out to 61% for the module...). I was smart in picking my modules for this year: 4/6 are essay-based, so no more exams to ruin my average. (One of the 2 exams I have left is a language exam and the other only counts 70%.) Unless I do badly in my essays of course, but then I'll just declare myself an idiot and I'll go do something else.

I'd say that your advantage is that your course is not as popular. I suspect that a large number of people apply for Archaeology (I've actually met more Archaeologists than Classicists), whereas your subject is more obscure.
Reply 1285
Original post by Xristina
I'd say that your advantage is that your course is not as popular. I suspect that a large number of people apply for Archaeology (I've actually met more Archaeologists than Classicists), whereas your subject is more obscure.

The number of applicants on the website got me hopeful, but now I don't remember exactly where I found it so maybe I'm just making things up! I'm not applying until at least a year after graduating so I'll be applying part-time so hopefully I'll build up even more relevant experience too.
Reply 1286
Does anyone know anything about the MPhil in Political Thought and Intellectual History at Cambridge? Is it an oversubscribed course? What is the likely offer to be? I'd be applying with 67% in my second year, and I think I could get a couple % higher in my final year, from University of Warwick, studying Politics. Is it worth applying?
Original post by Deleuk
Does anyone know anything about the MPhil in Political Thought and Intellectual History at Cambridge? Is it an oversubscribed course? What is the likely offer to be? I'd be applying with 67% in my second year, and I think I could get a couple % higher in my final year, from University of Warwick, studying Politics. Is it worth applying?

Yes I think it is worth to apply... !!
good luck :smile:
Does anyone have any experience with the Diploma in Economics course at Cambridge? Is it hard to get in? I have an undergrad in engineering from a Dutch university which I finished with a high 2.1 and am finishing my masters now (same subject heading for distinction/cum laude). Still need to take GRE (Im an international student). Is it worth applying?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Doushisan
Does anyone have any experience with the Diploma in Economics course at Cambridge? Is it hard to get in? I have an undergrad in engineering from a Dutch university which I finished with a high 2.1 and am finishing my masters now (same subject heading for distinction/cum laude). Still need to take GRE (Im an international student). Is it worth applying?

GRE?? what for?
Original post by Athena

Why not to a Masters degree rather than the diploma? I've heard the Diploma is a bit of a joke, although I imagine the economics PhD students feel obliged to say that...

Thanks for your reply! Well I have no formal education in economics, though my quantitative skills are very good and I will have research experience from my current two year MSc... But I think my chances for the MPhil over the Diploma would be close to zero? Heh.

Xristina: Non-UK students are obliged to take the GRE for admission to any Economics program at Cambridge/Oxford/LSE.
Reply 1291
Original post by Doushisan
Thanks for your reply! Well I have no formal education in economics, though my quantitative skills are very good and I will have research experience from my current two year MSc... But I think my chances for the MPhil over the Diploma would be close to zero? Heh.

Without an economics background, yes. Is this one of the diploma courses that you can convert into a masters with a second year of study?
This could technically be a question that could apply to all universities, but seeing as I'm thinking about applying to Oxford for the MSc by Research in Experimental Psychology I thought it would be a good idea to ask this here. Basically, I have an interview at the Anna Freud centre at UCL tomorrow for an 18-month research internship that would continue throughout the rest of my degree. It sounds like a great opportunity, but equally it will take up a lot of my time, and as someone who already has a lot of commitments, I don't want my grades to suffer as a consequence.

How much would experience like this help with a research application? (Bearing in mind that the research I'll be helping out with will be in a similar area, but not exactly the area, that I'm thinking of going into). Would it make my application stronger?
Reply 1293
Hi, I've scanned through the thread and all but I've still got a really stupid question. I'm applying to the M.St in Global and Imperial History at Oxford for the January deadline - is it two or three references that I need? I was convinced it was two and a third was extra but trying to look through the site again I don't know where I got that idea. Any help?

(I'm sure I could find this somewhere else but my very slow internet is trying to send me round the bend)
Original post by WaSaDa
Hi, I've scanned through the thread and all but I've still got a really stupid question. I'm applying to the M.St in Global and Imperial History at Oxford for the January deadline - is it two or three references that I need? I was convinced it was two and a third was extra but trying to look through the site again I don't know where I got that idea. Any help?

(I'm sure I could find this somewhere else but my very slow internet is trying to send me round the bend)

for most courses it's three. you need to find your course's requirements and check there
Reply 1295
Maybe you got that idea from scanning through Cambridge's site? There it is two mandatory and one extra for funding. At Oxford it's simply three, in general anyway :wink:
Reply 1296
That's probably it! Thanks to both of you. Now, to find where on earth I left my brain so I can actually fill out these forms.
Morning team :-) random question I know, but are all offers from Oxford to do masters for Firsts? How likely is it that they give an offer that ISN'T a first?
Reply 1298
Original post by super-emily
Morning team :-) random question I know, but are all offers from Oxford to do masters for Firsts? How likely is it that they give an offer that ISN'T a first?

It depends on how popular the course is, really.
Original post by hobnob
It depends on how popular the course is, really.

I've applied for Medieval Studies. Do you reckon that they'd give lower offers to students who have applied for less popular courses? And a cynical friend has mentioned that because I'm self-funded, I'm more likely to get an offer. Do you reckon that's true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending