Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I filled in a form to send off my English Language GCSE papers because I was 4 marks off a B. I paid £35 straight away with my form, but now I have just been told that I have to pay another £35 pounds for the other paper that I sent with it. That is £70 pounds altogether. I am shocked that I have to pay so much. Do you think I should say something to my college because they didn't tell me it would cost £70 pounds altogether? If they would have told me, I wouldn't of bothered sending it for a remark because it's way too expensive. But is that right that I have to pay £70 because I did 2 English GCSE WJEC papers? I have only just found out that my grade is still the same with the marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous472)
    I filled in a form to send off my English Language GCSE papers because I was 4 marks off a B. I paid £35 straight away with my form, but now I have just been told that I have to pay another £35 pounds for the other paper that I sent with it. That is £70 pounds altogether. I am shocked that I have to pay so much. Do you think I should say something to my college because they didn't tell me it would cost £70 pounds altogether? If they would have told me, I wouldn't of bothered sending it for a remark because it's way too expensive. But is that right that I have to pay £70 because I did 2 English GCSE WJEC papers? I have only just found out that my grade is still the same with the marks.
    It's expensive because to have the admin staff in place to manage the process and communication with schools and the markers to do the remark work and necessary checking tasks all costs money. The process for marking lots of papers the first time round can be automated where sorting out individual remarks needs individual attention. If the examiners have made a mistake and your grade goes up they return the fee. It is also expensive deliberately to inhibit everyone from getting every paper remarked. If it was free why wouldn't you remark all of the ones you wish turned out better?
    £70 for two papers sounds right. You could try saying you thought the fee was to remark the whole subject and you can't afford another £35, maybe your college will be generous and pay it from their exam funds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should have been told before you applied for the re-mark that the price was per unit/paper. I would explain, in writing, that you weren't aware. The correct fee should have been charged at the time, not retrospectively.

ReputationRep:
    The system is corrupt.

ReputationRep:
    Most schools actually cover the cost of a remark did you make sure to enquire before sending off your own money? Personally my school has paid for my French remark and I guess it's fair, it reflects on their results too, so that could be one more A* to put them above the other schools.

ReputationRep:
    My school, a private college, charge £80 per unit. They, however, as they requested for the remark beforehand decided to pay 50% off it.
    They should've told you, but you should've known by instincts.

ReputationRep:
    Re-marks actually cost more than the initial entry price - especially on multiple paper subjects like Science. Some schools just don't have the budget to re-mark everyone who was close to the boundary. Our school rarely pays for re-marks, but still gives students the opportunity by allowing them to pay themselves.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by anonymous472)
    You should have read the information on the website properly. Its all there and quite clear. Its your own fault for not checking.

In the real world exams are much more expensive, so think yourself lucky its all so cheap.

ReputationRep:
    1. They don't care about you
    2. They'd do anything to stop a flood of remarks that make them look bad even if they did an awful job.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is due to changes this year you are only likely to get marked up if there was an error with the marking, not just a difference of opinion, I was 1 mark B grade in English lit and came back unchanged , however Drama was a clerical error and went up 8 marks which was 2 grades this year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.