The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick offer holders 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Garno45
Hello everyone,

I really need to ask someone about Warwick's Theatre and Performance studies course.I thought that it would be good to ask these questions to a student, especially a student who is currently on the course.

I've recently firmed my offer to study French and theatre studies (joint honours) come September at the university of Warwick. However, I am concerned that the department's definition of 'practical' and my definition of 'practical' are not the same. I would like to know, are there opportunities to perform on this course? I am well aware that it is not an acting degree, that students do not get taught acting, and that acting is not assessed during performance exams. What I would like to know is:

Can students create something that tells a story with characters for certain practical assessments (if the group’s ideas lead to this)? Can they use their bodies, speech and expression to do this? I know that this is not an acting course and that no one gets taught how to act, but I find that being able to perform a character in a devised performance/performance of an adapted text can be a good way to get a point across. I am also a very kinaesthetic learner, so this is good for me.

Are there opportunities to perform while learning on this course, even though you are not assessed on acting, but on how you answer a research question?

Another question that is pressing on my mind concerns how theory modules are taught (modules not assessed by a performance exam). I know that this depends on the lecturer, but are there regular workshop exercises involving voice and movement on theory modules? Or are they mostly taught through seminars and lectures?

Also, some of the current modules, such as the second year module 'dramaturgy' seem practical, but are not assessed by a performance exam. Instead, they are assessed by a 'practice-based portfolio' and a 'project-based assessment'. What are these assessments? Are they practical in nature? Does the portfolio involve you and your group filming your ideas? Can your 'project' include devising a performance?

I would appreciate a response as soon as possible, as these questions are pressing on my mind quite heavily (also, if I want to call UCAS and change my mind about my firm choice, tomorrow is my last day to do so).

Thank you so much for your time!

Call them ASAP. I sadly don't know anyone on the course.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hello!
I have offers from King's College and Warwick for Computer Science
I'm torn between the two! I love London, but I know that Warwick's CS course is more well known, reputed etc
Soo any help is appreciated!
I'm not very knowledgeable about CS but I will say that you should choose a better course over location always. So if you 'know' that Warwick is more reputed, go for it!

Original post by macmilin
Hello!
I'm torn between the two! I love London, but I know that Warwick's CS course is more well known, reputed etc
Reply 1163
Original post by macmilin
Hello!

If you know Warwick is the better option for your course I'd say go for it but it also depends on the kind of university experience you want. London isn't really know for having the best student experience but I guess if you don't live in London it may still appear glamorous to you. I know loads of people who have gone to both kings and Warwick and enjoy their experience, you just have to decide what suits you.
Original post by dididid
anybody got any emails from Warwick since firming them ? firmed Warwick Maths over a week ago but haven't got any confirmation email or anything to do with accommodation.

I firmed for law a week ago. Received an email confirming my place yesterday (the offer was unconditional)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mck12345
I firmed for law a week ago. Received an email confirming my place yesterday (the offer was unconditional)

yh thanks . i got an email today from them too finally:
Hi, so I've got an offer for Management at the Business school for AAA. Just wondering - would they let me in with A*AB?
Does anyone know when accommodation is opening, seems like they keep pushing back the date?
Original post by megmogs101
Hi, so I've got an offer for Management at the Business school for AAA. Just wondering - would they let me in with A*AB?

I would personally say yes. Do not hold me to account though!
Can we start a WhatsApp GC for Warwick offer holders in general?
Original post by Senxpen
Does anyone know when accommodation is opening, seems like they keep pushing back the date?

Early June I believe

Original post by Itssleah
Can we start a WhatsApp GC for Warwick offer holders in general?

There already is one http://chat.whatsapp.com/7rQnx3LcSBNBbem1If2gfm
Original post by megmogs101

Currently at WBS. Very certainly not. It's very strict when it comes to meeting your offer there. There were people who got AAB, missed the A by a couple of % and got rejected. Due to the high volume competition, if you do not satisfy the requirements you will not get in.

Good luck with meeting your offer.
Original post by MrsDarcy_221B
I'm not very knowledgeable about CS but I will say that you should choose a better course over location always. So if you 'know' that Warwick is more reputed, go for it!

Warwick's CS course is much more mathematical, challenging than the program at Kings. Hence, job prospects from Warwick increase when you pursue tech, or something heavily maths orientated like quantitative trading
Original post by glebp
Currently at WBS. Very certainly not. It's very strict when it comes to meeting your offer there. There were people who got AAB, missed the A by a couple of % and got rejected. Due to the high volume competition, if you do not satisfy the requirements you will not get in.

Good luck with meeting your offer.

How about the A*AB?
Original post by KweenK
How about the A*AB?

The grade requirements are strict. It's AAA or above. The A* sadly can't substitute the B. WBS is very over subscribed and many people here have A*AAA and above, despite it being a "business" course.

For things like CS, you can get away with it and other subjects. If applying for maths, they may put you on MathStat instead.

Only for Economics and WBS it's strict, other departments let you in or change you to another course within the same department, e.g Engineering.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by glebp
The grade requirements are strict. It's AAA or above. The A* sadly can't substitute the B. WBS is very over subscribed and many people here have A*AAA and above, despite it being a "business" course.

For things like CS, you can get away with it and other subjects. If applying for maths, they may put you on MathStat instead.

Only for Economics and WBS it's strict, other departments let you in or change you to another course within the same department, e.g Engineering.

I'm not part of the WBS nor do I know anyone who is besides my residential tutor and holy sheet it is incredible. The WBS is arguably the best part of Warwick to be honest.
Original post by TitanCream
I'm not part of the WBS nor do I know anyone who is besides my residential tutor and holy sheet it is incredible. The WBS is arguably the best part of Warwick to be honest.

You're forgetting the Maths Department there, arguably one the best parts of Warwick for sure, I wouldn't go as far as saying WBS is the best part, it along with Economics, Maths and a couple others make up the best part of Warwick.
Does anyone know how competitive the Politics department is? I have an offer for AAA offer for PAISGSD. Are they strict? Say I miss out on one grade and get AAB
Original post by rugbygirl254
Does anyone know how competitive the Politics department is? I have an offer for AAA offer for PAISGSD. Are they strict? Say I miss out on one grade and get AAB

Hey, according to the guardian league tables Warwick is the third best university in the country for politics, it even beats Cambridge. Considering this, depending on how other students perform, it is really hard to say whether they will let you in or not. Hope this helps x
Hi All,

Any update on when accommodation applications will be opening?

Also, where are people applying to? I have absolutely no idea what I'll be doing.

Good luck with exams everybody!

Quick Reply

Latest