Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I Do my NQT Year in Australia? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a parent living over in Australia who has citizenship but I do not. I was wondering if there would be more chance for me to go over and do my NQT year there because of this? I have seen a few people say 3 years experience is required but wanted to see if anybody knew if me having a parent who Is a permanent resident living there, that I would have more chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by something127)
    I have a parent living over in Australia who has citizenship but I do not. I was wondering if there would be more chance for me to go over and do my NQT year there because of this? I have seen a few people say 3 years experience is required but wanted to see if anybody knew if me having a parent who Is a permanent resident living there, that I would have more chance?
    I am in exactly the same boat! My dad now lives there and has citizenship. I am training to be a teacher this year and my partner and I would like to move out there next year and I was hoping I could do my NQT year there.
    Would love a response on this one!

ReputationRep:
    You would need to find a BSO (British School Overseas) in Australia who is accredited to offer you the chance to do your NQT year there. Most international schools (anywhere in the world...not just Australia!) do NOT have this status. Equally I'm led to believe that the Australian system is totally different and that thus you wouldn't be able to complete your NQT year in the Australian state sector.

So presumably your first step would be to find a BSO in Australia that would take you.

ReputationRep:
    If you received a bursary you may not be able to for X amount of years as its an incentive to teach here.
    You'd need PGCE too, not just QTS.

You could always email a school and ask?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.