Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently I take 12 GCSE's which is a lot compared to others. However recently my hate for Computer Science has grown massively and preferably I would like to drop the subject (Even though I take my exam next May).

TO give you a run down on spec its 60% Coursework 40% Theory Exam. I'm not even half way through the 1st controlled assessment and we haven't learnt much theory yet.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on dropping or continuing this subject.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What programming language and task? Tbh its a lot of time wasted if you drop it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igc)
    Currently I take 12 GCSE's which is a lot compared to others. However recently my hate for Computer Science has grown massively and preferably I would like to drop the subject (Even though I take my exam next May).

TO give you a run down on spec its 60% Coursework 40% Theory Exam. I'm not even half way through the 1st controlled assessment and we haven't learnt much theory yet.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on dropping or continuing this subject.

Thanks
    Talk to your subject teachers or head of house or even your form tutor. I was in the exact same position - doing 12 and hating one of them (Art) and my only regret is not taking action sooner (I struggled for 2 and a half years before reaching breaking point). Ultimately your happiness it the most important thing - I know from experience the coursework involved in that subject held me back in other subjects because I was always behind on the coursework which only added more stress I didn't need. If it starts to impinge on your progress in other subjects then it's not worth it and the school won't get the results they want and you won't get the results you deserve!

However, something like computer science is going to be useful when applying for jobs etc as you can officially show you're adept with technology thanks to your GCSE. Is it a compulsory subject or optional? That is going to be hard to drop if it is compulsory. Also I did ICT so slightly different but my course was weighted the same. My coursework wasn't very food as I struggled a lot but because I really focused on learning the theory I got the maximum mark and managed to get an A despite my coursework being considerably lower than that so it can be done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_JoKeR)
    What programming language and task? Tbh its a lot of time wasted if you drop it now
    Python and we have to create a Population Model

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hgalpin)
    Talk to your subject teachers or head of house or even your form tutor. I was in the exact same position - doing 12 and hating one of them (Art) and my only regret is not taking action sooner (I struggled for 2 and a half years before reaching breaking point). Ultimately your happiness it the most important thing - I know from experience the coursework involved in that subject held me back in other subjects because I was always behind on the coursework which only added more stress I didn't need. If it starts to impinge on your progress in other subjects then it's not worth it and the school won't get the results they want and you won't get the results you deserve!

However, something like computer science is going to be useful when applying for jobs etc as you can officially show you're adept with technology thanks to your GCSE. Is it a compulsory subject or optional? That is going to be hard to drop if it is compulsory. Also I did ICT so slightly different but my course was weighted the same. My coursework wasn't very food as I struggled a lot but because I really focused on learning the theory I got the maximum mark and managed to get an A despite my coursework being considerably lower than that so it can be done!

Its a bit tricky tbh, the school made us choose either Computer Science or Multimedia but I chose Computer Science because the multimedia offered wasn't a proper GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    drop it, i did it for gcse and it took far too much time off my hands
    (Original post by igc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igc)
    Population model? in that case drop. Sounds like a very time consuming task

ReputationRep:
    Do schools actually let you drop GCSE's?
    Mine didnt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.