Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Is it beautiful to be poor? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only nerd on here who doesn't want to be an investment banker/lawyer and obtain a high salary? I quite like being poor and ordinary. There's a romance to it I think and it's sort of rock n roll as well. Anyone feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's retarded that we romanticise failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jizzy Jihad)
    No, it's retarded that we romanticise failure.
    So money is the illustration of success to you Jizzy Jihad?

ReputationRep:
    No - minimalist living can be beautiful but being poor really isn't, esp when you bout to be evicted from your house. Nothing romantic or rock and roll about it.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing beautiful about always worrying about money and your kids future.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to lie, I'd love to be rich. Realistically speaking, I'd like to be somewhere in between. Without money you can't survive and money can buy comfort.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Who wouldn't want to be like this guy though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    No - minimalist living can be beautiful but being poor really isn't, esp when you bout to be evicted from your house. Nothing romantic or rock and roll about it.
    Romanticising poverty is a luxury only the upper middle class kids are able to indulge in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    I guess minimalist living is what I meant. Obviously being extremely poor where you can't even afford your own house is not something I would advocate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Who wouldn't want to be like this guy though?

Those could be one dollar notes, so he could be on a 100 dollars a month lol.

ReputationRep:
    No you're not the only one. Fair play to you for not being controlled by money like 99% of the world are. Anyone who can learn to appreciate what they have even if it's not a lot are the real successes imo.

I can kinda see what you mean about the romantic bit as well, not like an attraction, but if you were poor and still decided to have a gf/bf and spend money on gifts/trips out/looking after them, that's a lot more romantic than some rich banker taking his wife somewhere without having to worry about the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jizzy Jihad)
    Romanticising poverty is a luxury only the upper middle class kids are able to indulge in.
    Jizzy Jihad I'm not upper middle class in fact I'm working class and I'm going to university this fall. I have no intentions to try a career in banking/business/finance because I have no intentions to become rich. I prefer being poor.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IronicalMan)
    Those could be one dollar notes, so he could be on a 100 dollars a month lol.
    That's just him in the first hour brah

ReputationRep:
    Try being dirt poor, homeless, scavenging for your next meal then see how rock n roll and beautiful it is

ReputationRep:
    No, need my suit budget well stocked
    Suits are good
    Everyone should wear suits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    That's just him in the first hour brah
    First hour of pleasing 20 80 year old women ? LMAO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DraculaMihawk)
    So money is the illustration of success to you Jizzy Jihad?
    It's not synonymous with success, you get underpaid research scientists who do a fine job of improving civilisation and are motivated by their thirst for knowledge, but in general it a male virtue to have that competitive drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Try being dirt poor, homeless, scavenging for your next meal then see how rock n roll and beautiful it is
    Literally he doesn't know what being poor is like. I know people who are poor and it's not a nice life.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's beautiful to be poor, but I do think showing some self-restraint and modesty are good values. It's a sharp contrast to the love of excess and gluttony so often preached in our consumer capitalist society that has turned us into one of the most obese nations on the planet.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.