The Student Room Group

A Level Maths

Hello, I have chosen Maths as one of my A Level choices and I was wondering if anyone has any advice as I am really nervous about doing maths due it being known as being really tough.
I would only recommend if you have a strong A or A* at GCSE, and/or if you did further maths GCSE (this will help a lot but not essential). I've had 2 lessons already and it is hard, but okay. I got an A* in both GCSE maths and further maths. :smile:
Original post by jazz_xox_
I would only recommend if you have a strong A or A* at GCSE, and/or if you did further maths GCSE (this will help a lot but not essential). I've had 2 lessons already and it is hard, but okay. I got an A* in both GCSE maths and further maths. :smile:

I've not had any lessons yet but my my first one is tomorrow. I got an A at GCSE and was 5 marks off the A*. My school didn't offer Further Maths as a choice at GCSE. Do you think I will be okay?
Reply 3
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
I've not had any lessons yet but my my first one is tomorrow. I got an A at GCSE and was 5 marks off the A*. My school didn't offer Further Maths as a choice at GCSE. Do you think I will be okay?

Youll be fine, A level maths aint that hard,
Use examsolutions and you should pretty much be fine
Reply 4
I got a B in GCSE Maths and a B in GCSE Further Maths and I'm doing Maths at A-Level... I'm actually finding it really easy; I do have a fantastic teacher though.
Reply 5
Just ensure that you keep up with the topics and don't fall behind - something that applies to all of your A-Levels. It's important that the foundation is established at the very beginning of the year or else you will struggle to build upon that for obvious reasons.

Don't be afraid to ask your teachers if you're struggling! They're there to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I have chosen Maths as one of my A Level choices and I was wondering if anyone has any advice as I am really nervous about doing maths due it being known as being really tough.

I got a B at GCSE and I do A-Level Maths, as long as you work hard you'll get the grades, maths is generally quite a repetitive subject, so there's only so many questions they can ask you, so if you just do all of the exam papers and practise as much as you can you should be fine.
Original post by Jessinoch
I got a B at GCSE and I do A-Level Maths, as long as you work hard you'll get the grades, maths is generally quite a repetitive subject, so there's only so many questions they can ask you, so if you just do all of the exam papers and practise as much as you can you should be fine.

Are you starting it this year or are you now on A2?
Are you starting it this year or are you now on A2?

I did AS last year, but I didn't put much effort into my A-Levels (big mistake), so now I'm retaking this year again :smile:
I did AS last year, but I didn't put much effort into my A-Levels (big mistake), so now I'm retaking this year again :smile:

Would you say that Maths was difficult itself or you just found it difficult because of you not putting a lot of effort in?
Would you say that Maths was difficult itself or you just found it difficult because of you not putting a lot of effort in?

Difficult because I didn't put the effort in for sure, my advice would be to just make sure you keep up with the topics and if you get stuck to go over it and don't let it pile up, then every time you finish a topic or module do exam paper/question again and again and do them frequently over the year and you'll be fine.
Difficult because I didn't put the effort in for sure, my advice would be to just make sure you keep up with the topics and if you get stuck to go over it and don't let it pile up, then every time you finish a topic or module do exam paper/question again and again and do them frequently over the year and you'll be fine.

Okay thanks good luck with your year and exams
Okay thanks good luck with your year and exams

Thanks, you too
Reply 13
Hello, I have chosen Maths as one of my A Level choices and I was wondering if anyone has any advice as I am really nervous about doing maths

Just practice and make sure you understand. Never brush something under the carpet and go "well, I don't really understand why this works, but it probably won't come up, so nevermind". Ask about it on TSR or a teacher or something, you've got no excuse not to! It'll help immensely. Too many people don't realise this.

due it being known as being really tough.

It's not.

Yes :smile: Give it a try and you can always drop out if you really struggle, but with a high A I'm sure you'' be just fine. Core 1 is a lot of overlap from GCSE too.

Quick Reply