The Student Room Group

Help me choose a college!

It's between Downing, Clare, St Catz, Emma and Caius right now. I'm thinking of applying for Economics.
You're going to have to give some indication of what you're looking for.
Eg location/size/number of economists etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Got anymore details about what you want from the colleges?
Reply 3
@NinjaPandaaa @Zeumryn Yes, sorry! Well, I'd like an old-ish college, and one that looks quite nice that gives me the ability to roam. I'm not too fussed about it being right in the centre of the city but I'd still like easy access to shops etc. I'd like about 5-7 other economists? It's nice to have a bit of a group, but I'd like small supervisions - 2 would be nice (or even 1, but if that's not possible with a group of 6-8 in the first year then it's fine). Don't really mind the size of the college as a whole, though I'd (naturally) like more easy going and friendly people. I'd like ensuite rooms. I don't mind distance from the economics faculty, as long as it's not TOO far to walk... Food-wise, I don't mind all that much (yes I've heard Caius has a bit of a reputation in that department, but it's not a deciding factor for me).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by amelienine
@NinjaPandaaa @Zeumryn Yes, sorry! Well, I'd like an old-ish college, and one that looks quite nice that gives me the ability to roam. I'm not too fussed about it being right in the centre of the city but I'd still like easy access to shops etc. I'd like about 5-7 other economists? It's nice to have a bit of a group, but I'd like small supervisions - 2 would be nice (or even 1, but if that's not possible with a group of 6-8 in the first year then it's fine). Don't really mind the size of the college as a whole, though I'd (naturally) like more easy going and friendly people. I'd like ensuite rooms. I don't mind distance from the economics faculty, as long as it's not TOO far to walk... Food-wise, I don't mind all that much (yes I've heard Caius has a bit of a reputation in that department, but it's not a deciding factor for me).

They're all about the right number of economists, but I've no idea how many would be in a supervision I'd be relatively certain that they wouldn't be 1:1 and it'd be more like 2-4 in one.

Closest to the faculty would be caius 1st year accom (think 2nd year stuff is further away), then catz, then Clare or Emma and then downing.

Catz and Clare are probably closest to the main sainsburys and shopping area. Cauis depends where you live because I know accom is dotted around. Emma's pretty close to the main shopping area but a little further from sainsburys. Downing is the furthest out but has a sainsburys local and some decent restaurants right outside.

All the colleges are pretty old. Clare and catz look the nicest imo. Although Emma's duckpond is cute and downing has some interesting architecture. Size-wise think the colleges are all relatively big except for catz which is quite a small site so you couldn't do much roaming.

Downing has really good formal food I know that.

Any other questions feel free to ask - also look at the alternative prospectus applytocambridge.co.UK I think it's called

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Any other questions feel free to ask - also look at the alternative prospectus applytocambridge.co.UK I think it's called

https://www.applytocambridge.com

:smile:
Reply 6
Downing, Clare, St Catz, Emma and Caius

It's worth bearing in mind that people tend to drastically overplay distances in Cambridge. Clare, Catz, Caius and Emma are all really close to one another, and Downing isn't far from Emma. Cambridge is small, and most people have bikes anyway, so don't let distance sway you too much!
Original post by amelienine

Completely agree with @camaieu regarding the distance. Cambridge is not very big at all, even if you're at a college outside the centre, everything is within 5-10 min bike ride (expect for *cough* Girton*cough*).
About a half of economists at Cambridge I've known chose colleges in western part of Cambridge because its proximity to Sedgwick site, which none of them is in your short list. And they were as happy with their college as others who were at other colleges in town centre.

If you want roam around, it really doesn't have to be old colleges. Newer colleges tend to have larger ground than town centre colleges and some of the gardens are very nice with lots of plants, trees, even with a pond/brooks.

Also, almost all colleges (esp. old colleges) have ugly 'modern' accommodation building/s because they had to adjust to the rapid increase of students in late-60s/70s. So don't be swayed too much by glorious historic buildings they want to use for marketing. :wink:

As for atmosphere, virtually every college claims they're very/the most friendly college with relaxed atmosphere .......and they're all right. So don't worry too much about it either.

In short, please don't spend too long for deciding which college to apply to. You'll be happy at any of them. (Even at Girton. :wink:
Reply 8
Thank you for the advice everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending