Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been wondering about this for a while and I would be grateful if someone could tell me whether student finance will continue to fund me for my circumstance.

So,

I've just completed a foundation year at my university, and now I am progressing to my first year of my chosen degree.

Originally my uni had put me in a aeronautical + foundation year course 'code',even though I applied for mechanical engineering. They did this because after the foundation year I can progress to any engineering course and it was easier to put everyone together- which in my case is mechanical eng.

Therefore, I changed my original to aeronautical + foundation year code on student finance (looking back I probably shouldn't)

now the main issue is this:

I've done 1 foundation year
    Now, I've changed my SFE course code to 4 years (sandwich) - mechanical engineering.

So, if I decided to do a master's after this would student finance still fund me.

I heard somewhere the placement year isn't considered as a year of studying. So does that mean I will be funded for my foundation year, 3 years at uni and masters?

Lastly, I heard student finance fund you for 4 years

I would love someone's advice. Thank you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You will get funded, yes. You get length of course + 1 - previous study. So, if that includes a foundation and a sandwich year, you'll still get funded for all.

If the masters is a different course, the funding is different. Your previous funding will be ignored.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ❃ Stardust ❃)
    I've been wondering about this for a while and I would be grateful if someone could tell me whether student finance will continue to fund me for my circumstance.

So,

I've just completed a foundation year at my university, and now I am progressing to my first year of my chosen degree.

Originally my uni had put me in a aeronautical + foundation year course 'code',even though I applied for mechanical engineering. They did this because after the foundation year I can progress to any engineering course and it was easier to put everyone together- which in my case is mechanical eng.

Therefore, I changed my original to aeronautical + foundation year code on student finance (looking back I probably shouldn't)

now the main issue is this:

I've done 1 foundation year
    Now, I've changed my SFE course code to 4 years (sandwich) - mechanical engineering.

So, if I decided to do a master's after this would student finance still fund me.

I heard somewhere the placement year isn't considered as a year of studying. So does that mean I will be funded for my foundation year, 3 years at uni and masters?

Lastly, I heard student finance fund you for 4 years

I would love someone's advice. Thank you.
    When you say Masters do you mean a MEng (undergraduate Masters, also known as an integrated Masters) or MSc (postgraduate Masters). The funding is different.

If you mean MEng then that's just a longer undergrad course and your current funding can cover it. You just tell SFE you are doing the longer course.

If it's a MSc then you need a postgrad loan.

Note, most engineers do the MEng not BEng (or BSc) + MSc, because the funding is simpler. Sometimes they start in the BEng stream, and then with good marks, move "up" to the MEng stream after year 1 or 2. That's quite normal, and not a funding problem at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    When you say Masters do you mean a MEng (undergraduate Masters, also known as an integrated Masters) or MSc (postgraduate Masters). The funding is different.

If you mean MEng then that's just a longer undergrad course and your current funding can cover it. You just tell SFE you are doing the longer course.

If it's a MSc then you need a postgrad loan.

Note, most engineers do the MEng not BEng (or BSc) + MSc, because the funding is simpler. Sometimes they start in the BEng stream, and then with good marks, move "up" to the MEng stream after year 1 or 2. That's quite normal, and not a funding problem at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Currently I'm on BEng, however if my uni tell me that I am able to do the MEng, should I
    not recieve any hassle from student finance by changing it in second year.

Thanks
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ❃ Stardust ❃)
    Currently I'm on BEng, however if my uni tell me that I am able to do the MEng, should I
    not recieve any hassle from student finance by changing it in second year.

Thanks
    Correct. That's absolutely fine, and a very common change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on 3rd bsc forensic science but really want to change to msci forensic science. However, I've already completed 2 years+1 year repeat on previous study on different course. That makes it total 4 years including this year. My question is would student loan fund the extra year to compete msci, which would make it 5 years total funding??

Please help thanks in advance
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by renabazzle)
    I'm currently on 3rd bsc forensic science but really want to change to msci forensic science. However, I've already completed 2 years+1 year repeat on previous study on different course. That makes it total 4 years including this year. My question is would student loan fund the extra year to compete msci, which would make it 5 years total funding??

Please help thanks in advance
    Hi Renabazzle

if you switch to do a 4 year course you will be awarded 5 years of funding, minus any previous study, which is your 3 years so far. This means you would be entitled for funding for years 3 and 4.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.