The Student Room Group

Law and Tea: Pixsoul’s Study Blog

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry to hear you don't feel a weight's been lifted yet :console: Maybe that will come in time to come, once you've heard back from uni? Massive hugs :hugs:

It will kick in later I think. Uni confirmed this afternoon that it's ok, I just need to speak to the uni finance team to sort out the price difference between FT / PT and when the payments will need to be made. I know in my head it's the right thing to do, there's just that little niggle. I genuinely take my hat off to those of you doing a PhD, MA etc. and working; I'm drowning in a sea of **** at work; I don't know how you all do it.

The walk home helped a bit.

:hugs: back at ya.

Original post by Obsidian
Hi! I've been away so have been catching up. Sorry to hear things haven't been great.
Was most intrigued to hear about the new teas though :biggrin:

:wavey: How's things?

It'll get there - everything always works out one way or another. On the subject of tea though.... :biggrin:

There's a shop in Meadowhall called T2; I've wandered past but I know if I go in, I'll come out with more tea than I could drink in a lifetime.
Original post by Pixsoul
It will kick in later I think. Uni confirmed this afternoon that it's ok, I just need to speak to the uni finance team to sort out the price difference between FT / PT and when the payments will need to be made. I know in my head it's the right thing to do, there's just that little niggle. I genuinely take my hat off to those of you doing a PhD, MA etc. and working; I'm drowning in a sea of **** at work; I don't know how you all do it.

The walk home helped a bit.

:hugs: back at ya.

I haven't done any PhD work since my upgrade. Skim-read 40 pages of a book in that nearly-2 month period but that's about it :hide: So I don't know how anyone does it either :biggrin: :ninja: :dontknow:
Original post by Pixsoul

:wavey: How's things?

It'll get there - everything always works out one way or another. On the subject of tea though.... :biggrin:

There's a shop in Meadowhall called T2; I've wandered past but I know if I go in, I'll come out with more tea than I could drink in a lifetime.

Hey :biggrin:

Things are pretty good - managed to get a full-time job :biggrin: Lots to sort out but I'm pretty pleased. Been reading lots too and that makes me happy!

That sounds immense :smile: I have some special teabags that I was given for Christmas. I had the first one last week! :biggrin: They have literary quotes on.

Hope things calm down a lot for you.
Reply 143
Original post by Obsidian
Hey :biggrin:

Things are pretty good - managed to get a full-time job :biggrin: Lots to sort out but I'm pretty pleased. Been reading lots too and that makes me happy!

That sounds immense :smile: I have some special teabags that I was given for Christmas. I had the first one last week! :biggrin: They have literary quotes on.

Hope things calm down a lot for you.

:facepalm: I know I wrote a reply to this but I obviously missed out the submit bit!

Congratulations on the job! :king1: If you have already started, I hope it's going well.

Have you read anything recommendation-worthy? I finished South of Forgiveness at the weekend, and have Go Set a Watchman coming tomorrow. Although I have a Kindle (which is fine for travelling - because creased book corners are a pet peeve), I still prefer a 'proper' book. If I could, I'd have an entire wall with shelves for books (and an empty bank balance as a result :tongue:)

Oooh the tea sounds interesting! :biggrin:
Reply 144
I need a minute to be grouchy, and then I'll go back to sickeningly optimistic :tongue:

Not much to report progress-wise. I re-enrolled last week as a part-timer, so that's sorted.

Went to the coast over the weekend; not a fan of the place itself, but I like being by the sea. I wonder sometimes if things had panned out differently, if I would have remained in Ireland; I rented a little house where if you walked into the back garden, there was a lawn and at the end, a drop off the edge of a cliff - they don't do fences there :laugh: - but opposite the front of the house was fields, and you didn't have to go far to walk up a mountain (if you like that kind of thing :tongue:). I really miss it at the moment.

Work is horrible today; there was a 10-minute period this morning where it all just went to **** - it all came at once, and I don't have a solution for any of it.

If anyone wants to give up on being an adult and run away with me, you're welcome to join. Although I'll probably be found in some kind of shed in a corner far away from civilisation :tongue:

On a less grouchy note, I'm meeting up with a uni friend for dinner tonight. We live about 15 miles away from each other, work in the same borough, but have only been able to meet up a handful of times over the last few years. Looking forward to a catchup, gossip and some time to put the world to right :smile:
Original post by Pixsoul
I need a minute to be grouchy, and then I'll go back to sickeningly optimistic :tongue:

Not much to report progress-wise. I re-enrolled last week as a part-timer, so that's sorted.

Went to the coast over the weekend; not a fan of the place itself, but I like being by the sea. I wonder sometimes if things had panned out differently, if I would have remained in Ireland; I rented a little house where if you walked into the back garden, there was a lawn and at the end, a drop off the edge of a cliff - they don't do fences there :laugh: - but opposite the front of the house was fields, and you didn't have to go far to walk up a mountain (if you like that kind of thing :tongue:). I really miss it at the moment.

Work is horrible today; there was a 10-minute period this morning where it all just went to **** - it all came at once, and I don't have a solution for any of it.

If anyone wants to give up on being an adult and run away with me, you're welcome to join. Although I'll probably be found in some kind of shed in a corner far away from civilisation :tongue:

On a less grouchy note, I'm meeting up with a uni friend for dinner tonight. We live about 15 miles away from each other, work in the same borough, but have only been able to meet up a handful of times over the last few years. Looking forward to a catchup, gossip and some time to put the world to right :smile:

Hope you've had a great evening :smile: Sounds like you need it after that day at work :frown: Huge hugs :console: :hugs: :yep:
Reply 146
Hope you've had a great evening :smile: Sounds like you need it after that day at work :frown: Huge hugs :console: :hugs: :yep:

My post disappeared :s-smilie:

It was good, thank you.

We had a grumble about our jobs and put the world to right.

I saw a job earlier, which on paper at least, was almost perfect - it was in a school, not ridiculously far away - the deadline for applications was yesterday though :frown: Although, in all honesty, I'd probably have applied only to see if anything came of it; pretty sure I'm going to be where I am forever.
Original post by Pixsoul
My post disappeared :s-smilie:

It was good, thank you.

We had a grumble about our jobs and put the world to right.

I saw a job earlier, which on paper at least, was almost perfect - it was in a school, not ridiculously far away - the deadline for applications was yesterday though :frown: Although, in all honesty, I'd probably have applied only to see if anything came of it; pretty sure I'm going to be where I am forever.

:jumphug: Sorry to hear that about the job deadline, tiz always a bummer when that happens :frown:

Glad you had a good time meeting your friend though :hugs:
Reply 148
:jumphug: Sorry to hear that about the job deadline, tiz always a bummer when that happens :frown:

Glad you had a good time meeting your friend though :hugs:

Ah it's fine. I have to chuckle about the timing because yesterday I would have applied without question.

I've been working for the same person (mainly) for the last 12 years and my work and home life are all tied together. I'm more than likely staying put :tongue:
Reply 150
“Don’t you want to be a mum?”
The question to which there is no simple answer.
In the context of the conversation, it wasn’t a criticism - it was asked without having any idea of what has happened in the past - and they apologised for asking as soon as they said it, but meh. People ask, and I guess it's to do with age and that expectation that you'll meet someone, get married, have kids, live happily ever after.

My youngest brother has gone off to uni this week. He’s more than old enough to look after himself (about to turn 26) but I worry for him; I think just because it's his first time away from home, and probably because in my head, he's still much younger.

Struggling to remember things. Person I live with is getting ****** off by it. Seriously :frown:

Going to London for the weekend to hibernate.
Original post by Pixsoul
“Don’t you want to be a mum?”
The question to which there is no simple answer.
In the context of the conversation, it wasn’t a criticism - it was asked without having any idea of what has happened in the past - and they apologised for asking as soon as they said it, but meh. People ask, and I guess it's to do with age and that expectation that you'll meet someone, get married, have kids, live happily ever after.

My youngest brother has gone off to uni this week. He’s more than old enough to look after himself (about to turn 26) but I worry for him; I think just because it's his first time away from home, and probably because in my head, he's still much younger.

Struggling to remember things. Person I live with is getting ****** off by it. Seriously :frown:

Going to London for the weekend to hibernate.

:jumphug: to infinity :hugs: :console: :penguinhug:

Some people can be so rude and thoughtless sometimes. I'm sure they meant no harm but still...

I still swear my younger sister is 12. As do many of my secondary school friends who knew her at that age. People get rather confused when I say she's a fully-fledged doctor and are like :eek4:

I'm heading to Oxford this weekend, otherwise I would have said let's try and hang. Though my head's not that great either...

:hugs:
Reply 152
:jumphug: to infinity :hugs: :console: :penguinhug:

Some people can be so rude and thoughtless sometimes. I'm sure they meant no harm but still...

I still swear my younger sister is 12. As do many of my secondary school friends who knew her at that age. People get rather confused when I say she's a fully-fledged doctor and are like :eek4:

I'm heading to Oxford this weekend, otherwise I would have said let's try and hang. Though my head's not that great either...

It wasn’t meant badly, I know I’m just being overly sensitive. I think this is a bad patch; feeling somewhat defeated - between work and home I’m totally failing at adulthood. I realise I’m being mardy and need to get a grip though :tongue:

Haha yes! That’s exactly what I’m like with him.

Ah don’t worry, hope you have a lovely time :smile: and :hugs: hope you’re ok. Here if I can do anything.
Original post by Pixsoul

It wasn’t meant badly, I know I’m just being overly sensitive. I think this is a bad patch; feeling somewhat defeated - between work and home I’m totally failing at adulthood. I realise I’m being mardy and need to get a grip though :tongue:

Haha yes! That’s exactly what I’m like with him.

Ah don’t worry, hope you have a lovely time :smile: and :hugs: hope you’re ok. Here if I can do anything.

I don't think you're being oversensitive at all! People can be very presumptuous and ask very intrusive questions about stuff like that, and it's just not on. I'll admit I used to ask those kinda things too until I realised just how rude and insensitive it is. It's no one's business :nah:

You're not failing at all! Don't think that :hugs:

Reply 154
I need to get my **** together, so I'm going to get any grouchiness out of my system, and then make a plan.

So...

Work has reached an epic low, which given what has happened already this year, I didn't think was possible. There’s more to come today.

GP suggested today that I go back to the memory clinic. I declined. I can't face being told to write stuff down, when it won't help me remember to turn the hob off, that I'm running a bath, or where I'm going on the train (although maybe for that one it did because I had to look at the ticket :colondollar:). On a separate note though, I did learn (after burning the **** out of a pan) that boiling white vinegar in the pan will save it.

Spent a weekend in London; although more accurately, I went to a hotel and caught up on work all weekend, which was fine because without that time, I would probably still be struggling to keep my head above water with marking. When I finally wandered out for a coffee, the person who took my order asked if I'd had a good day because I looked happy; and I was - I hadn't spoken to anyone, had calls, texts, or answered emails in almost 24 hours. Turns out that sometimes the best medicine is silence, to wake up without being woken, and to sit in pyjamas until 10am :tongue:

There is a recall day at uni next month - that's officially when we start back. I have a year to get the dissertation finished, which is plenty of time, as long as I don't procrastinate. The plan is to read (and read and read) between now and the recall day; take a plan with me and talk through it to try and make sure it's on point, as I need to keep it really focused and not go off on a tangent (which was something that was identified as a possible issue when I submitted the proposal).

Time to get back on track. This has become a life venting space, rather than study.

…Might need a kick every once in a while.
Huge hugs for work reaching a new low - sounds quite worrying :s-smilie: Sorry I've not been in touch. You can always prod me to vent :hugs:
Reply 156
Huge hugs for work reaching a new low - sounds quite worrying :s-smilie: Sorry I've not been in touch. You can always prod me to vent :hugs:

Ty

Hope you’re ok? :hugs:

Sorry I’ve been rubbish at messages
Original post by Pixsoul
Ty

Hope you’re ok? :hugs:

Sorry I’ve been rubbish at messages

No need to apologise at all! :penguinhug:

I'm getting there, slowly but surely :colondollar:
Reply 158
I am a tired bunny.

I was supposed to go into uni last week for a recall day but things at work are still messy (although somewhat calmer for the moment), so I couldn’t take the time off. Progress is slow. I cannot pretend to have done anything remotely uni-related over the last few weeks, apart from bookmarking a few news stories which have been relevant to my topic, so not going in was probably a good thing. I have a meeting scheduled with someone at uni about the dissertation though, and I've sent off various things for it, so I'm trying to convince myself that it's something :colondollar:

This week is one of the personally difficult periods of the year but I think I’m fairly ’together’ about it.

Over the last couple of weeks there has been ‘wave of light’ which marked the end of baby loss awareness week, as well as the #metoo hashtag trending (which I think is something that has been around much longer - a number of years in fact - than the recent events which have propelled it). While I’ve not joined in on either publicly, it has been eye opening. Both are often unspoken until people find a kind of strength in numbers. #metoo has also sparked more conversation around men who are assaulted, something which I think is needed.

On a completely separate note, I booked flights to go away over the Christmas period :biggrin: It can’t come soon enough. I’m a little bit scared - my friend is leaving the week before, and then when his (luckily) now-not-so-little one finishes school for the holidays, we’re travelling down to London to fly from there. It’s also not a direct flight. Worried I’m going to lose a kid at an airport, miss a flight, lose bags, or one of a hundred things… I’m not a good flyer :laugh: But…. :excited:Got a few things to cross of the bucket list while we're there.
Nice about the flights! So sorry it's a difficult week for you. Here if you need to talk :jumphug:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending