Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Ive just finsihed school (6th form) but im on a gap year and want to do AS physics. Im going to try and teach itmyself using textbooks and then just take the exams. Isit as simple as that? I know i have to do practicals, im sure i can do that at my old school, but do i have to register with the exam board that im actually going to start it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badboy killa)
    Hi,
    Ive just finsihed school (6th form) but im on a gap year and want to do AS physics. Im going to try and teach itmyself using textbooks and then just take the exams. Isit as simple as that? I know i have to do practicals, im sure i can do that at my old school, but do i have to register with the exam board that im actually going to start it?
    yes, you can teach it to yourself EASILY using textbooks AS physics is a piece of piss.

yeah just go into your school on the exam days, no need to go to lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badboy killa)
    Hi,
    you could do it with ICS home study!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    you could do it with ICS home study!
    no, that costs about £ 200

just do it with your school, much easier and cheaper

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by do it with your school. Im no longer a pupil so i wont be able to do it with them, unless you mean just sit the exams with them? Is that all i do, sit the exams?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go and talk to your school about it as soon as possible - it is made more complicated by the fact that you have to do practicals. Also, if you want to sit exams with the school, you have to be registered with that exam centre although I don't think this needs to happen until later in the year. So talk to your school - they know best, and I'm sure will be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    you have to do practicals.
    ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    ?
    Don't you? On CCEA you do, but maybe not on some of the English boards.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you? On CCEA you do, but maybe not on some of the English boards.
    No, on AQA we do coursework.

ReputationRep:
    No, on AQA we do coursework.
    Ahh I see. So you don't do any practical work at all? No messing about with lenses or rheostats? That must be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see. So you don't do any practical work at all? No messing about with lenses or rheostats? That must be nice.
    Well, we do practical work to obtain results for the coursework, but we hand in coursework and it gets marked.

ReputationRep:
    Well, we do practical work to obtain results for the coursework, but we hand in coursework and it gets marked.

Right. We do practical work in test conditions, but with only teachers present, and have to record our results and make calculations, observations etc. We then also have to plan an experiment, and do a structured question on a particular experiment. This script is then sent to be marked.

Do you do a practical for chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Right. We do practical work in test conditions, but with only teachers present, and have to record our results and make calculations, observations etc. We then also have to plan an experiment, and do a structured question on a particular experiment. This script is then sent to be marked.

Do you do a practical for chemistry?
    Don't do Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do Chemistry.
    Good answer.

ReputationRep:
    I do chemistry and physics and we do practical work in both, but only one practical is assessed for coursework. I did well in mine, despite complaining constantly about how pathetic practical work is. I often refuse to do the practical work, because it is detrimental to my learning, or I am too lazy... One or the other, its not like I cant do it, just that I wont. Science shouldn't be applied, why dont my teachers listen?

ReputationRep:
    AS physics is pretty easy..... and if u dont have practicals then u shouldnt have any trouble....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [_Z_])
    AS physics is pretty easy..... and if u dont have practicals then u shouldnt have any trouble....
    Id have to do practicals, as the only other option is coursework which is even harder to get set and marked when your not at school then just coming in for one practical.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.