The Student Room Group

Homesick

I know I haven't been at uni long (arrived on Saturday) but I'm regretting everything so much right now. I decided to come from America to the UK for university and all I've been able to think about is that I'm going to be a 6-7 hour plane ride from my parents for the next three months. They're in London until the 20th and I know it's really stupid but all I want to do right now is phone them up and beg them to take me back with them.
The people in my flat all seem lovely but they're all big on clubbing and seem to be going out every night. I went clubbing with them on the first night because I'd never gone before and really didn't enjoy myself so I don't know what to do there.
I'm just feeling really alone and I'm scared it's only going to get worse when my parents leave London and I'm even further away from them.
I was so excited to go to university and now I've cried every single morning when I've woken up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by afern
I know I haven't been at uni long (arrived on Saturday) but I'm regretting everything so much right now. I decided to come from America to the UK for university and all I've been able to think about is that I'm going to be a 6-7 hour plane ride from my parents for the next three months. They're in London until the 20th and I know it's really stupid but all I want to do right now is phone them up and beg them to take me back with them.
The people in my flat all seem lovely but they're all big on clubbing and seem to be going out every night. I went clubbing with them on the first night because I'd never gone before and really didn't enjoy myself so I don't know what to do there.
I'm just feeling really alone and I'm scared it's only going to get worse when my parents leave London and I'm even further away from them.
I was so excited to go to university and now I've cried every single morning when I've woken up.

Everyone feels like this at the start. Give it time- you will adapt to where you are, make friends, develop hobbies and grow to love the place you are. In some ways, it will probably help when your parents head back to America, as that temptation will go. Honestly, this is normal, and it just takes that initial stage of feeling like this, but then things get better
To say everyone misses home at first would be a sweeping statement, which just isn't true. Some people cope far better away from home than others. It's that little feeling of anxiousness of being away from that security you had back home.

Sounds like you need to make some friends you can stay in with, rather than finding people to go out with. You don't have to want to go out partying every night, it's acceptable to just stay in, but make the effort with your flat mates if you can to go out now and again if you can tolerate the nights out.
Original post by afern

I totally feel ya, gurl. It's my first day away from home and I'm already feeling terrible. I cry every time I think of my parents and just like you, I can't stop thinking about the ride home that I've already booked for December..
Reply 4
Thanks so much everyone for the advice! I'm feeling miles better now than I did when I made this thread :smile:
Original post by afern
Thanks so much everyone for the advice! I'm feeling miles better now than I did when I made this thread :smile:

There you go then, lovely. Dry your eyes and work hard and be proud of yourself and make your parents proud. Think of your future and what a star you'll be. X

Quick Reply

Latest