The Student Room Group

Don't like my uni accommodation but it's my only option

So I applied through clearing and have been given catered...I really wanted self catered but that's something I can do second year. The thing that worries me is the accommodation itself has a lot of really bad reviews, to the point where I'm considering withdrawing, taking a gap year and reapplying next year in the hopes of getting better accommodation. Where it's catered, there's only a small kitchen and as such, no social area, which really worries me because I'll struggle to get to know the flatmates... I don't want to be in a situation where I'm not getting 100% out of uni but at the same time taking a gap year and feeling like I have no direction for a year isn't too appealing either... Maybe I'll travel if I have one but I know universities don't like them too much. Would it be best to give the accommodation the benefit of the doubt for a term and change if I don't like it??? Idk, I'm just not 100% about it and feel like maybe I shouldn't go if that's the case, all my friends are excited for uni and then there's me thinking about how much I'm not gonna like the accommodation and pretend to make it work if I don't
Reply 1
I personally would go for it, I was put in an accommodation that I didn't apply for which also had some pretty bad reviews but when I got there it was fine and you just focus on getting to know people. Seriously, don't be afraid to knock on people's doors and maybe suggest you go and eat together. If it's really that terrible after a few weeks/months you don't have to stay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Catered > Self-Catered
Reply 3
Year will fly by, worse thing to do would be a gap year just cause of accomdation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending