Why do I keep getting nasty comments about running my own business?

Announcements

I tried to be normal! I did do an apprenticeship for nearly 2 years which went horribly wrong, has they conned me out of a load of money. I was never much good at school!
    However, all I have ever wanted to do is run my own business. My father and uncle have always run a business, so it kind of runs in the family! Even when the apprenticeship did go well at the start, I was never 100% happy. All I kept thinking throughout my school and doing the apprenticeship is “I want to run a business”. After the whole apprenticeship saga. My Mum allowed me to start a business, instead of finding another job. I fantastic opportunity I wasn’t going to miss out on! Unfortunately, others have not been so supportive. One friend I see very often, when I go around there. They seem to like rubbing in the fact their son is going to Uni. I have been extremely supportive and have congratulated them tons of times, never once have I made any sarcastic comments. I often get comments at their dinner table such as “When you get a proper job, we can celebrate by getting the champagne out” and the other day I was having some general discussion about people having their retirement. I then got the comment “You are already semi-retired) The friend can also be very nosy. Often says things like “Shall we have a look at what your making?”. I’m sure that’s just to report back to the family. I’m just getting extremely fed up of the slimy comments that seem to come up everywhere. I then get comments such as “Are you going to insure that car at last?” Considering Mum and dad brought their car, insurance, tax and pay for the petrol – I do think that’s a bit rich! I actually have to work to get these things. Of course starting a business (doing web design) at the start, was an absolute nightmare. Trying to get those first customers!! Doing things dirt cheap and ploughing 99% of my money back into advertising. However, I have just had some larger clients from London who keep recommending me for more work and things are really looking on the up. However, I’m not the most confident person and these slimy comments are really starting to bug me. I just don’t know how to react to them, or if at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I tried to be normal! I did do an apprenticeship for nearly 2 years which went horribly wrong, has they conned me out of a load of money. I was never much good at school!
    However, all I have ever wanted to do is run my own business. My father and uncle have always run a business, so it kind of runs in the family! Even when the apprenticeship did go well at the start, I was never 100% happy. All I kept thinking throughout my school and doing the apprenticeship is “I want to run a business”. After the whole apprenticeship saga. My Mum allowed me to start a business, instead of finding another job. I fantastic opportunity I wasn’t going to miss out on! Unfortunately, others have not been so supportive. One friend I see very often, when I go around there. They seem to like rubbing in the fact their son is going to Uni. I have been extremely supportive and have congratulated them tons of times, never once have I made any sarcastic comments. I often get comments at their dinner table such as “When you get a proper job, we can celebrate by getting the champagne out” and the other day I was having some general discussion about people having their retirement. I then got the comment “You are already semi-retired) The friend can also be very nosy. Often says things like “Shall we have a look at what your making?”. I’m sure that’s just to report back to the family. I’m just getting extremely fed up of the slimy comments that seem to come up everywhere. I then get comments such as “Are you going to insure that car at last?” Considering Mum and dad brought their car, insurance, tax and pay for the petrol – I do think that’s a bit rich! I actually have to work to get these things. Of course starting a business (doing web design) at the start, was an absolute nightmare. Trying to get those first customers!! Doing things dirt cheap and ploughing 99% of my money back into advertising. However, I have just had some larger clients from London who keep recommending me for more work and things are really looking on the up. However, I’m not the most confident person and these slimy comments are really starting to bug me. I just don’t know how to react to them, or if at all.
    They're not really your friends are they making remarks like that? Just don't talk to them if they're like that. Hopefully when you're running up your own business you can throw it back in their faces. Just focus on the positive and try to ignore the negative Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy.

1Just ignore them.
    2. If they really get on your nerves then point it out to them ask hem why they seem so patronising and that you find it insulting as well as asking them to stop. If they were your friends they would support and not belittle you. That should sort them out.
    3. Once you are making a good go of it and hopefully if successful nad making money they will realise you have proved them wrong.

Good luck, keep going and dont worry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP,

Congratulations on starting your own business! I personally find it very admirable, even more so than landing a top job! Starting a business isn't easy at all so it's great to see you have that drive and ambition.

In life there will always be people that try to knock you down, and i tend to see this quite often when people start their own businesses. People don't tend to respect it as a career path and do sometimes look down on it. I would just say to ignore those people and use their negative stance to build yourself and motivate yourself. One day in the future, you could possible be doing better than they are. Don't let people put you down! You're following your dream, and that really is something special.

Good luck in the future!

4get the h8ers

Hey congratulations ! Starting a business from scratch is a great achievement. The early days are always difficult, but now you are established it will be very enjoyable.

Just ignore the opinions of ignorant malicious people and make your own way in life.

Good luck !!*

Hi OP,

Firstly I'm sorry about the bad experience you had during your apprenticeship, it's sad to hear when people take advantage of others for the sake of it. Not OK by any means.

I'll give you some advice about running a business online. It's tricky and it's brutal. You need to have a USP, you need to know what you're capable of and you must be able to work under high pressure, being available 24/7 for your clients is also important. These days, clients expect service, they don't expect it tomorrow, they expect it now. You must stand out amongst your competitors. Price your service competitively. Is it just you in your business? Or do you have a team or friends that help you out?

I run a 'web host' of sorts. My team and I started it when I was just 14 and they were a few years older. We started it on an investment of £100. We bought a domain with a very good name, established our brand and wrote a business plan and planned. We managed to make a huge return in the first year by investing in advertising on relevant directories and websites. Having good SEO is a must. Don't rely on the guides online and do your SEO yourself, hire someone to do it for you and they can establish all of the backlinks you'll need to boost your position in the search engine results. Your biggest referer will be search engines, don't overlook them!

My business has been running since 2013, since that £100 investment we made just shy of £57,000 in Q4 of 2015. There is most certainly interest in our industry, despite what people will say in regards to 'over saturation'. If you've got a good service and a truly unique selling point, people will come and you will succeed. It takes drive, determination and passion to do it but you can do it.

I had similar comments when I was 15, people would taunt me for running my own business. You'd get the passing comment in a corridor or the sly remark from a family member. Ignore it. If you think you can do it, bloody well go for it! Don't you dare give up if you believe in yourself and your product. Don't. You. Dare.

You've got this, don't give up.

- Anon

ReputationRep:
    Them people be hatin'.

ReputationRep:
    However, all I have ever wanted to do is run my own business. My father and uncle have always run a business, so it kind of runs in the family! Even when the apprenticeship did go well at the start, I was never 100% happy. All I kept thinking throughout my school and doing the apprenticeship is “I want to run a business”. After the whole apprenticeship saga. My Mum allowed me to start a business, instead of finding another job. The I fantastic opportunity I wasn’t going to miss out on! Unfortunately, others have not been so supportive. One friend, I see very often, when I go around there. They seem to like rubbing in the fact their son is going to Uni. I have been extremely supportive and have congratulated them tons of times, never once have I made any sarcastic comments. I often get comments at their dinner table such as “When you get a proper job, we can celebrate by getting the champagne out” and the other day I was having some general discussion about people having their retirement. I then got the comment “You are already semi-retired) The friend can also be very nosy. Often says things like “Shall we have a look at what you're making?”. I’m sure that’s just to report back to the family. I’m just getting extremely fed up of the slimy comments that seem to come up everywhere. I then get comments such as “Are you going to insure that car at last?” Considering Mum and dad brought their car, insurance, tax and pay for the petrol – I do think that’s a bit rich! I actually have to work to get these things. Of course starting a business (doing web design) at the start, was an absolute nightmare. Trying to get those first customers!! Doing things dirt cheap and ploughing 99% of my money back into advertising. However, I have just had some larger clients from London who keep recommending me for more work and things are really looking on the up. However, I’m not the most confident person and these slimy comments are really starting to bug me. I just don’t know how to react to them, or if at all.
    it is jealousy plain and simple and I run my own business
    I had it in the early year when I was making £3,000, £6,000 a year
    now I make £220,000 a year and people suddenly tried to be my friends or offer themselves to me (I always fancied you but never had the confidence... pull the other one it that I make 20 times what you make working at Tesco and you want to rinse me for a Cartier watch and a couple of designer bags)

I had a friend like this who said something along the line of you should get a proper job then I'll get you a bottle of champagne
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i knew where he lived and turned up in my mercades swigging from a bottle of £1,000 141 year old cognac and told him i didn't need his negativity anymore

ReputationRep:
    Unless they specifically benefit your life, cut them out like hoes and cut them off like cancer

ReputationRep:
    Find the logic for this strange. I'd have much more respect for someone who started their own business, than someone who went to university, and I say that as graduate.

Although this doesn't apply to those who basically have had their parents start their business for them.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds so very culturally influenced.

Ignore them. They want you to fail. It's jealousy pure and simple.

They want to big themselves up and boast/bathe in the reflected glory from their own offspring.

More fool them.

You have my respect and admiration for taking the risks, putting in the hard work and answering to no-one but yourself. Do it for yourself and for no other reason.

The sky really is the limit.

Best wishes and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    the only thing you can be secure in is misery. If you want to make it big in life whether that is been a professional athlete getting a good salary going to an elite university, starting your own business or anything else you are going to have to take a leap of faith and let the pieces fall where they may.

I commend the effort and wish you success just it seems to be the usual pattern of people that make it big that they have a lot of doubters and nay Sayers.

There are a few reasons for this, firstly people do not like to face up to their own imperfections or mistakes. If you make it big you raise the issue of whether they could have made it big down a similar path. They consciously or sub consciously can often want your plans to fail because if they succeed it questions the validity of their own plans. They are comfortable in their plans and don't want to question them.

As the son of parents that run their own business whom have done really well and have been through hell along the way and yes were scothed at when they started in their youth, I have a few pieces of advice.

1. Never ever leave yourself solely dependent on any individual or company if it can be avoided. they can stab you in the back and screw you over their can be murky areas of the law and their are tricks to get around it. The seas out there are not full of pirates many are decent honorable companies and or individuals, However there are still sharks and pirates out there. Remember wolfs often come in sheep's clothing. The best of us often miss them, otherwise they would never get away with what they do.
    your best friend today can be the one that knifes you in the back tomorrow. Honorable people can still turn dishonorable if their ship is sinking or their back is against the wall.

I am not saying don't trust anyone, I am just saying don't leave yourself over exposed to anyone or anything if it can be avoided. It is not always avoidable though, as the commander of your ship you have to make that call.

2. Remember that their are great times and awful times keep a reserve rainy day funds etc.

3. Things will likely always go wrong. This is unavoidable sometimes it is things that were always out of your control sometimes it may be your silly mistake (we are all human). If you do well and expand you will likely take on employees who will likely make mistakes at some point. When times get tough remember this is part of the Journey its how you deal with it. Hold strong and never say die. This also relates to points 1 and 2.

I am very thankful for all your replies. I will just carry on despite the comments I get. To be honest, I did ignore them at the start. However, when everyone is constantly making these slimy remarks - it does make you feel rubbish.

(Original post by jamesthehustler)
    it is jealousy plain and simple and I run my own business
    I had it in the early year when I was making £3,000, £6,000 a year
    now I make £220,000 a year and people suddenly tried to be my friends or offer themselves to me (I always fancied you but never had the confidence... pull the other one it that I make 20 times what you make working at Tesco and you want to rinse me for a Cartier watch and a couple of designer bags)

I had a friend like this who said something along the line of you should get a proper job then I'll get you a bottle of champagne
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i knew where he lived and turned up in my mercades swigging from a bottle of £1,000 141 year old cognac and told him i didn't need his negativity anymore
    I can relate to you! I appreciate your comment. Most people are going off to uni, you do sometimes think "Am I mad to do this!". However, it always what I wanted to do and trying to force myself to be normal and do uni or get a job, doesn't suit me.

It's nearly been a year! Some days I feel like partying and some days I feel like going mad! Starting out was hard, I have a hell of a long way to go, however, people are starting to recommend me and business is starting to naturally come in. Obviously, you still get your bad weeks.

However from feeling extremely down from the whole apprenticeship saga which resulted in meeting MP's, having TV interviews and whatever else there was! I felt like a complete failure for a few months. Last few months I feel I'm getting my edge back and things are looking on the up. I just can't deal with any more slimy comments, I don't show any reaction. However, it hurts when most of your own family, don't like what you're doing. The only person who really believes in me is my mother. Otherwise I wouldn't even have this amazing opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to you! I appreciate your comment. Most people are going off to uni, you do sometimes think "Am I mad to do this!". However, it always what I wanted to do and trying to force myself to be normal and do uni or get a job, doesn't suit me.

It's nearly been a year! Some days I feel like partying and some days I feel like going mad! Starting out was hard, I have a hell of a long way to go, however, people are starting to recommend me and business is starting to naturally come in. Obviously, you still get your bad weeks.

Last few months I feel I'm getting my edge back and things are looking on the up. I just can't deal with any more slimy comments, I don't show any reaction. However, it hurts when most of your own family, don't like what you're doing. The only person who really believes in me is my mother. Otherwise, I wouldn't even have this amazing opportunity.
    I have to admit the first year when I had like £3,000 a year and my friends working in Tesco are saying you should sell up and just get a job it's not working I work here and make £15,000 etc. etc.
    the working life never suited me I mean I did manage it for a year but most of my wage packet went back into buying stuff to sell (most losing money or being virtually impossible to sell)
    i know i have great days where I swig cognac, scotch and champagne and light a cigar with the clients and other days I am just working myself into the ground with piles of fake gold and cubic zirconia
    I have to admit despite my 3 years it only been the last 18month when anything started to move and only the last 6 where everything took off and I'll agree with the family thing luckily a lot of the extended family supported me but only 2 really showed it one got me my first big sale in the form of a gold Rolex and the other was my great aunt who gave me a £1,000 in cash last year (I didn't ask we got talking and she showed me a few pieces she'd bought over the years and I gave her some prices and she said she wanted to help me and came down with bank wrapped block of £20's)

(Original post by jamesthehustler)
    I have to admit the first year when I had like £3,000 a year and my friends working in Tesco are saying you should sell up and just get a job it's not working I work here and make £15,000 etc. etc.
    the working life never suited me I mean I did manage it for a year but most of my wage packet went back into buying stuff to sell (most losing money or being virtually impossible to sell)
    I know I have great days where I swig cognac, scotch and champagne and light a cigar with the clients and other days I am just working myself into the ground with piles of fake gold and cubic zirconia
    I have to admit despite my 3 years it only been the last 18month when anything started to move and only the last 6 where everything took off and I'll agree with the family thing luckily a lot of the extended family supported me but only 2 really showed it one got me my first big sale in the form of a gold Rolex and the other was my great aunt who gave me a £1,000 in cash last year (I didn't ask we got talking and she showed me a few pieces she'd bought over the years and I gave her some prices and she said she wanted to help me and came down with bank wrapped block of £20's)
    Exactly how I feel. I get the comments of "You could so much more if you work in Lidl". I have nothing against or look down at people who have jobs like that,they have a massive contribution to our society. However, working for any employer is just not for me. I have tried so hard to be "normal" by getting an apprenticeship, going the sixth form. But all of that was just not for me.

I know this sounds bad, the certain friend who keeps making slimy remarks. Is off to uni on the other side of the country. Just saw him earlier for the last time before uni, got the comment of "Your doing well in life, running a business which practically makes no money". Usually, I feel quite motivated before I see that lot on my weekly visit. At least there's no more "negativity" for a while.

Of course like I stated running a business is what I always wanted to do. After being bullied in school, being done out of money by an apprentercip and now receiving the comments. Sometimes I feel like going mad! I know it's going to be a hard road, I don't feel accepted for the choice I'm making. One person accepts what I'm doing and the rest don't. Of course I can ignore negatively to a certain level, however I am only human. I can't cope with any more of these comments from anyone else, I feel as their holding me back.

I know I'm not making tons of money and I have reinvested most of the money back in the business. However a year ago after being in a dark tunnel, not knowing what I'm going to do with my life. Felt extremely down and felt like an absolute failure. I now have phone equipment, online storage, a proper web server to host the websites, done advertising and so much other stuff and most importantly satisfied clients. I know I have a long way to go, I just so believe it's worth going on. I just need to keep my confidence in shape.

OP you could try the New Enterprise scheme one of my mates did it and he now has a successful shop

OP you could try the New Enterprise scheme one of my mates did it and he now has a successful shop
    Just looked into this and I am very interested. Do you know if they allow people that are already self-employed?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Who would you vote for in an early general election?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.