The Student Room Group

Sixth form struggling to let me back.

i decided that i wanted to take a year out in order to improve my A levels to get in to a better uni next year. My sixth form have not decided whether or not to take me back due to me getting decent grades anyway. This has left me really confused and I don't know what else to do.
Does anybody know anywhere i could sit A levels in one year, improve my grades and then progress to uni from there next year? I've came across a few but for ridiculous prices that i really don't think ill be able to afford. Please help
Original post by Katelwxxx
i decided that i wanted to take a year out in order to improve my A levels to get in to a better uni next year. My sixth form have not decided whether or not to take me back due to me getting decent grades anyway. This has left me really confused and I don't know what else to do.
Does anybody know anywhere i could sit A levels in one year, improve my grades and then progress to uni from there next year? I've came across a few but for ridiculous prices that i really don't think ill be able to afford. Please help

How much are you willing to pay?
Reply 2
Well, i didn't want to pay stupid amount, like talking thousands or anything like that. Of course if i had no choice then i would have to bu
What grades have you already got?
I think sitting exams as a private candidate would be the only solution if they are good.

Are you absolutely sure this is the right strategy anyway? If you've got 'decent grades' then anyway the top universities won't like taking 3 years to get the grades they want and thereafter many employers won't like the look of 3 years study either.
Unless you had significant mitigating circumstances, like missed half a year through illness, then taking 3 years to get better than 'decent' grades probably isn't going to work out for you anyway.
MPW Cambridge??
Reply 6
Original post by BIGJohnson777
What grades have you already got?
I think sitting exams as a private candidate would be the only solution if they are good.

BBC, not brill really
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
Are you absolutely sure this is the right strategy anyway? If you've got 'decent grades' then anyway the top universities won't like taking 3 years to get the grades they want and thereafter many employers won't like the look of 3 years study either.
Unless you had significant mitigating circumstances, like missed half a year through illness, then taking 3 years to get better than 'decent' grades probably isn't going to work out for you anyway.

Ive enquired at uni of birmingham who told me as long as i took no longer than 3 years i should be fine. i was put in for special consideration in my exams due to personal reasons which the unis I'm looking at are already aware of. Just don't want to settle for a second best uni really
Reply 8
Original post by jambojim97
MPW Cambridge??

What are the prices like?
I'm currently following a similar path to you, I wanted to improve upon on my A-level grades(ABB) which were an utter disappointment. Missed out on my firm and insurance and after some deliberation decided I didn't want to impulsively go to the Uni I was offered a place to through clearing. Before making that decision I made sure to ask the school whether I could reapply and sit my exams there and was assured that would be the case. I don't know if you're seeking to go to school full time( wouldn't you then have to learn the new spec A-levels) but my plan has been to study alongside working full time.
Reply 10
Original post by sevenkings2013
I'm currently following a similar path to you, I wanted to improve upon on my A-level grades(ABB) which were an utter disappointment. Missed out on my firm and insurance and after some deliberation decided I didn't want to impulsively go to the Uni I was offered a place to through clearing. Before making that decision I made sure to ask the school whether I could reapply and sit my exams there and was assured that would be the case. I don't know if you're seeking to go to school full time( wouldn't you then have to learn the new spec A-levels) but my plan has been to study alongside working full time.

The only problem i have is I've asked my school and they are saying in order to do this i have to pay private tuition prices as some of the coursework !! I've added this up and it adds to around a thousand pounds. Some private schools are asking for two thousand so i thought for a public school to ask for this much money was really a big ask
The only problem i have is I've asked my school and they are saying in order to do this i have to pay private tuition prices as some of the coursework !! I've added this up and it adds to around a thousand pounds. Some private schools are asking for two thousand so i thought for a public school to ask for this much money was really a big ask

Ohh wow, that is quite a complicated situation. I don't know if it's something you wanna do but maybe you could try doing an A-level in something that doesn't require coursework. Even still, it does sound quite dodgy of your school to be so reluctant to take you on given you've probably been a student there for a while. If you did pay the money for either the public or private school would anything differ in terms of whether you'll be able to attend every day or only on the days required to do coursework?

Quick Reply

Latest