The Student Room Group

The TSR Official Theory Test Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I did my theory test last week and thought that it would be a good idea to share some links to mock free online theory tests...

http://www.theorytests.co.uk - register on the website and you get to do 2 free tests in dsa style. (put a minus between theory and tests for the link to work)

http://www.learnerstuff.co.uk/ - there are 2 tests on here as well as for stopping distances, speed limits & traffic signs.

http://www.bigredl.co.uk/theory.htm - unlimited mock tests but from a limited number of questions.

http://www.2pass.co.uk/theorytest.php?test=ukcar - again unlimited mock tests but from a limited number of questions.

I didn't use the dsa cd for mock tests, just these (after i'd revised from the book) and it helped me to pass my theory last saturday [35/35, 48/75 on HP] :biggrin: . So they should be useful!

Good luck to those about to do their tests.
Reply 21
*rebecca*
hey everyone! i've got my theory test on the 16th August, and I've gone through all the questions etc and have been passing the mock tests with 33s, 34s and 35s. My only problem is the hazard perception. I've tried clicking as soon as I see the hazard, clicking a couple of times after that etc and I just can't get the hang of it, and I have failed the practise tests 4 times now. I've been searching the net for any tips etc, but i can't find anything to help me. I had my eyesight tested about 2 months ago so I know it is that im just rubbish at hazards. Has anybody got any tips or anything that could help me please?? im getting frustrated atm. thnk u xxx

Just click as soon as you see a hazard and about 2 seconds afterwards and click at anything you may think is a hazard (people, oncoming cars etc.) Look far down the road as if you were driving. Can't really say much else, that's all I did for my hazard percep and it went okay :smile:
Reply 22
thanks balky bear and tabris :smile: im going to give it another go today and see how i do..fingers crossed :P
balky bear - yeh that is a weird coincidence! it seems to happen to me quite a bit - i went to a uni open day in london and the only other person interested in the same course as me was from middlesbrough!
I was wondering, what should I revise from for my theory test? I've got the disks to practice the questions and hazard perception but do I just learn all the information from the highway code or any other specific books?
Reply 24
I've learnt the theory questions from the official DSA theory test for car drivers which also has the highway code in the back. its really good for learning all the answers to the questions, and then i've used a cd-rom just to test my knowledge, as i found learning from the cd-rom too confusing
Lilian
of course ^____^
I revised for about 3 weeks, first week very light revision, 2 or 3 days half an hour or so then 2 weeks pretty much everday up to an hour ;yes;
you stand every chance :p: bearing in mind I'm quite stoopid anyway xD

Thanks Lillian how did you revise. I have been using a CD but do I have to revise the entire Highway code?
wisden14
Are people aware that the theory test is changing??

From Sept. the number of questions is going up to 50 (pass mark 43) and the cost is going up also (£28.50 I think from memory).

Seems a bit excessive to me, based on the fact that the questions at the moment are pretty inane.

That's why I am doing it on the 24th.. I don't think I will cope wth 50 questions. I might aswell get it out of the way
Reply 27
beatnik87
Thanks Lillian how did you revise. I have been using a CD but do I have to revise the entire Highway code?

Just with a CD ; kept doing mock tests till I kept getting 30+ three times in a row in a session and then the HP once-three times depending on my mood :p: usually once making sure I got 44 or over. Trust me the real thing is a lot easier as everyone says , you'll be fiiiine!
Just thought I'd pop in to recommend Focus's Driving Test Success All Tests dvd-rom. I used it obsessively in the last few days before my theory test and it worked wonders.

I also recommend owning a copy of the Highway Code - I know this book like the back of my hand, and I found it to be detrimental to the multiple choice section of the theory test.
do you actually need to know every stopping distance, and thinking, and breaking? Also do you need to know things like alcohol breath levels and stuff like that?
Reply 30
MatchDancer
do you actually need to know every stopping distance, and thinking, and breaking? Also do you need to know things like alcohol breath levels and stuff like that?

As long as you know the overall stopping distances then you can work out the thinking/braking distances by remembering that the thinking distance is 3 metres for every 10 mph (20 mph = 6 metres thinking, 30 mph = 9 metres thinking, etc.). Then just take that away from the overall distance to get the braking distance.
Reply 31
i used to panick about the stopping distances tried to learn them then on the test totally forgot thank god they didnt actually come up
Is there anywhere i can practise the Hazard perception part? Can you do it on the CD they give you, mines not working!!
Try the dvla website
I learnt so much and did so much cram revision, which is something that I never normally do. I was so nervous about it because I HAD to pass, cause my prac training and test is booked for this week. I wasn't in a good state, but I did it and passed :biggrin:
none of the hard questions came up, prob would have passed if hadn't revised. The only think I found was that because I did it at 8am and I'm normally an evening gal, my eyes were going blurry and kept having to snap my attention back to the screen. So glad that I passed though.
gawd ive got mince 2morro! im reaaaalllly nervous!
Hey, I wanna do mine before the cost/number of questions goes up. So when is that? :smile:
start of september.

you'll be very lucky to get one though.

it was soo hard for me, it was all booked up.

im having to do mine at 8:00 am!
and i have to be there for 7:45

i couldnt get in at my nearest center so im having to travel aswell!!!!!

:frown:
Damn I doubt I'll get one, I don't even have a provisional yet.

Will the next one be soooooo bad/difficult? It's not actually going up in cost that much.
Argh I'm so pleased I just spent 10 minutes refreshing the booking page and managed to get a cancellation- it's this Friday at 3:30 :eek:

Quick Reply