Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello people,
    Ever since I finished college couple of weeks ago, and during the summer holidays I have been wondering anything and everything to do with University material how it is taught and all that. I am very curious how different is the study life from college to Uni. So below are couple of questions I want to ask you people (excuse me if I have gotten carried away with the list) :-How much help and guidance should I be expecting at Uni level (I am aiming to get a 1st in the majority of the work if not all-is it doable?) - is it as much as college, less than college or completely different?
    -Would I be able to contact lecturers out of lesson hours on their work email for example to ask them if I remember something important to ask them or for support?
    -How many people are in a lecture room?
    -Would people get picked to answer questions (if lecturers feel certain students might be inactive during discussions)?
    -How is Uni material taught, is the lecturer only talking or is it a combination of Power Point presentations, hand-outs, group activities, individual sheet activities, etc?
    -If I wanted to copy down a presentation slide will the lecturer let me do that, as he/she is presenting?
    -Will the lecturers upload the teaching material they taught for the day onto online resources like blackboard for example?
    -How long are the lectures? How long is break and lunch?
    -Do they last most of the day (like college lessons) or are they much shorter than that?
    -In a day are the lectures longer but few of them or shorter but last through the day?
    -What are the ways lecturers grade students, are they strict compared to college marking?
    -I am aware that it varies from course to course whether it will be just exams or just coursework or a combination of both. Let's say both, do lecturers give you enough resources and helping material to do assignments - is it like the coursework in college? Would I be allowed to ask for help once they have set us the assignment or would I be on my own from the word "go"? What is the extent lecturers are allowed to help and are NOT allowed? With exams, how do lecturers prepare students for exams, do they provide us with studying resources or are we on our own there?
    -When there is an exam coming up, will lecturers dedicate some lessons for revision/preparation before moving onto the next thing?
    -With coursework and assignments, will we get time within the lectures do to part of the assignment or do the lecturers leave all of it to us for out of Uni hours?
    -Say for example there was a lecture at which I was present for the entire time and I was listening but still didn't manage to get my head round it for whatever reason, am I allowed to ask for a private with that lecturer to go over some things like a one to one session or is that a big "Uni no no"?
    -When the induction week is over and done with, and when we officially start our courses, how quickly does the level of difficulty of the material taught escalate and how difficult will it be by the time we break up for Christmas holidays?
    -Why do Universities work with semesters? What do they symbolize, what do they mean? What would usually happen from a semester to a semester? What happens in a single one?
    -In college we used to get the occasional 1 week holidays before the big breaks like Christmas, with Uni it's only the big breaks without those single weeks half term. Is that because the college days were longer with long lessons so we needed the occasional breaks but with Uni the lectures are not as long and fewer during the day and we can easily cope without those 1 week breaks? Is that right? Correct me if I am wrong!
    -Does every student at Uni get days off or are there students that don't get them?-From when till when would be the typical long day be at Uni? (In college it was from 9:00am till 4:30pm)If I have missed out something please add more information around those questions! Introduce me to the Uni No Nos Dos Don'ts when it comes to dealing with lectures and taught material. Please don't answer vaguely, be specific since this is all new to me yes like every other person but those are questions that really have bugged my mind during the summer holidays!Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I'm also a first year student so I'll only be able to answer a few of the questions. Honestly, for some of the questions it totally depends on you're course - have you received you're timetable?

-Would I be able to contact lecturers out of lesson hours on their work email for example to ask them if I remember something important to ask them or for support?
    I'm sure most universities provide students with a university email account in which you are able to contact lecturers. The lectures will give you their email addresses on the induction week

I'm doing chemistry, so for the first two years, we've got both chemistry students studying BSc as well as Msci, therefore there will be about 100-200 students I expect. Totally depends on you're course. Some courses only accept about 30 students.

You will know when you receive you're timetable. My lectures are about two hours with 3 hour lab works.
    Lectures can be taught at the time of lunch; for instance I have a lecture from 11:00 to 13:00 in a Wednesday, which means there isn't the usual lunch time for me. There is no fixed lunch or break time like college/sixth form.

-When there is an exam coming up, will lecturers dedicate some lessons for revision/preparation before moving onto the next thing?
    I'm not sure about the lecturers but the societies (in my case the chemistry societies), hold revision classes closer to exam period. This is done by the second/third year students.

-Does every student at Uni get days off or are there students that don't get them?-From when till when would be the typical long day be at Uni? (In college it was from 9:00am till 4:30pm)

Again, depends on you're timetable and you're revision method. On Monday, I finish at 11am, but I might want to stay in the library for some time or I may have society meet ups which take up time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chochiana)
    Hello people,
    Ever since I finished college couple of weeks ago, and during the summer holidays I have been wondering anything and everything to do with University material how it is taught and all that. I am very curious how different is the study life from college to Uni. So below are couple of questions I want to ask you people (excuse me if I have gotten carried away with the list) :-How much help and guidance should I be expecting at Uni level (I am aiming to get a 1st in the majority of the work if not all-is it doable?) - is it as much as college, less than college or completely different?
    -Would people get picked to answer questions (if lecturers feel certain students might be inactive during discussions)?
    -How is Uni material taught, is the lecturer only talking or is it a combination of Power Point presentations, hand-outs, group activities, individual sheet activities, etc?
    -If I wanted to copy down a presentation slide will the lecturer let me do that, as he/she is presenting?
    -Will the lecturers upload the teaching material they taught for the day onto online resources like blackboard for example?
    -Do they last most of the day (like college lessons) or are they much shorter than that?
    -In a day are the lectures longer but few of them or shorter but last through the day?
    -What are the ways lecturers grade students, are they strict compared to college marking?
    -I am aware that it varies from course to course whether it will be just exams or just coursework or a combination of both. Let's say both, do lecturers give you enough resources and helping material to do assignments - is it like the coursework in college? Would I be allowed to ask for help once they have set us the assignment or would I be on my own from the word "go"? What is the extent lecturers are allowed to help and are NOT allowed? With exams, how do lecturers prepare students for exams, do they provide us with studying resources or are we on our own there?
    -With coursework and assignments, will we get time within the lectures do to part of the assignment or do the lecturers leave all of it to us for out of Uni hours?
    -Say for example there was a lecture at which I was present for the entire time and I was listening but still didn't manage to get my head round it for whatever reason, am I allowed to ask for a private with that lecturer to go over some things like a one to one session or is that a big "Uni no no"?
    -When the induction week is over and done with, and when we officially start our courses, how quickly does the level of difficulty of the material taught escalate and how difficult will it be by the time we break up for Christmas holidays?
    -Why do Universities work with semesters? What do they symbolize, what do they mean? What would usually happen from a semester to a semester? What happens in a single one?
    -In college we used to get the occasional 1 week holidays before the big breaks like Christmas, with Uni it's only the big breaks without those single weeks half term. Is that because the college days were longer with long lessons so we needed the occasional breaks but with Uni the lectures are not as long and fewer during the day and we can easily cope without those 1 week breaks? Is that right? Correct me if I am wrong!
    -Does every student at Uni get days off or are there students that don't get them?-From when till when would be the typical long day be at Uni? (In college it was from 9:00am till 4:30pm)If I have missed out something please add more information around those questions! Introduce me to the Uni No Nos Dos Don'ts when it comes to dealing with lectures and taught material. Please don't answer vaguely, be specific since this is all new to me yes like every other person but those are questions that really have bugged my mind during the summer holidays!Thank you in advance!
    That is alot of questions, but luckily for you im bored so I'll give it a go.

However my answers might not be anything like what you will experience, as it will all depend on subject, university and lecturers. For the record I study psychology.

How much help and guidance should I be expecting at Uni level (I am aiming to get a 1st in the majority of the work if not all-is it doable?) - is it as much as college, less than college or completely different?

It depends what type of college. I did an access course and would say uni is around the same level in difficulty, but the workload is a bit more.

Yes all my lecturers give out their email address, however some may take a week or two to reply.

Around 200-300 but this will vary greatly for a variety of courses

Not in mine but again this will vary

Mine is pretty much 90% a lecturer talking with the aid of powerpoints. Plus 10% stats workshops where you just work through a task

Yes but they won't wait so write fast if your material is not online (mine is)

Mine do not all unis do

My lectures are 2 or 3 hours long with a 15 min break for 2 hours or 30 mins for 3 hours

I'm going in to my third year and the longest day I have had was 5 hours with an hour break

This has pretty much already been asked. Basically I'm normally on 3 days one lecture each day

Again this depends on your college course, uni course and the markers.
    Some markers are known for being tougher, but that's just something you learn as you go along

-I am aware that it varies from course to course whether it will be just exams or just coursework or a combination of both. Let's say both, do lecturers give you enough resources and helping material to do assignments - is it like the coursework in college?

In mine all the basic resources you need for a piece of coursework are covered in the lectures. You then go and do your own research to build up the work, and get higher marks

Would I be allowed to ask for help once they have set us the assignment or would I be on my own from the word "go"? What is the extent lecturers are allowed to help and are NOT allowed?

Our lecturers sometimes offer help sessions for coursework where you can talk through your plan and they might give some tips, but they won't give any straight a answers about the content more about the structuring.

With exams, how do lecturers prepare students for exams, do they provide us with studying resources or are we on our own there?

At my uni there are study skills sessions you can go to which focus on the basic skills like revision skills for each exam type etc
    We also have a couple of sessions in lectures on what you need to revise, the basics of what to put in an exam essay etc

Just answered

No it is normal that you are supposed to work an extra 30 hours a week outside of lectures (not that I ever have)

Yes at mine you either go and talk to them at the end of the lecture, email them, or book an appointment.

I found it roughly the same level for the whole of the first year, but there wasn't many hand in dates until December

They are basically just terms really. If your modules are quite small then you might start new modules in the second semester.

It is because colleges operate alot like schools. However a lot of unis have reading weeks which are like half terms but may not be at the same time as half term.

-Does every student at Uni get days off or are there students that don't get them?-From when till when would be the typical long day be at Uni?

Every course is different more practical courses tend to have longer hours with maybe one day off a week if any. Academic subjects students tend to be more like 10 hours a week. However it still all depends on what course and what uni you are going to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.