Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is the past tense of quit?

I always held the belief that it was 'quat' until last year when I was informed that it wasn't a real word.

It was along the lines of:

friend: Hows college going?
    me: I quat biology
    friend: you what?!
    me: I quat biology
    friend:quat?
    me:yeah..you know I quit
    friend: oh right.
    friend: you know that isn't a real word, don't you?
    me: ! but I've been using it for years!

etc.

But I couldn't find a satisfactory equivelent and I'd become quite attatched to the word quat so I continued using it.

Actually come to think of it I don't care what actual past tense of quit is. I think we should all use the word quat.

</random>

ReputationRep:
    lol. that made me laugh. i think the past tense is just 'quit'

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Quat? Lol! I think the past tense is still 'quit'. Or it might be 'quitted' sometimes. Now you've got me confused.

LOL! Brilliant, well yes the proper past tense is still quit, but i'm sure some people use quat, people like you....and ducks?

ReputationRep:
    have quitted

ReputationRep:
    what is wrong with you people.

its just quit!

ReputationRep:
    Tony Blair quat Downing Street last night after 420,000 mancs were protesting in Whitehall.

The Metropolitan Police say they have never witnessed anything like it in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    lol. that made me laugh. i think the past tense is just 'quit'

lou xxx
    I hate to think how many other times I must have embarrassed myself by using that word and not realising. I mean thats like 16 years of using that word, and nobody telling me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    what is wrong with you people.

its just quit!
    pffff.

Its not as good as my word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    19th August

Coming soon to a school near you
    lol. thats great

ReputationRep:
    The past tense of "squeeze" is squoze

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Tony Blair quat Downing Street last night after 420,000 mancs were protesting in Whitehall.

The Metropolitan Police say they have never witnessed anything like it in their lives.
    See! It could catch on!

ReputationRep:
    I use quat quite often though I also use quit - never really thought about it before.

(Original post by Pegasus)
    See! It could catch on!
    People think i'm weird already so what the hell, i'll start saying quat for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    People think i'm weird already so what the hell, i'll start saying quat for you.
    And squoze.

(Original post by Pzyko)
    And squoze.
    Who says i don't say that already?

ReputationRep:
    butchers!

youre destroying the english language!

in my day *mumble*

ReputationRep:
    This is one word, which illustrates the irregularities of the English Language, and the lack of a consistsnt framework, with regards to the usage of the past participle.

Quit is used in both the present and past tense - "quat" is not the past participle.

Nevertheless, if it does catch on, it may end up winning its place, in the Oxford English Dictionary, if its usgae becomes so common that it merits its place!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.