Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Scuffed a car whilst parking! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The other day I scuffed a car whilst turning into a tight parking space. I went out and checked the damage and there was just paint from my car that had transferred to theirs, you could rub it off, which i did a little. I felt guilty but was running late and did't have a pen and paper to hand so didn't leave a note. I did however leave my details with the reception in case the driver wants to take up the issue. Is there any chance i could get prosecuted by not actually leaving a note, i feel terrible and am worried sick, but as i have left details am i in the clear?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Pheoa101)
    The other day I scuffed a car whilst turning into a tight parking space. I went out and checked the damage and there was just painted from my car that had transferred to theirs. I felt guilty but was running late and did't have a pen and paper to hand so didn't leave a note. I did however leave my details with the reception in case the driver wants to take up the issue. Is there any chance i could get prosecuted by not actually leaving a note, i feel terrible and am worried sick, but as i have left details am i in the clear?
    Do you feel terrible because you have caused the damage to the other persons car or because you may get into trouble?

The other person has to notice the damage first before anything else. If it's not noticed when they return to their car and then visit reception to see if anyone left any information or if they have cctv etc. they will not notice until possibly days have passed at which time, they will have no clue where it may have occurred.

In which case, you have left them with a very bad feeling that people are dishonest and there is no honour or decency left with only selfishness and have a damaged car to prove it.

Unfortunately, this is all too true.

Your lateness has cost them one way or another in order to save your own skin - which cannot be right.

So well you should be shamed.

Did the reception take down the registration/make/model/colour details of the other car involved? You could do the decent thing and visit the police who will help you track down the address of the owner from the registration. They will not prosecute and will only be too pleased to help.

If you do manage to contact them, they are more likely to waive off the incident because you had the decency to track them down and you will feel relieved and guilt free that you did the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't trying to save my own skin, if I did i would have just driven off and left it as the damage was just paint transfer. I left all my details and the details of the car. The accident has been and gone, they happen all the time. My main concern is that i didn't leave a handwritten note on the dashboard i could have criminal action taken against me.

(Original post by uberteknik)
    Do you feel terrible because you have caused the damage to the other persons car or because you may get into trouble?

The other person has to notice the damage first before anything else. If it's not noticed when they return to their car and then visit reception to see if anyone left any information or if they have cctv etc. they will not notice until possibly days have passed at which time, they will have no clue where it may have occurred.

In which case, you have left them with a very bad feeling that people are dishonest and there is no honour or decency left with only selfishness and have a damaged car to prove it.

Unfortunately, this is all too true.

Your lateness has cost them one way or another in order to save your own skin - which cannot be right.

So well you should be shamed.

Did the reception take down the registration/make/model/colour details of the other car involved? You could do the decent thing and visit the police who will help you track down the address of the owner from the registration. They will not prosecute and will only be too pleased to help.

If you do manage to contact them, they are more likely to waive off the incident because you had the decency to track them down and you will feel relieved and guilt free that you did the right thing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 13, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.