Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I am planning on studying genetics, however some universities that interest me like UCL and Cambridge do not offer genetics as a course , but allow you to specialize in genetics through courses like biomedical and natural sciences. So I was wondering, if my personal statement is focused on genetics wouldn't this be too specific for the more general courses? OR if my personal statement is very general, wouldn't it be too vague for the specific genetic courses?Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErsieCh)
    Hi everyone! I am planning on studying genetics, however some universities that interest me like UCL and Cambridge do not offer genetics as a course , but allow you to specialize in genetics through courses like biomedical and natural sciences. So I was wondering, if my personal statement is focused on genetics wouldn't this be too specific for the more general courses? OR if my personal statement is very general, wouldn't it be too vague for the specific genetic courses?Any advice?
    Hey, I'm not a science student in any way shape or form, but I did want to offer some advice I'm currently writing mine too, for French and English, so I understand where you're coming from. Do you have your 5 university courses selected already? If so, which ones are your first 3 choices? If you can try to narrow down the best three courses into a rank order, then work out what all of them have in common. Once you've figured that out, see where the differences lie. If they're wildly different you could suggest that you're interested in a couple of different aspects of genetics, but mainly you're interested in XYZ. Try to make XYZ fit for all three of those first choice courses, and tie in the differences briefly, to make it clear that you've tried to tailor the PS to each course. Otherwise, it might be worth doing some extra research, ring the universities and ask for some more in-depth info, and you may find that the modules end up matching pretty well. Good luck
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ErsieCh)
    You can provide an additional Cambridge-specific PS in their SAQ.

I suggest you write your PS to suit the main 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.