Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is Labour is enjoying an increase in support in the south?

There are a lot of people in the south who want change and are fed up with Tory run councils. Many issues affect quality of life and are the reason why people are turning to labour.

1) Tory councils in the south provide far fewer public services than labour councils. The Tories are all for cuts in government and at local level. Tory run councils have far fewer libraries, no free car parking, poorer amenities like parks, leisure centres etc.

2) Unaffordable house prices in the south are common. Most areas in the south with Tory councils have unaffordable house and rent prices and local government won't provide council housing either.
    Take Torquay, a Tory constituency. A 2 bed flat in a run down part of Torquay near town centre with high crime, drugs problems, krokodil etc. No garden, no drive way is gonna cost £180,000.

Next take Newcastle a labour area. A 3 bed house,with garden and drive way in the affluent Jesmond area near the university, costs £160,000 average.

3) Torys claim to be pro-motorist yet their councils charge highest parking fees. Many Tory areas have got rid of free car parking and councils not only charge high parking fees, their car parks even fine people for just driving in to turn around and driving back out 5 secs later without paying. They catch people out on CCTV! Streete in Somerset and Torbay is terrible for draconian parking.

Labour areas who claim to be anti- motorist often have free parking. Its possible to find a lot of free parking in Newcastle near the city centre.

4) Tory councils have higher council tax.

5) people in the south are more likely to choose university. Yet they don't want extortionate Tory tuition fees. As a result they're more likely to vote labour or SNP.

ReputationRep:
    As somebody living there, I must disagree. I think if anything UKIP support is growing.

ReputationRep:
    You're just making stuff up now.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish. I live in the deep South in one of the safest Tory seats there is, and the only party that could worry the Tories in my area is UKIP.

The only possible explanation if this is true would be due to things in London (if you count that as the South- I don't)

ReputationRep:
    As a southerner m, you're wrong quite frankly.

On the "Tories are anti motorist" issue, Wiltshire Council which is overwhelmingly Tory got rid of all the speed cameras a few years ago. Plus all 7 MPs in Wiltshire are Tory with big majorities.

Tory Councils actually have lower council tax.

You're making stuff up to be honest based on no factual evidence.

You seem like another kid whose fallen for Corbyn And his cretins propaganda and rubbish. Just remember, Corbyn has been an MP for the same area since his 20s. He lives in a bubble of dangly earring social workers where anyone to the right of Stalin is a Tory.

ReputationRep:
    You're very ambitious about Labour aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)
    As a southerner m, you're wrong quite frankly.

On the "Tories are anti motorist" issue, Wiltshire Council which is overwhelmingly Tory got rid of all the speed cameras a few years ago. Plus all 7 MPs in Wiltshire are Tory with big majorities.

Tory Councils actually have lower council tax.

You're making stuff up to be honest based on no factual evidence.

You seem like another kid whose fallen for Corbyn And his cretins propaganda and rubbish. Just remember, Corbyn has been an MP for the same area since his 20s. He lives in a bubble of dangly earring social workers where anyone to the right of Stalin is a Tory.
    Part of their problem is that they are more opposed to the centre (well the right in their terms) of their own party than the government.

It's full on civil war for the left except only one side is fighting

ReputationRep:
    I'm a labour supporter. I live in essex, in a conservative safe seat. Even if there is a rise in Labour in the south, the likelihood is that it won't affect current MP's safe seats. In my constituency, the second biggest party is the Lib Dems, so even if there are these 'new' labour voters, it won't affect it, most likely. Its pretty pointless being a Labour voter in conservative safe seats like mine, you are better off voting Lib Dems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.