Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in upper sixth and currently take biology, chemistry and history A-level. however I have recently decided that physics is where my true interests lie and wish to do a foundation year at university and then go on to a degree in physics. I am really struggling with what to put on my personal statement as I cant say anything like I've always enjoyed physics etc. Any suggestions would be amazing, or any examples of people who have applied for the same as me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robfle15)
    I am in upper sixth and currently take biology, chemistry and history A-level. however I have recently decided that physics is where my true interests lie and wish to do a foundation year at university and then go on to a degree in physics. I am really struggling with what to put on my personal statement as I cant say anything like I've always enjoyed physics etc. Any suggestions would be amazing, or any examples of people who have applied for the same as me
    Why do you like physics and where did that interest come from? If you like the way maths is applied to a specific part of physics mention that (and why you like it) too as you'll be doing lots of maths after all

I imagine almost 100% of physics based personal statements (even ones tailored to a foundation year) mention quantum mechanics and/or particle physics and that that interest came from reading xxxx book, so maybe read a popular science book about a topic that interests you and mention that.

Have you read any of the new scientist or physics world magazines (even just once)? If there was a bit of new physics in there you liked then you could say that inspired you to purse a degree in physics

ngl most foundation years for physics look more so at grades than anything so just make sure your personal statement shows you have some interest in physics and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Why do you like physics and where did that interest come from? If you like the way maths is applied to a specific part of physics mention that (and why you like it) too as you'll be doing lots of maths after all

I imagine almost 100% of physics based personal statements (even ones tailored to a foundation year) mention quantum mechanics and/or particle physics and that that interest came from reading xxxx book, so maybe read a popular science book about a topic that interests you and mention that.

Have you read any of the new scientist or physics world magazines (even just once)? If there was a bit of new physics in there you liked then you could say that inspired you to purse a degree in physics

ngl most foundation years for physics look more so at grades than anything so just make sure your personal statement shows you have some interest in physics and you should be fine
    Thank you so much, this really helped!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.