Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm ok with the more simple equations but I'm struggling to understand how the position of the 'OH' group on the alcohol effects the name of the ester. E.g. How do you know what ester is produced when Ethanoic acid reacts with propan-2-ol? And vice versa how can you work out which alcohol produced a named ester?

Any explanations or tips would be really appreciated. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    The oxygen on the alcohol is the carboxy oxygen on the ester once produced (i.e the one that isn't the carbonyl oxygen)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    Hi,

I'm ok with the more simple equations but I'm struggling to understand how the position of the 'OH' group on the alcohol effects the name of the ester. E.g. How do you know what ester is produced when Ethanoic acid reacts with propan-2-ol? And vice versa how can you work out which alcohol produced a named ester?

Any explanations or tips would be really appreciated. Thank you

Consider these two molecules. The first one is methylethyl ethanoate. This is formed from the reaction between propan-2-ol and ethanoic acid. The second molecule is propyl ethanoate, formed from the reaction between propan-1-ol and ethanoic acid. The part of the molecule that contains the carbonyl group (C=O) takes priority (methanoate, ethanoate, propanoate, etc) while the other part of the molecule forms the prefix of the molecule (methyl, ethyl, propyl, etc).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.