The Student Room Group

First time going to the gym - any advice?

I want to start going to the gym to lose some weight. Im not fat by any means, but I do have fat that I don't need on my legs and tummy. I just want to lose weight, get healthier, and have a nice toned legs/tummy/bum.

Im a bit anxious about going to the gym cos I feel like a bit of a noob. Im nervous about how to use the machines, and that I don't have a proper routine or anything. Any advice/reassurance about how to take that first step and not worry about what other people in the gym will think?

For my requirements, would I be best off just doing cardio i.e. bike, steps, treadmill, rowing? And rather than doing sets of minutes, would I be okay just going for as long as I can till exhaustion?

Any advice much appreciated, thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Assumed op was a male and began typing, so name and now i've deleted it all fml

@Angry cucumber ask this noob
No one will judge you!!! Cant tell you the amount of times I've been fiddling around with a machine trying to work out how to use it!!! People are too busy sweating to death.
Regarding routine - try weights! They help with weight loss a lot more than cardio (though not as much as a good diet) and cardio can be done anyway, whilst you have to buy weights.
HI Natasha,

First time nerves are always expected, but they'll soon pass once you become comfortable at the gym.

Do you have access to a trainer? Gyms usually provide a free introduction session for new joiners, if yours do I'd recommend signing up, they can show you the ropes with some of the equipment and get you started.

Do they put on any HIIT Classes too? They're great for general fitness/getting healthier, so I'd highly recommend them.
Original post by Rachel58
No one will judge you!!! Cant tell you the amount of times I've been fiddling around with a machine trying to work out how to use it!!! People are too busy sweating to death.
Regarding routine - try weights! They help with weight loss a lot more than cardio (though not as much as a good diet) and cardio can be done anyway, whilst you have to buy weights.

Thank you! Do people just carry around their hoodies/water bottles with them as they go from each machine? I won't be renting a locker just cos thats £10 more a month and seems unnecessary. I have a 6kg kettle bell at home which I can a variation of standing exercises like squats (etc) with. I'll have to find out what kind of weight exercises would be good to do at the gym apart from that.
Original post by adamstrawson
HI Natasha,

First time nerves are always expected, but they'll soon pass once you become comfortable at the gym.

Do you have access to a trainer? Gyms usually provide a free introduction session for new joiners, if yours do I'd recommend signing up, they can show you the ropes with some of the equipment and get you started.

Do they put on any HIIT Classes too? They're great for general fitness/getting healthier, so I'd highly recommend them.

Thank you :smile: Im not sure about trainers to be honest, Im pretty sure they will show me around as an introduction for the equipment if I told them I was new though.

Yes Iv heard about HIIT! They seem to only have legs bums & tums, abs, and pump & tone Is it possible to incorporate HIIT using the machines at the gym? And where would I find guidance for a routine?
Original post by Natashadesigner
Thank you! Do people just carry around their hoodies/water bottles with them as they go from each machine? I won't be renting a locker just cos thats £10 more a month and seems unnecessary. I have a 6kg kettle bell at home which I can a variation of standing exercises like squats (etc) with. I'll have to find out what kind of weight exercises would be good to do at the gym apart from that.

Yeah, people carry their stuff. I just leave mine in the changing room - I don't think anyone has the effort to steal my school bag!
They have helpers at the gym as well - ask if you need anything!
Wipe your sweat.

Yes Iv heard about HIIT! They seem to only have legs bums & tums, abs, and pump & tone Is it possible to incorporate HIIT using the machines at the gym? And where would I find guidance for a routine?

HIIT training tends to be an all over workout, but they don't often involve the machines (at least from the ones I've done/seen).

In terms of a routine, I think just spend the first week trying a bit of everything and get familiar with the equipment (most of the machine will have a guide on how to use it on a sticker), then look into a routine. Google is a good tool here, there is a lot of beginner programs online that will match your goals, then after awhile you'll be able to start putting your own routine together.
I want to start going to the gym to lose some weight. Im not fat by any means, but I do have fat that I don't need on my legs and tummy. I just want to lose weight, get healthier, and have a nice toned legs/tummy/bum.

Im a bit anxious about going to the gym cos I feel like a bit of a noob. Im nervous about how to use the machines, and that I don't have a proper routine or anything. Any advice/reassurance about how to take that first step and not worry about what other people in the gym will think?

For my requirements, would I be best off just doing cardio i.e. bike, steps, treadmill, rowing? And rather than doing sets of minutes, would I be okay just going for as long as I can till exhaustion?

Any advice much appreciated, thank you!

If you want to lose weight and get fitter. Do couch to 5k on the treadmill. as you're not used to exercising at this point, anymore will annihalate you for little reward. If you do the days session and you feel you can do a bit more, sit on the static bike for 10 or so minutes and then go home.

It's also worth noting if you're serious about losing weight, you need to improve your diet.

All of this is contained in the FAQ at the top of the main fitness page :smile:
Reply 10
Watch people and copy them
[QUOTE=Truth';67630970]Watch people and copy them

No, definiely do not do that.

Machines, fairly self-explanatory. Read the stickers, look up form.

Do NOT copy people with free weights.

Look at form and from a basic knowledge of decent form you can then see who to 'watch' and who to not.

I used to be intimidated by the free weights area but i'd researched extensively. I took one look at half of these (marginally) bigger guys and their form was god awful.

Majority do an incomplete ROM.
Original post by adamstrawson
HIIT training tends to be an all over workout, but they don't often involve the machines (at least from the ones I've done/seen).

In terms of a routine, I think just spend the first week trying a bit of everything and get familiar with the equipment (most of the machine will have a guide on how to use it on a sticker), then look into a routine. Google is a good tool here, there is a lot of beginner programs online that will match your goals, then after awhile you'll be able to start putting your own routine together.

I was speaking to someone about HIIT with machines and they mentioned I go on the row machine hard for 3 mins, then less intense for 3 mins, and then repeat. Also do this on other machines. And then I also incorporate weighted exercises like squats/lunges.
Original post by Unistudent77

Look at form and from a basic knowledge of decent form you can then see who to 'watch' and who to not.

I used to be intimidated by the free weights area but i'd researched extensively. I took one look at half of these (marginally) bigger guys and their form was god awful.

Thank you! Would the workers walking around be able to help me with my form if I asked? Or is that not there job they are just their to monitor everyone?
I was speaking to someone about HIIT with machines and they mentioned I go on the row machine hard for 3 mins, then less intense for 3 mins, and then repeat. Also do this on other machines. And then I also incorporate weighted exercises like squats/lunges.

If you wnat to lose weight its 80% diet and being at a calorie deficit. Its easier to control your food intake than it is to burn more.

Gym is more about getting fit.

Imo its better to do a bit of research and have a routine so you have a plan to follow when you get there , rather than wander round feeling lost and not doing much.

Hard not to be self conscious, but nobody is bothered about you or looking at you. Everyone is there for the same reason of getting or staying healthy. Its importnat to keep going on a regular basis rather than be put off. A bottle so you cna have something to drink, some music (less boring) and soem tissue or mini towel to wipe down.

Am site cucumber put a faq up, but here are plenty of sites talking about routines. Once you have been going for about 6 weeks 3+ times a week, then you should start feeling comfier.
[QUOTE=Natashadesigner;67633762]Thank you! Would the workers walking around be able to help me with my form if I asked? Or is that not there job they are just their to monitor everyone?

I'm sure they would help you if you asked them!

However, the 'workers' at my gym just sit at desks etc.

My advice to you is:

Use machines at first. It is easy.
Research about fitness in your free time. Learn about Squatting etc (i feel this is the most important of the 'big three' for females - aesthetics wise)

After looking into stuff, use Youtube too. Finding good info is hit and miss but read the FAQ on here, that's a great start. People like Amanda Bucci, Jasmine Garcia, Nikki Blackletter are decent enough people to follow. (I'm not female so harder for me to suggest)

You'll learn about free weights and can then tackle them.

I'd say do an upper/lower split 4 times a week or full body 3 times a week.

Main thing is:

Most people have minimal knowledge, don't be intimidated.

Do your own research. Don't expect to feel confident anytime soon.

Nobody will notice you, they'll be too busy with their set. It is purely 'spotlight syndrome' if you think people are watching.

Get in a habit of going regularly, male it just something you do. You'll enjoy it most days but obviously not every time.

You'll not regret it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Thank you! Would the workers walking around be able to help me with my form if I asked? Or is that not there job they are just their to monitor everyone?

WTF
Reply 17
Original post by Unistudent77

How dare you oppose me with such nonsense.

No one cares if you used to be intimidated by free weights or grizzly bears for that matter.

If you've never been to the gym, the first time you go there, you see a machine. You think OO I WANT TO USE THAT but someone is already using it. You OBSERVE what they are doing. Once they leave, you then copy what they do.

If you want to check your form or whatever you're claiming, you ask or you go home and research. BUT FIRST AND FOREMOST YOU OBSERVE AND IMITATE TO LEARN.
Original post by Truth'
WTF

I was watching a youtube video of a girl doing her workout (she has 100k followers), and at the end she said she went up to one of the workers/trainers to help her with her squat form and he did!
Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. People at gyms tend to be nicer than you might expect. Remember that they may have been overweight once. Be honest about your goals and people will be supportive.

No expert but I would say high intensity cardio to start with to blast away some of that fat and get you fitter. Obviously dietary adjustments will be important.

Then a complete programme of general strengthening and toning up. I would recommend a few sessions with a personal trainer if possible. It will teach you how to lift weights and do exercises properly. Improving results and reducing the risk of injury.

Core exercises, squats, deadlifts and lunges will be important for you.

I started seriously going to the gym this year. Was a complete noob too but I'm amazed at the progress I have made. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest