The Student Room Group

Persuasive essay help? Points/ideas?

Hey
Can you like brainstorm different ideas on why smoking should be banned?

Like i've got the basic concept but I need to go into more depth so I need tips on how to do this.Also,what counter argument can youu make against someone who says smoking is their choice and they have a right to decide what is good for them..
Thanks
Reply 1
Smoking could be banned because:
- It causes bodily harm (could bring in evidence from well-respected doctors, NHS website, etc.)
- Treatment of smokers puts strain on the NHS and consequently tax payers' money
- In terms of future investment, a workforce that does not smoke could be more efficient and productive. For example, companies would not have to dish out sick pay so often.

As for a counter-argument, you could point out that we often regulate people's lives. For example, if I decided to cut off my arm then you wouldn't say 'oh go on then, you decide what's good for you!'. We have an obligation to help people who are in danger - this is arguably a basic ethical rule.

If you want more depth then you could explore a more philosophical approach - evaluating the idea of personal autonomy (or the idea that we own our bodies) and liberalism, which objects against government interference into personal lives. A Google search should bring up some key thinkers in these areas and criticisms. Take a look at this article: http://www.iep.utm.edu/autonomy/#H4.

If you do go down this route, don't make it too abstract. Always make sure you are bringing in evidence, which will be what I mentioned earlier about doctors' testimonies and NHS publications. Try and research some campaign groups who are arguing that smoking should be banned and they will most likely have a good bank of statistics.

Hope that helped :u:
You could also talk about the cost to the smoker - e.g if they bought a pack of cigarettes costing £6.50 per day it would cost them over £2000 a year. Maybe you could talk about other uses for that money?
You could bring in psychology - for example, the recent restrictions on smoking have alienated some smokers such that they are less likely to quit. Banning or placing restrictions on smoking may also lead to it being seen as more attractive to certain groups, such as teenagers, meaning that they are more likely to take it up. Of course it is also true that in recent years the number of smokers has gone down, but you could definitely argue that this is due to education.
A counter argument could be utilitarianism - for example, the banning of smoking would reduce the risk of second hand smoke for others, and the drain on NHS resources.
Reply 4
Thanks for all the great ideas!

Original post by inkmagpie
You could bring in psychology - for example, the recent restrictions on smoking have alienated some smokers such that they are less likely to quit. Banning or placing restrictions on smoking may also lead to it being seen as more attractive to certain groups, such as teenagers, meaning that they are more likely to take it up. Of course it is also true that in recent years the number of smokers has gone down, but you could definitely argue that this is due to education.
A counter argument could be utilitarianism - for example, the banning of smoking would reduce the risk of second hand smoke for others, and the drain on NHS resources.

and what does utilitarianism mean like how can i use it in like a sentence?
Original post by bluepearl7
Hey
Can you like brainstorm different ideas on why smoking should be banned?

Like i've got the basic concept but I need to go into more depth so I need tips on how to do this.Also,what counter argument can youu make against someone who says smoking is their choice and they have a right to decide what is good for them..
Thanks

Do some actual research.

List the arguments, order, then present them.
Dont forget the counterarguments.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Do some actual research.

List the arguments, order, then present them.
Dont forget the counterarguments.

I tried, I already wrote the essay but now I'm just editing and like you said adding in the counter argument. I tried researching what utilitarianism meant but I'm struggling to embed it into my essay.
Reply 7
Hi

Firstly, smoking can create many health risks, for example cancer. (0% of these are lung cancer, but it can affect other parts of the body as well, for example: mouth, throat, bladder, liver etc. Additionally, it will damage your circulatory system as it can create heart disease. If smoking when pregnant, there are chances of miscarriage, premature birth and still birth.

Once caught on, it is very hard to stop as the nicotine affects the brain and is addictive. The carbon monoxide from the cigarettes is poisonous as it will not allow the red blood cells to deliver oxygen to cells. Also, clots can form and the heart will have to work faster, which can
both lead to a heart attack.

Use persuasive techniques, such as stats: 80, 000 deaths each year, one in two smokers will die from a smoking related disease. Also use emotive language, explaining how the loved ones around you will also be affected. Furthermore, talk about how an innocent child will also be harmed when talking about pregnancy.

No one has any write to force someone and everyone has their liberty and right - but tell them to liberate themselves from this trap and do what's right.

Hope this helped
A
Original post by bluepearl7
Thanks for all the great ideas!

and what does utilitarianism mean like how can i use it in like a sentence?

As defined by google: The doctrine that actions are right if they are useful or for the benefit of a majority. The doctrine that an action is right in so far as it promotes happiness, and that the greatest happiness of the greatest number should be the guiding principle of conduct.

Quick Reply

Latest