Lack of self catered, non-ensuite rooms?

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, from what i can gather there are only 2 colleges in Durham that are self catered, and of those 2, 1.5 of them are fully en suite (one college is split). Can anyone tell me why the choice is so limited for people wanting the cheapest accomodation, or could anyone point me in the right direction for what i'm looking for, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1g Al)
    Hi guys, from what i can gather there are only 2 colleges in Durham that are self catered, and of those 2, 1.5 of them are fully en suite (one college is split). Can anyone tell me why the choice is so limited for people wanting the cheapest accomodation, or could anyone point me in the right direction for what i'm looking for, thanks
    You're correct, Josephine Butler college is all self-catered, and half of St. Cuthbert's. I don't know for definite why there's not a lot of choice, but maybe it's because of university traditions, students eating their meals together rather than alone/cooking independently. And with the big dining halls in each college, catered accommodation is probably the logical thing for them to provide.

In my first year at Grey College, I was on the catered deal in a non-ensuite room (there were shared bathroom facilities and a small kitchenette). Most people had the same as me. However I think there were a few 1st years who were self-catered; I'm not sure how you get onto this, it could be to do with dietary requirements or special circumstances, but self-catered is sometimes possible in other colleges that aren't advertised as "self catered". The only thing these self-catered 1st years found was that they had to live in a different accommodation block to most other 1st years, so they felt a bit isolated at times.

Definitely look into each college and email the people in charge if you need to ask questions, because they'll know best.

ReputationRep:
    This was a big problem I had when I applied for Durham - the college accommodation was highly limited for people on tight budgets. En-suites really aren't worth the expense :/

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.