FoxStudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,
I am a student at Bangor University, currently studying Psychology BSc. I am thinking of taking up a masters and PhD - thus entering the academic career pathway. However, I am worried my degree in Psychology will be enough for what I want to do. I am very interested in the biological components of psychology (Neuroscience, general anatomy and even sometimes physics) and attend biological-based modules at the university. However, I have no A levels in biology or physics (only Psychology). BUT I read books about biology and have an amateur understanding of general biology and a student level of knowledge on brain physiology. I guess what I am asking is, when it comes to applying for a masters and PhD in neuroscience-based labs, will a degree in Psychology and an obvious keen interest be enough to wow my professor?
Thanks for your time.
monkyvirus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As long as you can link your studies to the course you should be fine. I was accepted on to a Psychology PhD with a Statistics degree (the phd is about using stats in psychology but notably I have no lab or psychology experience whatsoever).

I would definitely focus on those biology-based modules in any application.
FoxStudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FoxStudent)
Hello,
I am a student at Bangor University, currently studying Psychology BSc. I am thinking of taking up a masters and PhD - thus entering the academic career pathway. However, I am worried my degree in Psychology will be enough for what I want to do. I am very interested in the biological components of psychology (Neuroscience, general anatomy and even sometimes physics) and attend biological-based modules at the university. However, I have no A levels in biology or physics (only Psychology). BUT I read books about biology and have an amateur understanding of general biology and a student level of knowledge on brain physiology. I guess what I am asking is, when it comes to applying for a masters and PhD in neuroscience-based labs, will a degree in Psychology and an obvious keen interest be enough to wow my professor?
Thanks for your time.
If you do a neuroscience masters with some taught components that will definitely help. Try getting some relevant work experience in a lab over the summer. It's definitely possible.
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think it will matter at all to be honest. Read a biological psychology textbook. You could do a taught masters in neuroscience or something which will teach you all you need to know.

When applying for a PhD having experience might help e.g. if you did a undergraduate or masters project in neuroscience, or worked or volunteered in a lab and so on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)