Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, have just finished college and I'm taking a gap year. The thing is, I'm really not happy living at home anymore, and need to know what options I have at my age for getting out? I'm not loaded, so can't afford to fork out hundreds on rent every month. I have, though, applied for jobs in the hope I can get some money together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    I'm 18, have just finished college and I'm taking a gap year. The thing is, I'm really not happy living at home anymore, and need to know what options I have at my age for getting out? I'm not loaded, so can't afford to fork out hundreds on rent every month. I have, though, applied for jobs in the hope I can get some money together.
    Well, you can go anywhere you can afford, thats about all i know, though i think it will be difficult because i wouldnt have thought u'd get payed that much

ReputationRep:
    u could always share an apartment with sumone to lower the rent and utilities expenditure , just to get u going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    u could always share an apartment with sumone to lower the rent and utilities expenditure , just to get u going
    That sounds pretty cool. How would I go about doing that, and finding someone to share a flat with or something?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds pretty cool. How would I go about doing that, and finding someone to share a flat with or something?
    well i live in dubai .. so i dont know too much about UK ... but ove here u could find one in the classifieds .... but u gotta be a bit careful though ... if uve seen trainspotting ull know wat i mean

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is spending her gap year (after uni) teaching English in Prague. They gave her a free TEFL course (teaching English as a foreign language - well recognised certificate which normally costs £700 I think) for a month as long as she teaches in their school for the rest of the school year. She gets free accommodation. So far she is having a whale of a time. I am quite jealous. I think she only needed 3 A-levels and English to be her first language.

see www.tefl.net

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jak Spencer)
    Where I live (cambridge) there are signs in loads of newsagents saying room for rent. Its basically where other people are renting the house and to lower the rent get another flatmate could be pretty cool.

Also check out the YMCA. Doesn't sound cool, but 2 of my friends live there and because they have no where else to live they get a flat in the centre of town for £2.70 a week.

If i were in your situation, however, i would get a job for a few months, do loads of fundraising and then say f*ck it and pack my bags and travel the world. Dont care where u go or what u do
    I wanna be like chandler in friends where he finds joey, or something similar, how cool would it be to like in a place like that!

ReputationRep:
    Mate I know just how you feel. I'm feeling your pain rite now but the only option i would suggest would be to go to uni . To be honest that the only reason i'm going I need a break from the family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Mate I know just how you feel. I'm feeling your pain rite now but the only option i would suggest would be to go to uni . To be honest that the only reason i'm going I need a break from the family.
    Thats partly why i'm goin to uni, i cant do what i want at home

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.